• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding FL Type S Bushing Die...Help with set up...

johnsta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
CA, USA
Hey guys

I am getting into the bushing sizing dies. I have a Redding FL Type S Sizing die for my 308. I am using Lapua brass with a .336 bushing. How far down the neck is the bushing die supposed to size? I am only able to get the die to size about 1/2 way down the neck. Is this normal? Am I not doing something right with the set up of the die? I was under the impression that the neck is sized all the way down. I have the FL die set for proper headspace. Thanks guys!

They dont go down all the way. 1/2 to 3/4 is fine, as you want the bushing to "float" a bit. I personally go with 3/4 but that is me.

The top portion of the die adjusts the amount that the neck sizes, you can also flip the bushing upside down.

Here is the link from Redding

Concentricity & Bushing Dies | Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment

Ok, cool thanks. I just figured I was doing something wrong because I can't neck size more than 1/2 way down the neck. I can't get it any further. Is that normal for 308?

Redding FL Type S Bushing Die...Help with set up...

No I have the same die and have it setup for 3/4. Now you mentioned that your headspace is fine. So if you are bumping 2 thou the case is getting high enough into the die. The black knob up top goes in and out as well the further in will increase how far down the neck is sized. As moving out will allow more bushing float. Inward secures the bushing against the shelf. You don't want it bound as you can end up with some funky runout.

Now remember the further inward you go will also lower the de capping pin so you want to keep An eye on that.

Just take a firs brass. Unscrew the black know a few turns and start sizing. Keep an eye on how far down the neck it goes. Keep turning clockwise (in) until you get where you want.

Lastly if you trimmed your brass necks short it will appear as it's only going 1/2 or so as only so much brass is going into the bushing.

In the end 1/2 will be fine. As long as they are all consistent.

Last edited:
I like it to size 1/2 the neck. Theory is that it is enough to grip the bullet firmly, and the unsized lower portion of the neck helps center the neck in the rifle's chamber. It seems to work for me!