• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding type S bushing die not sizing neck

Rotortuner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2008
WA, USA
OK so i have used redding dies a lot and love them but I just starting using a 308 type S FL die and am having some issues. I am using a forster Coax press and im using the ti nitrided bushing. I can only get a little over half of the neck sized down. I cant figure out how to fix this and need help. grinding any of the bottom of the die off would just mean i am bumping the shoulder back more and I have the bushing stopper on top all the way down and just barely backed off to allow the bushing to move freely a little. any thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem. I use a wilson bushing die and it only sizes the top half of the neck. I've never had an issue with it. matter of fact, I bump the shoulder with a redding FL bushing die that has all of the guts pulled out of it and then size the neck with the wilson. Wilson uses redding bushings.

I shouldnt be worried about getting increased runout with only having half the neck holding the projectile? I run 175 SMK's reall pretty long, i just worry about conenctricity being introduced when they come out of the mag and hit the chamber.

i also have a redding comp neck die, but thats another pull of the handle, i wanted to size everything at once to increase my speed.

CJG

Are you using the decapping rod? And if not did you put the nut back in after unscrewing the rod? That's also needed to keep the bushing from sliding up in the die.

L

Reactions: Cicero
Redding type S bushing die not sizing neck

No decamping rod, no nut, no bushing. I just use it as a body die. The Wilson die sizes the neck and decaps.

I also load very long. I think my oal is 2.950". When loaded that long there is not anymore bullet touching the brass than what is already sized anyway. If you are real worried about concentricity, then try a Wilson seating die. You will throw away your concentricity gauge. I have a Forster coax, but I still use the Wilson dies and an arbor press for seating precision rounds.

--Daniel

Last edited:
No decapping rod, but i have the top screw, screwed all the way down, from what i can tell it doesnt need that nut to to touch the bushing since the top one screw all the way down ?

Are you using the decapping rod? And if not did you put the nut back in after unscrewing the rod? That's also needed to keep the bushing from sliding up in the die.

L

THIS........

The black nut that holds the decapping rod in the die is what the bushing butts up against. These dies may not size the entire neck of long-necked cartridges (if the neck is longer than the height of the bushing) but they work perfectly when set up correctly.

L
A person 8 in years in the future thanks you for posting this.