• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding T7

Cold_Bore_88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2013
The Woodlands, TX
I am looking at the Redding T7 turret press. I have read a few reviews saying that it loads very accurate rounds. However, I have always heard from reloaders that turret presses are not nearly as accurate as single stage presses.

I am mainly looking to hold just 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. Anything smaller would be a bonus. My buddy said I should still be able to group around 3/8" with this press.

Give me your advice. Will the ammo have to much variation if loaded with this turret press to be considered "match grade"?

I would not worry too much, the T7 will do just fine for what you are looking for and is a quality press.
There can be a bit of slop in it, but this can be fixed, do a search for it and you will find.
Still it tends to produce good ammo, although adding a O-ring under your dies will likely reduce your run out.

As for a turret press i really prefer the Harrels turret press, it's very well made and is more precise then the other turrets.
But it's also small and light so it limits what it can be used for.
I just use mine to decap, bullet tipping, and expanding. Although it does a excellent seating and neck sizing normal sized cases.
All sizing is done on my single stage, and seating i do with a force dial arbor.

If your looking for it to be your only press i would take a hard look at the Co-Ax witch is almost the same price.
Die changes are fast too, but one of the strong point of the turret is using it with Reddings instant indicators is very fast and convenient.

Last edited:
I have one, but load my match ammo on single presses. There is the slop factor in the T-7 and I have not looked to mitigating it. I have no empirical data to support the slop causing run-out, but its a variable I'd rather avoid altogether.

My T-7 has no slop whatsoever and I often change turrets on it as I keep different calibers always ready to go on different turrets. This quick change capability was a selling point for me as it saved me time when switching calibers. I mostly reload .308 and .224. Less often, but still frequently, .243, 30-06 and 44 mag.

I have never had trouble loading match grade rifle ammunition on it for above calibers but I have no experience loading any of the magnum rounds. All in all, I've been extremely pleased with my decision to purchase the T-7.

Reactions: McHaggis
I had to lap the bushing the turret rotates on to get the bit of slop out. It now has zero play. Very happy with my T-7!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408075420.551315.jpg

Powermac, would you help me and give me a better desription of what you found and how you go about putting the o ring under the bushing? Im very interested in learning more.
Thanks

I would not worry too much, the T7 will do just fine for what you are looking for and is a quality press.
There can be a bit of slop in it, but this can be fixed, do a search for it and you will find.
Still it tends to produce good ammo, although adding a O-ring under your dies will likely reduce your run out.

As for a turret press i really prefer the Harrels turret press, it's very well made and is more precise then the other turrets.
But it's also small and light so it limits what it can be used for.
I just use mine to decap, bullet tipping, and expanding. Although it does a excellent seating and neck sizing normal sized cases.
All sizing is done on my single stage, and seating i do with a force dial arbor.

If your looking for it to be your only press i would take a hard look at the Co-Ax witch is almost the same price.
Die changes are fast too, but one of the strong point of the turret is using it with Reddings instant indicators is very fast and convenient.

The bushing the pivot bolt goes through was a couple thousands proud. I lapped it with emery cloth on a piece of flat granite unit there was zero play.

Powermac, would you help me and give me a better desription of what you found and how you go about putting the o ring under the bushing? Im very interested in learning more.
Thanks

Well i only owned one T-7 for a few months, but it indeed had some slop in it, neither was the movement consistent.
Noticed the turret moved slightly towards the back support, during both sizing and seating
You might have understood what i mentioned the wrong way, or my english is not sufficient, as it's not perfect.
As for good points, it is a really strong and sturdy press, more so then any other turret presses, but it is not perfect as it comes from the factory.

The culprit of the problem, is the center bushing on where the turret turns, it is a few thousands taller then the thickness of the turret. What makes you able to turn the turret in the first place.
The only good solution to the problem is to grind it down precisely so it's only a thousand taller then the turret, that will eliminate any play that is visible at least, and reduce it to a minimum.
I would suggest do it on equipment that can hold the tolerances, as your trying to get consistency, hand grinding is'nt the answer.
But to state the slop is totally away is wrong it still has a thousand to flex on, it is just not visible as it's so minor.
The turret will often be harder to turn though, after all it is cast metal used, so you can only expect so much as to the tolerances.

What i meant with my comment about the O-ring, is that you should certainly with this press buy some O-rings (#17 O-ring 7/8" x 1/16") to use between the die lock ring and the press.
Using the O-ring under the die lock ring will help counteract the minimal amount of slop in the turret when it's modified.
As the die will float a bit under pressure from the ram, it will help the case and die to self align for better concentricity.

My current single stage press is the only one i have tried where it does not aid in measureable concentricity, but as it's cnc machined and the alignment for the whole stroke is held within 1/100th mm (0.0003 inches), and has no slop or wobble and don't cam over.It is a totally different animal, and cost more then i like to admit.

There are other modifications that are possible to do if you still would be struggling with concentricity.
It might be worth it to grind down a shell holder, and fit a o-ring under it too, to help the shellholder float and self align a tiny bit too.
I know some of the BR guys using the small cheap Partners and challengers, does that mod to either shellholders, or to the slot for the shellholder. Some also does grind down the rams themselves a tiny bit i am not sure i would try that.

Go to http://inlinefabrication.com/ they have 3 different mounts that will fit most of the popular presses.
They also make some other nice products that's worth a look.
The mounts are good i believe, they are at least solid and nicely finished.
I have not bought anything from Dan yet..
But he is a member on the hide too.

Last edited:
My T-7 has no slop whatsoever and I often change turrets on it as I keep different calibers always ready to go on different turrets. This quick change capability was a selling point for me as it saved me time when switching calibers. I mostly reload .308 and .224. Less often, but still frequently, .243, 30-06 and 44 mag.

I have never had trouble loading match grade rifle ammunition on it for above calibers but I have no experience loading any of the magnum rounds. All in all, I've been extremely pleased with my decision to purchase the T-7.

Also, what kind of dies do you use on this?

I am a proud t7 owner. It makes great loads. For those who claim that it cannot match the quality of a single stage, can you measure the difference between the 2? I cannot.

If you are going to hand weigh your powder charges, you probably won't see much of a speed increase using a turret vs a single stage for rifle.

If you are not going to hand weigh your powder charges, the small loss in concentricity likely with a quality turret probably isn't going to matter much.

My t7 has had no mods done to it and along with a good set of dies it makes extremely accurate ammo. Here's a couple of groups I shot at 300 yds using ammo made on my T7. It's obvious that my rifle likes the Sierras better than the Bergers but a .6 moa "bad" group is ok with me ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: needham
My t7 has had no mods done to it and along with a good set of dies it makes extremely accurate ammo. Here's a couple of groups I shot at 300 yds using ammo made on my T7. It's obvious that my rifle likes the Sierras better than the Bergers but a .6 moa "bad" group is ok with me ;)

Boogie - you are just "out of the node" on those VLD's. That is classic vertical stringing. Your rifle is hammer for sure, but I'm confident some charge tweaking will bring those vld's up to par with the SMKs.

I usually say "1/2 MOA is good enough for me" as well, but you really have an opportunity here. In this case, I would not be satisfied with that load.

Cold_Bore_88,

I use different make dies on my T-7 press. All have worked well enough!

The most often used are the .308 and .223 dies... these two are Redding die sets with Competition bullet seaters. I also use a Lee collet neck die on .308 ammo for the first neck sizing operation as I don't like to resize necks more than .007"-.008" during one operation. This inexpensive Lee collet die trues the necks due to its inherent design which simultaneously supports the inside and outside of the case neck during the re-sizing operation. I finalize neck tension in my .308 using a Redding bushing die.

The .223 ammo gets a full body sizing every time as it is used on semi-auto ARs.

Other calibers are loaded using older RCBS dies. Manufacture dates stamped on the RCBS dies show they were made back in 1981.

Ive been using a t7 for two years fully rigged out. I even bought a dillon style strong mount for mine a guy sells them on ebay.

I was using a rcbs charge master. But switched to a rcbs comp dispenser i throw in the middle of my sizing and seating dies and with the primer arm it works like a dream and is damn fast for as accurate as it is. I use it for my 243ai and 7 mag. And ive got some damn fine groups with the ai with 105vlds at 800 yards. Just got some dtacs im dying to try.

In rhythm i can do two rounds a minute. And i weigh every 5th round. I got a 650xl for my 5.56 and 40 cal. And im getting a harrels turret for my house next. but i love the t7 best. It dont go down and when the dillon does its a bitch. I got a system down i just love with the t7. Its a workout

I have a T7 and I use it a lot. I think a good hand loader can produce outstanding ammo with that press. It does flex, but probably not enough to affect the large majority of users.

If I were going to buy a press, I would prefer the Forster Co-Ax. The Co-Ax, with a few dozen of their aluminum lock rings, costs less than the T7 and one extra turret. If you're loading for several different calibers, or you use several different sizers, maybe a separate crimp die or expander, the Redding turrets can get pricey because you may not be able to get more than one caliber on each turret.

The dies change so quickly and easily on the Co-Ax that it is pretty much as fast as the T7, depending on what you are doing, and a lot faster if you have to change turrets on the T7. The Co-Ax has a more precise priming system, although most folks won't use it. I don't.

Most importantly, the floating die station in the Co-Ax seems to keep the runout down a little better than the T7.

You have to load cases and bullets into the Co-Ax from the front, which is not as comfortable for me as the T7, but overall if precision is your highest priority, I think the Forster is a little ahead, without sacrificing the convenience of the turret.

I am reviving this thread to add an experience I just had with my T7. It may be useful to others who search this topic too. Full disclaimer: I technically damaged the T7 and I must operate it differently than designed, however I believe it produces a better result.

I carefully sanded/polished the bushing down with a combo of 220 and 2000 grit sandpaper (I didn't have anything in between) with a very flat surface. I put it back together 5-6 times to check throughout the sanding and polishing to not remove too much. Eventually, after tightening it all up and checking the turret rotation, rotation was locked down meaning the bushing was shortened just a little too much and the tightening load was routed on the turret. $hit. So I take it apart again and problem solve . . . I can polish down the platform that the turret sits on to bring pressure back to the bushing. I use 220 grit as the surface is definitely very coarse to begin with. I only sand a little, just enough to see a difference in the texture. Put it all together again and tighten down. I try to rotate and this time there is some rotation there. It is difficult but it is actually smooth.

It is at this point that I realize this might actually be the perfect solution. See, I prefer to run all of my rounds through each step before the next so I usually only need to rotate the turret twice in any session. I just need to loosen the center bolt of the T7 to rotate, then retighten. What I am left with is a completely locked down die press with zero play like a single stage press.

If anyone chooses to do similarly, make sure to remove all dust from the sanding/polishing before reassembling.

*** Cautionary Edit ***
Since researching more on the subject, it's come to my attention that the play in the turret plate may be of no concern and by design. The idea is that the system is in correct alignment (the die with the brass) at the extent of the play. So by removing the small amount of bushing, the die can not rise and tilt that little amount to come into alignment with the brass. I will keep researching to find better information. In the meantime, fortunately, I have another bushing from my second turret plate that I have replaced my modified one with. In hindsight, the play shouldn't make any difference anyway since it is taken up by any usual amount of force by the ram.

Last edited:
I finally got around to buying a T-7 this year, after 20+ years of multiple single-stage presses and my first thought is "I should have got one of these a long time ago!"

Reactions: akmtnrunner
There was an article in Handloader magazine a while back where they were talking about a T-7 that was used by Sierra (the bullet folks) over the years for loading bullets and had north of 1 million rounds loaded through it with a crazy small amount of wear on the ram. I'll try and find the article and report back exactly what their measurements were. Reading it made me want to get one!

Last edited:
I contacted Redding and received a quick reply, below:

The T7 is designed to have the rear support sit .001” higher thatn where the center of the turret rests, the bushing is also .001” higher than the turret place. As we apply pressure, whether seating or sizing the front part of the turret picks up by that amount. This causes the back to rest against the support, the center against the turret stud bolt and the die by the shellholder and ram. This 3 point contacts ensures the turret plate does is fully supported and aligned. I have measured with indicator stands that even the spring pressure from our Competition dies have enough to bias the part against these supports.

Don Parker
[email protected]

Redding Reloading
1089 Starr Road
Cortland, NY 13045

(607) 753-3331

1600726079823.png

So it sounds like the bushing needs that height that it has from the factory to match the rear support. By removing some, we bring the front of the turret down too far when we retighten the center bolt and it can not be pressed back up high enough to reach proper alignment.

I am glad I have a spare bushing! Still, I guess the difference that 0.001” would make would be so negligible it is not worth concerning over.

The article I referenced was in the December-January 2019 issue of Handloader. Long story short, they mention that the T-7 press Sierra purchased in 2002. Sierra's chief ballistician guessed they had run between 1 million and 2 million reloads through it. In 2017 Redding reacquired it and fitted it out with some dial indicators on the ram and it had virtually no runout. Redding is going to put it in the company museum.