• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Graphite Neck Lube

Re: Redding Graphite Neck Lube

Nope. Except this stuff is a Redding product, even though it says Imperial. Imperial makes a dry neck lube that beats anything else I have ever used. I think it is moly powder with tiny ceramic beads. The beads carry the moly but don't stick to the case when you dip the neck in the stuff. Got mine @ Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/892537/...581BrandPopProd

I just got some of the Redding/Imperial stuff last week and only have had a chance to run a handful of cases to see how it worked.

With that limited test I have to say that it is easy and seems to work well. I will also say however that getting the dry lubricant to really "mix" well with the small ceramic beads has taken a lot of shaking and even now it doesn't look like it is really well "mixed" if that is the right term to use here.

The other thing I noticed is that it left a lot of residue on the case - 338LM in the handful that I tested with. It wipes off ok though not completely with a paper towel so in that regard it is a somewhat messy system in my opinion. I'm curious to see how much build up, if any, I find in the dies after running a fair quantity.

I highly recommend a dry neck lube of some sort if your using SS media or US method to clean brass, use it lube the inside of the neck, aids in bullet release.

I use Imperial dry lube. It is really good stuff.
There is no drag on the expander ball at all. IMHO, this stuff has improved my loads overall accuracy.

X2 with what Cobra427 said. It does aid in consistent bullet release

I have often wondered if it necessary to use some sort of lube with SS media to keep your ES low. This sounds like a solution to the problem. This has kept me from investing in SS media because I am worried about the brass being so clean it becomes clingy.

You won't have graphite imbedded in your brass;graphite WILL imbed in it,therefore is a NO-NO_ is my understanding that graphite can act as a mild abrasive,too,in this environement_graphite no,thanks_better save it for rusty keylocks
smile.gif

Great feedback!!!
Does anyone have any experience with using it on the neck/mandrel when using a neck turner?

Again--thanks for the input.

Jim

I have the KM setup where you run your necks thru an expander only die first before you neck turn. I tried it by dipping ever case in the dry graphite lube first then running it thru the expander die and it worked fine but it gives a little more resistance than it does when I use imperial lube so I personally like using the wipe on stuff better.

If I was a high volume shooter and I had hundreds of pieces to do I probably would just go with the dry lube but if your neck turning, its doubtful you're doing big quantities at a time.

Hello,

I use small ball bearings, smaller than a BB in a container with powdered graphite. This lubes the necks well and works just fine. There has never been any problem with the graphite embedding in the brass, barrel or anything else.

In the past the general consensus was that graphite acted as an abrasive when under high pressure and heat (we're not making diamonds). This may have been someone's theory or scientifically proven. Whatever, it seems now days quite a few experienced shooters use lock-ease which is colloidal graphite in their barrels.

Not so long ago it was accepted that Moly was a great lube for bullets. This seems to have fell out of favor due to various problems that arose from this practice. Not sure I'd want it on my case necks and it will embed into the brass.

It seems most people who bring this up don't think about or know that gun powder is coated in graphite and is going to end up in your barrels anyway.

In my experience, if you run a few patches of lock-ease through your barrel before shooting then your cold bore shot will be right there with your other shots.

Graphite is readily available and not too expensive. A small container with graphite coated balls makes a fine way to lube case necks.

Sim

I just got my Redding Imperial Neck Lube out of the mailbox. So far, I have sized about 30 cases and I am very pleased. Dip the neck, lube the case body and the cases size smoothly with VERY little drag over the expander ball.

I would suggest that simple talc could be worth a try. It's soft and non-abrasive, chemically inert, and possesses a lubricative quality. It's relatively cheap and simple to obtain.

I think it could be considered for applications where graphite or moly might also be be considered. It's anti-sticking property could be a useful agent in neck tension/pull force maintenance.

The main technical functions talc is used for are anti-sticking, anti-caking, lubricant, carrier, thickener, strengthening filler, smooth filler, and absorbent.

Greg

I too still use imperial dry lube.

Give a good brushing in and out side of case necks with a chamber brush, before applying the graphite media. It's especially helpful making the graphite stick to clean or new brass.

Last edited: