• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Refinishing a barreled action?

CaliShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
SanDiego
I want to find out what everybody recommends when duracoating a barreled action. Do you paint it assembled or do you paint it separated barrel, action, recoil lug. Should I mask the crown? Should I mask the interior of the action? Should I paint the bolt? What about the recoil lug? Or will doing so ruin the tolerances of my rifle? I want to duracoat it but do not want to affect the performance.

Re: Refinishing a barreled action?

Hey Cali,
I have done a few bolt guns with KG and I have the barreled action complete ready to go (No scope mount)then I coat it. As long as you do it right (Dont cake the coating on) it should not affect those tolerances. I do plug the muzzle and chamber and I use old screws to fill the guard screw holes and scope mount holes so the coating does not get into the threads.
I do NOT coat the bearing surfaces such as the bolt lugs. I do coat the remainder of the bolt/knob, guard, and any other parts such as screw heads to match.
Remember that prep work is everything when coating!!! and then clean it super clean then clean it again just to make sure just before you coat it.
Hope this helps,
Robb