• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Redding Type S match die set opinions

nhassey48

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2010
Arizona
I just recently bought a set and was looking to hear from people what they think about them while I wait for delivery. Thanks

Re: Redding Type S match die set opinions

I have 4 sets of the Redding Type S dies. Money well spent, you won't be dissapointed.

I have two sets(only load two rifle calibers) and like them allot.

I use the carbide expander's and Nitride coated neck bushings for better ease during sizing plus the carbide expander lessens the stretch in the neck that can cause inconsistent "head space".

My main reason for going to them was the bushings and the fact that they come in FL, I like that the necks don't get way overworked like a regular FL die and work hardening is slowed considerably.

The do size the base of the brass on the larger end of the spectrum but should not be a problem unless you have a tight chamber that normally needs SB dies.

I recently bought a redding 243AI bushing sizer and it leaves .090" of the neck unsized with the bushing seated all the way down. Sent it back and they said it was "within specs". No way to completely size the neck with this die.

I read of people interchanging dies, such as 22BR/6mmBR by just changing the bushing. This would not be possible the way my Redding bushing die works....

mojojojo thats the way they work, that last little bit of unsized is normal with the 3 calibers I load, I like Reddings carbide floating expander, my necks get beat up from an overly aggressive ejector spring the floating ball wrings out the dents while barely touching the rest of the neck at all.

i get alot less runout with them
and neck tension is easy to change

I think mine was called the delux set or something. Basically it only has the micrometer on the seating die. Then it comes with a bushing die and a full length sizing die.

What is the difference between the Type S and the Competition set besides the dial?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the difference between the Type S and the Competition set besides the dial? </div></div>

Nothing. Competition Sizers and Seaters are 'S Bushing' dies' in the case of the former, with a 40 tpi bolt at the top, for slicker adjustments.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the Micro Sizer/Competition Sizer bushing die. That's not critical.

I run neck/FL bushing dies in 223, 22-250, 308, 7RM and 338LM and I just crank the knob down until the bushing is tight and then I back out a tenth of a turn to relieve pressure on the bushing so it has some leeway to 'self-center' itself on the neck.

Getting the bushing 23/64ths down the neck isn't something I lose sleep over.

Chris