• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Redding neck die

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    I cannot get my Redding bushing neck die to fully size the neck. It is about .200 thousands from going all the way down. I have adjusted it as far as I can. Need to get a fl bushing die, but this is what I'm using now. Suggestions?

That is the problem with the bushings...too much chamfer. Get a Forster FL die and have them hone out the neck to the diameter you want. $16.50 for the service, including return postage, is a huge bargain. JMHO

A Redding FL bushing die won't size anymore neck than what you have.

Are you using the Redding competition neck die? I dont mean to be disrespectful but why do you want to size the entire neck? Using a neck sizing die you only need to size a small portion of the neck, at most 1/4 of the way from the opening. Of course it is re-loader preference but the intent of the neck sizing die is to size enough of the neck to maintain a constant and even pressure on the bullet, not over the entire length of the neck of the case.

I was wanting to size the entire neck to get better retention on the bullet without gripping it too tightly. It is fired in a light .270 and having problems with bullets moving. I have not had this problem with other calibers, but the necks are not as long. Thank you all for the input. I really want to get a body/neck type S die anyway, but it will not help the neck length issue. Not sure how I ended up with this die.

Most benchrest shooters would tell you not to neck-size down to the shoulder as you're going to get inconsistent 'grip', as you put it, around the junction. Tony Boyer (12-time World Champion, 11-time Shooter of the Year) writes about just this exact issue in his book "The Book of Rifle Accuracy" - you should definitely pick it up, it's not just for Benchrest shooters, I learned a lot from it. Provided that you've turned your brass to a consistent diameter, he only sizes his necks down approximately 2/3's of the way,... eliminating the inconsistencies of the neck/shoulder junction. I'd suggest that you take some measurements with your fire-formed brass and order up another (smaller) bushing to get the amount of tension you're looking for. .002-.003 tension should be PLENTY to hold it stable.

Last edited: