• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reenlisting Problems

hunter81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2009
HOME
I reenlisted for six more years and I was suppose to get $15,000. They gave me $5,000 and told me tuff shit what can I do to get the other $10,000 I signed for?

Re: Reenlisting Problems

was it a lump sum or to be done over the rest of your enlistment? Was it an overseas re-enlistment?

What branch are you in?

Show your contract and LES to finance. Use your chain of command, and keep pushing it.

I'm taking over my base IG job in a few weeks, so here's what I'd recommend. First stop should be your shirt/first sgt. If that doesn't work out, get all your paperwork together and talk to the base IG. Just make sure to take them copies, as they can't give you anything back. Still no joy, write your congressman. Probably best to go in that order, not shotgun all of em so it can be handled at lowest possible level.

on $15 you cut about 30% straight out for 'taxes', leaves you roughly $10, now cut that in half (or $5) and you get that up front, the rest will be paid in equally divided increments on your reenlistment date over the course of your enlistment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nine_Iron88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on $15 you cut about 30% straight out for 'taxes', leaves you roughly $10, now cut that in half (or $5) and you get that up front, the rest will be paid in equally divided increments on your reenlistment date over the course of your enlistment. </div></div>

The OPs post makes it sound like he already questioned people about it and was told "tough-shit" as in they have no intention of paying him the balance. I think somebody would have explained it to him if it were the situation of gradual payouts, I think he's here bitch'n cus somebody told him he wasn't going to get it.

Way it read to me was he got his 5 on the 15 and wanted the other 10, was just trying to explain that the 5 of that is gone to taxes and the other 5 will be paid out incrementally over the years of his enlistment.

No one should have told him 'tough shit' and not taken any time to explain things to him.

Also, if he was suppose to receive $15 up front, after the tax/increment cut (putting his bonus at roughly $45), and only got $5 of it, I'd be pissed too. Or if as you say, someone told him he's not getting anymore of it at all - take that paperwork right up the chain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I reenlisted for six more years and I was suppose to get $15,000. They gave me $5,000 and told me tuff shit what can I do to get the other $10,000 I signed for? </div></div>

Who exactly told you "tough shit"? The key is your enlistment contract. What does it say in ink on that contract? Did they tell you you're getting $15k and only wrote $5k? I hope that you have $15k written in your contract because if you do, then you should be good. IG is going to be your best hope if your CoC is ignoring you.

Not to scare you, but I've got buddies who have been screwed over lately because they got verbal promises instead of contracts. One guy in my unit re-upped to go to Germany as a staff planner. He showed up and got orders back to Iraq. Another guy on my team re-upped for Monterey DLI in Chinese, and it looks like he's screwed on that one. You usually can't get that kind of stuff in ink, but bonus amounts should be on your re-enlistment contract. If they are, you're good. If not, you're screwed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nine_Iron88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Way it read to me was he got his 5 on the 15 and wanted the other 10, was just trying to explain that the 5 of that is gone to taxes and the other 5 will be paid out incrementally over the years of his enlistment. </div></div>

I guess we're stuck speculating until the OP comes back with details.

They told me $15,000 lying bastards and the other thing is apparently I was on lone to the unit I was with for a year. I thought I could stay at home with my wife. Now we are back they told me that I’m being redeployed with my original unit witch ships out to Afghanistan next month.

As stated the key is what is printed on your contract and theat contract has your sig on it. If it isn't in ink, you don't get it. Now if it is, go though CoC. If nothing from CoC, then IG. And of course at any point during the process, you can utter those magic words that make whole universes stop in place, "request mast". Also, was this in a "tax-free" zone or back in the states?

Oh an 6 yrs and only 15k? Geez, guys in my unit were getting 5k for extending for a year! And that was in a grunt unit!

Annex 'B' should have the details of your payout.
If you signed in CONUS you do not qualify for the tax free deployed status. You will see 28% held back as stated, be given half up front, and the total each year for the duration of your contract. If someone told you tough shit, then you need to make sure you have all the required contract pages(you should, you just signed it and have your copy). Forget IG, they will side with command. Legal Assistance will help you if you have a weak 1SG or CO. Re-Up should be helping you but their job is done since you signed.
As a grunt you will need the help of a POG who knows their shit and is willing to lend you the assistance you need. Go find that POG that you find so insufferable and ask nicely for their assistance. It will suck but since it is your money you should have no problem cosying up to that POG until he/she has served their use
grin.gif

Reward the pog things like cookies, pop tarts, chocolate, and constant verbal approval for it's good deeds. Remember your pog is fragile, so be careful with your words, fuck doesn't explain everything you are trying to say when communicating with your pog.

I got 15k bonus back in the day. Was paid out like prev poster described. almost 5k to tax, 5k cash, and the rest over my enlistment. So if you got a lump sum of 5k, then your prolly on the same track. 15k for 6 years is a bust. Hell they were giving guys in my unit 20k to go from 19K to 19D and give 2 more years active.

I hate POG's I don’t want to come off like I am a whiner but I have fought enough and don’t need this shit at home. Well Thank You guys for the info it is always good getting on this site and having people to talk to.