• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Neck sizing dies for 260 Remington

Gtummy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Reloaded both rifle and pistol many moons ago and trying to get started again. I am planning on neck sizing my own fired brass every other firing maybe 2 of 3. My problem is I don't know the language any more. What is the difference between " 260 Remington Type S Match bushing neck size set" and a "260 Remington Competitor Bush Neck Die Set". I don't want to assume the word Competitor means more accurate.

Unless you're running .001 - .0015 neck clearance (not recommended) you should need to neck size after every firing. If you have the reamers, save yourself some $ and build your dies, or buy a die blank and ream it yourself.

As for Reddings nomenclature, can't help ya

I'm guessing he's talking neck sizing every other or 2-3 times between FL sizing (ie FL sizing less often and Neck sizing the rest of the time.

The difference is basically the competition ones have a micrometer head that allows you to adjust the depth of the neck sizing also has an internal floating sleeve to help with alignment.

Here's a video that kind of explains the competition style. Very nice, but beware the competition seating dies should NOT be used for compressed loads.

Sinclair - Redding Competition Bushing Neck Die Set - YouTube

The type S bushing set is the one you want. For match shooting or hunting I recommend you full length size every time. Neck sizing has it's place, but that's usually with minimum custom chambers and neck turned brass.
Hope this helps some,
Wayne