• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redding Type S causing runnout

Inline6power

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2020
i have been using a redding type s full length die for my 6.5 prc and its causing runout. trying to figure out if its the die which i suspect. not running the expander so i have already ruled that out. all cases are annealed with my amp after every firing and every neck is +- 0.0005 after firing. after sizing most are +- 2 tho but some are as high as 4 tho. i tried a non bushing redding die and all of them end up being +- 0.00075 tho. got a wilson bushing die and it seems pretty consistent at 1.5 tho variance. is the float, slop in the redding bushing die whats causing the issue? the wilson die and little to zero slop in the bushing in the die and it seems to work much better. has anyone had the redding type s dies induce neck runnout?

You are supposed to have the "slop" in there for the bushing to self center. I have used them for years and no run out issues.

You are supposed to have the "slop" in there for the bushing to self center. I have used them for years and no run out issues.
i fully understand why the slop is there but could it also be causing my problem? pulling my hair out. all cases have been neck turned and are all almost perfect in even thickness and like i said they are all perfect with almost zero runnout after firing but i end up having runout after full length sizing. using a forster coax which is only about 2 months old. just cant seem to figure out exactly whats causing it. it bugs me cause when i use my chamber type seater die, on the cases that have neck runnout, intern causes bullet runout. no way i will ever get it perfect with zero runnout but would like to try to atleast cut it in half. just not sure what to look for next. have a summit press as well i was thinking of trying to see if my coax could be part of the problem but i cant forsee that being the issue.

Yep. It’s the bushing.

I would get another bushing, but I also wouldn’t lose sleep over .004-.005 runout until then. You won’t notice it on paper. When I neck down 6.5 to 6x47, I get up to .007+ until firedormed. Shoots the same.

What is the neck diameter of the fired case and what is the bushing size you're using?

What is the neck diameter of the fired case and what is the bushing size you're using?
Fired neck is .294 sizing then to .289 due to neck turning and thickness. Loaded round measures .292 od. Fired is .294 and sized is .289

I think he was trying to see if you were sizing over .005” as Redding suggests a step down process of doing more than about that.

That said is the .003 neck tension what you want? Have you tried .002”?

Reactions: ShtrRdy
^ Also very true as sometimes people can't see the big picture and focus too much on the details.

Changed bushings and problem is gone. Most runout I get now is 1/2 tho plus minus.

Thanks for the follow up. Have you contacted Redding about it? I’m betting they’ll send a new one
I did and also emailed them a video of me sizing a case with it and showed it’s causing 7tho runout. then swapping another bushing in and having almost zero run out and made sure both cases started with zero runout they are sending a free replacement

Reactions: odoylerules