• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reduced 30-06 loads

JCCinOhio

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
Looking to get about 2200-2300 fps MV with a 150gr soft nose so I can use a 30-30 bullet and get the right expansion for deer. Reason being my father in law is bound and determined to use his 30-06 his dad gave him until he can't hunt any more... He's 83 and flinches like a SOB when he shoots it. So need a good reduced load. His max range is less than 100yds where we hunt. I'm searching the net, but wanted to see what you all have to say.

I've seen the H4895 60% bit, and looks that that MIGHT give me about 2300 at the lowest charge. Also seen where people use IMR 4198, RL-7, and AA 5744 but they usually lack chrono data. What say you, anyone have any data?

Last edited:
You might look for a different bullet. I am pushing 180 gr bullets out of my 308 at 1700 fps with the H4895 data. You should easily be able to slow down the 06

150gr at 2300 or below should be very doable using reduced 4895 load.

Yeah, thinking of ordering him a recoil pad for Christmas, but have to be at his house to measure it (TX vs OH)

Doubt he'd go for having his barrel threaded for a brake.

Yeah, thinking of ordering him a recoil pad for Christmas, but have to be at his house to measure it (TX vs OH)

There are a few very good clamp on muzzle brakes around, but you have to get good muzzle measurements first. Witt machining is one and Badger is another that works well for .30-06.
The reduced load is still a good way to go though.

Last edited:

Witt Machine makes a clamp on muzzle break. You measure the barrel at the end and 1.5” back and they custom machine it to fit. I have one one my 243 and bought one for my brother to use one his 300 H&H. They are really effective.

Mike

Reactions: lash
13 grains of Red Dot or Unique turns a cartridge like the 30-06 into a pistol caliber carbine.

Very pleasant to shoot and accurate to at least 100 yards. Velocity should be somewhere around 1800 fps. Fillers aren't needed.

Reactions: lash

Limbsaver makes a slip on. It’s what I put on my dad’s 270.
If you know the model rifle you might find a presanded pad as well, that’s what I have on my 3006. Probably won’t be a perfect fit and may have a small lip on one side that could be sanded down but it will still screw on and be much better than the metal plate or thin plastic it probably has now.

Reactions: lash and JCCinOhio
Limbsaver makes a slip on. It’s what I put on my dad’s 270.
If you know the model rifle you might find a presanded pad as well, that’s what I have on my 3006. Probably won’t be a perfect fit and may have a small lip on one side that could be sanded down but it will still screw on and be much better than the metal plate or thin plastic it probably has now.
I’ve used both for different reasons. If you decide on the slip on type, don’t leave it on there all the time. Almost ruins a shotgun stock if left on until it starts to deteriorate. I had to completely refinish one I picked up cheap. Put on one of the presanded ones after I marked it and finished the contour to fit on my belt sander.

Reactions: spife7980