• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding dies for 338 lapua

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Guys
I tried the search but can't find my exact question. I have a Timberwolf. My current dies are Forster full body sizer and comp seater. I want a neck sizer and separate body sizer to bump the shoulder back occasionally. Im using Redding and Lee collet for my 308 set-up and it works like a charm. Lee uses 50bmg body for their 338lm collet,I have a Dillon 550 and a regular size Co-axial press and don't want to buy a bigger press. Anyways is there any advantage using a Redding S comptetion neck vs their regular S neck sizer? Thanks

Re: Redding dies for 338 lapua

johnl,

The Competition neck sizer has a micrometer adjustment on the top to set how far down you size the neck.

HTH,
DocB

Had a couple of beers earlier, now that the buzz is wearing off I'll rephrase the question. What are the benefits of a Competition neck seating die over a regular neck seating die. Yes I know its has a micrometer adjustment, but can I get away with the regular neck seating die. Like I said earlier, I have a Dillon 550 and a Coaxial presses. Thanks

Thanks Plinker, you just saved me $60, cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys
I tried the search but can't find my exact question. I have a Timberwolf. My current dies are Forster full body sizer and comp seater. I want a neck sizer and separate body sizer to bump the shoulder back occasionally. Im using Redding and Lee collet for my 308 set-up and it works like a charm. Lee uses 50bmg body for their 338lm collet,I have a Dillon 550 and a regular size Co-axial press and don't want to buy a bigger press. Anyways is there any advantage using a Redding S comptetion neck vs their regular S neck sizer? Thanks </div></div>

I use Redding Bushing dies, both FL and Neck. .365" TiNi bushing for Lapua and Norma brass and .002"ish of neck tension. I also have a Redding body die which I use for quick shoulder bumps. I now use the Forster Micro Seating die, as I got one here for cheap.

Before that, it was the Hornady New Dimension seater with their Micro-Seating stem.

I'd go bushing, but I've also bought just about every 338LM die out there.

Chris

I bought the competition neck die for my 308 only to realize the S neck die is all i need. i have the S neck die for my 338LM and it works great, i don't think i've ever used the micrometer on the neck die...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: precisionshutr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the competition neck die for my 308 only to realize the S neck die is all i need. i have the S neck die for my 338LM and it works great, i don't think i've ever used the micrometer on the neck die... </div></div>

The only time I ever used the micrometer on the neck die was when I set it up. In retrospect, it was a waste of $. If I were to do it again, I would probably go with the Full Length Type S die with a .364 bushing and with a Forester micro-seating die.

"The Competition neck sizer has a micrometer adjustment on the top to set how far down you size the neck."

Does that die do anything at all that simply backing any other neck die out wouldn't do, and for "free"? There is no point in neck sizing below the bullet base but that's not sufficently critical to have any effect on accuracy I've been able to detect so I'm puzzled about the micro-head thingy.

I am quite happy with the results with a body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer also.

I would love a Lee Collet die for the 338,I have one for my .308, but I don't have a press that will handle the 50bmg body that the 338lm is made on. Thanks for the info guys, have a non-comp S neck sizer with two TiNi bushings and a body die ordered.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love a Lee Collet die for the 338,I have one for my .308, but I don't have a press that will handle the 50bmg body that the 338lm is made on. Thanks for the info guys, have a non-comp S neck sizer with two TiNi bushings and a body die ordered. </div></div>

.338LM is based on a 416 Mag case not 50 BMG. A standard Rockchucker press can size and load .338 Lapua Mag rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love a Lee Collet die for the 338,I have one for my .308, but I don't have a press that will handle the 50bmg body that the 338lm is made on. Thanks for the info guys, have a non-comp S neck sizer with two TiNi bushings and a body die ordered. </div></div>

.338LM is based on a 416 Mag case not 50 BMG. A standard Rockchucker press can size and load .338 Lapua Mag rounds. </div></div>

Yes I know the case is based on the 416 rigby,but thanks for coming out. I was talking about the Lee Collet die, I was going to send 3 or 4 fired cases to Lee Precision and have them make me a collet neck die . The rub is that they have to use the larger die bodies ( 50 bmg ) to have sufficient strength in the die . Which means your press has to be large enough. Anyway I'm going with Redding, over and out.