• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding T-7 modifications

Boogie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2012
Louisiana
Sometime in the not to distant past I read a post about a mod to the turret of the press to get rid of some of the play. And of course even using search I can't find it. While I'm not detecting any slop on any part of my t7 I would like to find it again for future reference.
My collection of presses include a Dillon 550b, 650, RCBS primerchucker (if you've ever deprimed with one you'll get it), Lee challenger, and of course a T7. Which is my newest acquisition. I recently sold a Forster co-ax to "justify" buying the T7. Actually I just couldn't get into a rhythm with the Forster. It just felt awkward to me and I managed to spill the powder out of more cases in the 4 months I owned it than I have in the past 30 years of reloading.

So I decided to start a thread to collect any and all modifications reloaders have done to their T7 presses to make them more user friendly and hopefully more accurate. Let's have them.

You are referring to the turret bushing. The way the press works is that the turret indexes off the bushing when turned, not the top of the frame. This causes a very small amount of play when the ram is raised. What you can do is take the bushing out and stone the length down so that there is contact between the turret and the frame. Do not over do it. Grab a pair of calipers and stone the bushing down about .001, no more than .002. The turret will have more friction and will be a bit more difficult to turn, but all the play will be removed. Rub some grease on the top of the frame in between the turret, and this will alleviate some of the friction.

Mind you that the amount of "slop" inherent in the T7 is pretty minimal. This modification is for us fanatics that demand the tightest tolerances and minimal variables.

Very accurate ammo. IMO the bushing modification is not needed. On my press, there is NO perceivable movement when putting a load on the ram/turret. It is like an "O" frame press with a Lazy Susan on top! Lol

I put .005 shim stock between the frame and turret after I index the turret into position it takes out all the play that I have noticed.

Mine was a little stiff out of the box. Oil the ram and all linkages and by the time you get 100 cases resized it'll be running smooth as silk. Also, if you haven't done so watch "mijp5's videos for some time saving tips on making precision ammo with the T7. Good stuff.

TAG - I have been sucked in... I am such a noob - much to relearn but I think I have the proper tool (just showed up)

I hated the slight wobble in the turret when I got mine. I lapped the bushing on emery cloth over a chunk of granite until it has zero play. I lubed it up and assembled. Zero play now. Very nice press.