• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Redfield palma repair help

HomeSlice

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2009
IN, USA
Several months ago I ordered a couple of redfield palma rear sights from the CMP. Never really checked them out, just chucked the box onto the shelf.

Fast forward to the past weekend, took the kids out to shoot the 22 target rifles. What I pretty quickly figured out was that both had very loose windage knobs, to the point of being useless.

I did have a couple of backups, so they were able to shoot.

I've got an email off to the CMP, but this is all on me for not checking them out when I got them and addressing immediately. Not ragging those guys at all.

Here's the questions(s) if anyone can help:

There's a few very tiny allen head screws on the windage knob -- looks like 3 of them. It looks like I can work these to tighten it up a bit. If so, ideas on which ones? These are little-bittly damn things -- any idea what size allen wrench I need? Its for sure smaller than anything I have.

Does anyone have a link to a repair manual, parts-exploded diagram, etc. that may help?

Spent a bit searching and came up dry. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
-Slice

Re: Redfield palma repair help

Sir you should be able to do the repair yourself. As you noted the Knobs are retained by several allen head screws. These can be backed out just a little bit and the Windage knobs compressed on the shaft to correct the excesive play. If you have a vise at home pad the jaws with tape and just compress the knob enough to remove the play. Tighten the set screws and you should be good to go.

I've done several and as a note of caution there are two little ball bearings and tiny springs under the knob so you just need to loosen it enough to beable to press it pnto the shaft to remove the slop. If you let the knob come off you might loose the little parts so if you are not sure you can do it and not let it come apart then get a large zip lock bag and seal it up with the allen wrench of the correct size and the sight inside the bag. If it does come apart you'll have all the pieces inside the bag.

Donald

Don,

Thanks a ton for the quick reply. Any idea what size that little allen head is?

Thanks,
-Slice

If you get stuck, try giving Phil Scholl a call, (303) 934-8525. He retired from Redfield when they closed up in CO and does repairs on their sights. It's been a while since I've had him do any work so hopefully the number is still good.

Hah - I had the same issue with a brand new in the wrapper Redfield Palma sight from the CMP.

I tried every allen wrench available at the Ace Hardware. No luck.

I just so happen to know a guy that retired from there (Redfield). I called him and he sent me all the wrenches to work on all the sight knobs.

Good luck finding the right one. I can take some measurements off mine with a micrometer and post them if you like.

Glad to help. If you want you can PM me and I'll do it for free for you. You'll need to pay postage both ways. It only takes about one or two minutes per sight.

The allen wrench isn't going to be at a Ace Hardware or Sears Store. It's very small and if you have access to a Mac or Snap-On guy they could order a set for you. Or you'll hav to order them from Enco or MSC or some place like that. It's the type of set a small instrument repair shop would have and not the type of stuff most people need. I happen to have them because I needed them to adjust items in Aircraft Maintenance.

Donald