• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Refinishing a birch stock

JMGlasgow

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Apr 13, 2012
    Cheyenne, WY
    I'm not sure if this goes here but I have an M14 birch "big red" stock that needs stained and finished.

Now, before anyone says go to M14 Forum for that info don't bother. I'm not dealing with the old grouchy ladies over there anymore.

I'm just looking for a standard military finish, nothing fancy. This is going on my Fulton Armory receiver M14 Scout rifle.

I want the finish like the picture.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• gun-9122.jpg
      gun-9122.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 58
    One of the best methods to color birch is with what is called a "spirit dye" or dye that is dissolved in denatured alcohol. Rockler has some excellent aniline dyes that are able to penetrate the hard birch and give a more even finish. Here's a quick example between stain vs dye:

Another low-buck option is shoe dye, either Fiebings or Angelus, diluted with denatured alcohol. These dyes are also made with aniline colors.