• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

redding dies

andydrose72

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2012
Billings, MT
I have the Redding 3 die set. It is a series b. The neck die does not use bushings. Will the neck die bump the shoulders correctly or is the die tapered just for clearance in the shoulder area? I can't find info on this die set any were and I got them used with no instructions.

I have the Redding 3 die set. It is a series b. The neck die does not use bushings. Will the neck die bump the shoulders correctly or is the die tapered just for clearance in the shoulder area? I can't find info on this die set any were and I got them used with no instructions.

Standard and Bushing Neck dies do not bump the shoulder back, they only size the neck area, down to the neck/shoulder joint.

You either have a neck die, a body die (shoulder bumps) and a seating die, or you have a neck die, FL sizing die and seating die. You could have a taper crimp die in there, but I don't think that that's how Redding packages their 3 die set.

Chris

It's the fl die neck die and seater. I didn't thing it would bump the shoulder but I figured it would better to ask than to ruin brass or screw up the die. Thanks for the info.

It's the fl die neck die and seater. I didn't thing it would bump the shoulder but I figured it would better to ask than to ruin brass or screw up the die. Thanks for the info.

For a bolt gun, you'll use the neck die for a few cycles until the cases are hard for the bolt to close on and then you'll use the FL sizing die to bump the shoulders back. Repeat the process until the brass wears out.

That's the working plan, anyhow.

Some of us like to FL size every time, even for bolt guns and some of us don't.

Chris

And then there is the full length bushing die from Redding. Allows you to choose the neck size with a bushing, and also full length size at the same time. A lot of the bench rest guys are going back to full length sizing exclusively. Something about it keeping the neck in perfect alignment with the body. That's what I have been hearing anyway.