• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding FL Bushing Die?

Brux

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2013
GA
Anybody using this die and if so tell me what you think.

I like it. The ability to change neck tension is a huge plus. Using my old FL sizer I had fluctuating neck tension on my brass. It is now a thing of the past with the Redding type S die. It may take some tweaking to lower the runout on loaded ammunition. My runout is less than .003. The instructions will tell you to tighten down all the way then let off a quarter turn. In my setup 1/2 a turn yielded better results so YMMV.

Been using Redding FL Type-S Bushing Die for both .308 caliber and .260 Rem. Use Lapua brass and switched out the standard size button with just the decapping pin retainer. Adjust die to bump back the shoulder 0.002 on both calibers. Use the die set with the competition die holder(s) to very easily find and maintain 0.002 bump. Probably have done approximately 2500 .308 and close to a 1000 of the .260 Rem with no problems. Usually running SD around 7-9 with ES 14-20 or so. Bushing selection made for 0.002 on neck tension. I don't have experience with any other die manufacturer but see no need to change.

Use them to load for all of my calibers and love them. Have reloaded almost 4000 223rem rounds this year so far with great results all around. I use three different types of brass for a couple of 223 rifles and the ability to change bushings for a desired neck tension on each type of brass is huge for me.

So how did you figger out that you had fluctuating neck tension?
It seems like to me if you use a FL sizer you would have the same ID on the case everytime because the expander ball is the same everytime and it pushes any imperfections of the brass to the outside.
I know you have to measure for bushings but what size bushings are yall using for 308 and Lapua brass?

Loaded Lapua .308 brass with Sierra TMK 155 final assembly measured at 0.337. I have used a .335 bushing for 0.002 neck tension shooting in my Model 10 FCP HS Precision Savage approximately 2000 rounds. I don't use the expander ball but use the provided decapping pin retainer. I use a mandrel on new brass only.

Loaded Lapua .308 brass with Sierra TMK 155 final assembly measured at 0.337. I have used a .335 bushing for 0.002 neck tension shooting in my Model 10 FCP HS Precision Savage approximately 2000 rounds. I don't use the expander ball but use the provided decapping pin retainer. I use a mandrel on new brass only.

I don’t use the expander either. I turn my necks.

Do you have to turn necks to use this die properly?

Neck turning your brass is not necessary to use the Redding FL Type-S bushing die. I can chronograph single digit SD's without ever neck turning. I am not aware of the reloader who turns necks with factory chambers but my wingspan of shooting knowledge is local. Custom chambers with "close" tolerances are debated to lend themselves to neck turning. Redding has a Tech Q&A that thoroughly discusses their die, it's setup, use and even what if's. Hope the info helps you.