• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding S- Die

Bigwheels

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 16, 2007
    Anacortes WA
    I ordered a Redding 300WM S die from Midway for my birthday, & when I tried to set it up, & size some brass the brass wouldn't go more than 2/3 of the way in. I made sure it was clean, lubed it up with imperial wax, & tried again, & same thing. It was way too tight. I pulled it out, & measured it @ the base & it was .004" smaller than my older Redding FLS die.(300WM measured .508" just above the belt , & my old one, not a S type, measured .512") I just sent it back, but don't know if I'll get another one just like it. What does you S Type die measure?
    Thanks.

Re: Redding S- Die

This may be an obligatory question, but did you have the decapper assembly high enough in the die?

The decapper, & bushing weren't in the die. I was just trying to adjust the body to bump the shoulder. The brass jammed up in the die about 3/4" from the belt, & left marks up to 1 1/2" from the belt.

What is your new brass just above the belt?
    0.507"?

What is your fired brass just above the belt?
    0.512?

New brass is .507", & once fired brass is .512". The inside of the die measured .508", & my fired brass wouldn't even think about going in there. And as I said before. My old Redding Comp FLS die measures .511", & I have sized thousands of brass with that one with no problems. It would defeat the purpose of using a body die for my comp rifle if it tries to resize the brass to new brass size. All I want to do is bump the shoulder back a couple thousandths, & use my neck bushing at the same time.

Is your die?

Redding Type S Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 300 Winchester Magnum

Or

Redding Competition Bushing Neck Sizer Die 300 Winchester Magnum

Or
    Redding Type S Bushing Neck Sizer Die 300 Winchester Magnum

It was the 700815 Type S FLS die. I also have a comp neck sizing die as well. But decided to consolidate, & ordered this one for more consistency. I have already sent it back for replacement.

BW,

I think you should count your blessings. You've got something good and don't know it. If you don't want it, I'll buy it from you.

Nominal SAMMI says 0.510" just above the base will work since it is minimum spec. Every new case I measured has been about 0.505", and the half dozen 300 WMs I've shot the fired case measured between 0.510" and 0.512". I've tried three Redding body dies, two Innovative sizing dies, and RCBS SB and regular sizing dies and could not find anything to get the cases below 0.510" just above the belt. The Redding tech said he measured the 30 or so body dies he had in stock, and the tightest sizing he could find was 0.510", and I was out of luck if I wanted one tighter.

Good luck,
    DocB

I could PM you my name, etc, & you can see if Midway will sell it to you. I just mailed it back to them on Mon.
    You must have a REAL tight chamber if you want that die. My chamber body is SAMMI spec, but the throat is tight. I have to neck turn my brass to .012"-.013" or it doesn't have room to expand at all. I suppose I could just shoot it that way, & not need to size my brass, but the accuracy sux.

I just got off the phone with Dave @ Redding, & he indicated that they may have had one of their small base sizing dies packaged wrong. That would account for the small dia of the die I got. He said to look for the letters SB on the die for their small base die, & FL for their regular FLS die. He said to look, & if I got another SB die in a FL case to tell him, & he'd pay all the shipping, etc for getting me the one I need. Good guy. So they have a die that is smaller for those who want one. Just call, & ask for a small base die.