• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Reducing barricade target to 6”

Jeff Gahler

Aim small, lead far. Also.Definitely not a federal
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2023
Arlington, VA
I’ve heard rumors of this for a while now. I think it’s a great idea.

Any thoughts ?

Why would it not be a good thing making anything you do more of a challenge only challenges you to work that much harder . I love the whole premises of anything worth knowing pushes you meow ( work for it ) maybe after you make them less than 6'' you could go 3'' or a 2'' Popsicle stick target .

Reactions: Jeff Gahler
I don’t think it would hurt anyone at the top. The guys that can go really fast on a 10” will still go really fast on a 6”

They had two timed stages at the Punisher (the barricade and a troop line) which they used combined times for to settle the tie breaker. I thought that was a great idea myself.

I'm assuming you're talking about the standard PRS tiebreaker stage?

I think a 6" plate could be more likely to have target failures at 400 yards. It would also get a bit sporty if the barricade was wobbly and/or blowing in the wind. Out west it seems the typical PRS barricade is made of 2x4's held together with nails and duct tape vs a fabricated steel barricade set into a foot of concrete.

I do like the idea of an 8" plate.

If you want to incorporate a 6" plate, one option would be to do it as a 10" + 6" combo fairly close to each other. Hit the 10" and you get to shoot the 6", otherwise reengage the 10". Repeat 4 positions. Would slow down the balls to the wall reckless pace and increase precision and the need to watch your shots on plate.

I’m ashamed to say after shooting matches here and there and and winning a few barricades , I thought the target already was 8”

So yeah going from 10 to 8 would be fine with me. 10 to 6 would be extra spicy

Meh, 10 is fine. Covers shit conditions. Not meant to be a difficult stage. Sheldons sugestion is best. Make it a big/ little. Those stages are better anyway.

After shooting some matches for about a year now, I think making it 8 instead of 10 would be good. The pros will still go for 8/8 and well under the 40 second mark. Most times, I can go 8/8, but my time is near the 60 sec range. I have recently gotten to the ~45 second mark, but have more 7/8 runs at that time. More practice is needed! If it gets much smaller than 8, the newer shooters like myself may get discouraged, but it would also force us to more work to get better! Isn't that the point?