• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reduced Load 6Creed

BANG...ping

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2017
Hi all,
I am kind of new to reloading so help me out here. I am shooting PRS matches. I have a 6 CM and shoot 107 SMK. My current load is 41.7 grains of H 4350. My velocity is ~3150. It shoots well.
I am thinking about reducing my load to about 2850 so I can reduce recoil a bit and spot trace and impacts better. I have tested 35.5 grains which gave me 2820 FPS. So I am thinking 36.5 -37.5 grains should get me where I am going.
Will the reduced powder volume (leaving additional air space in the case) give me weird SD’s and ES’s? What have you guys seen?
Thanks.

Bang

Use a 115 and a good brake is what I would do if I were trying this, but I’m willing to bet you’re not going to be able to pick your velocity on this load and stay super accurate. It’ll be node dependent. I’m assuming this is for a child or an inexperienced shooter? If so fundamentals are key and an appropriate sized rifle. My wife started shooting a long gun at the beginning of summer and I had a 6cm barrel put on an old rem 700 action and a a3-5 rifle that the gunsmith fit for her (she has trouble listening to me, wives right? Lol) and after learning fundamentals and how to get behind the rifle correctly she is now shooting magnums and shooting them well. But also if I remember a 115 d tac with 40.7h4350 went about that in her 22” gun.

Sorry I guess I should read better, why have a caliber and not use it to potential, you are going to want that extra 300fps for distance. And yes In my experience, less fill makes weird loads that get finicky, but full loads can too. if you want 2850 I would go with a straight br next barrel, I can’t spot impacts inside of 500 yards. But when I can over 500 yards it’s because I have a solid shooting position. Loaded bipod, nice push against a barricade etc.

A higher case fill is typically what one wants. I would recommend a slower powder to keep the case fill up. Something like 4831, rl23 or 4955. I use this method running 115 with 23 going 2950. It's a nice low pressure load in comparison with most. Ran it with 105 ref from a 22" tube at 2900 a while back too.

If you're going to go down to 2850 with a 105/107 I'd say just jump ship and go to a 6BR or variant. It will shoot more accurately and have even less recoil due to less powder consumption, as well as better barrel life.

If you want to stick with your current chambering but are willing to try different projectiles/powders, I might experiment with something like a 110-115gr bullet in the 2850fps range, maybe a 112 Barnes with H4831. Recoil would be a step down from your current load, it would be easier to spot since going much slower, but you'd also get an improvement in wind drift performance despite the dramatically slower speed.

If you don't want new components, I'd check out the 2850 and 2950fps ranges for possible reduced recoil nodes with the 107, no harm in trying.

it'll work but wont match the performace of a 6BR with 5-7 less grains of powder