• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Refinishing or repairing surface scratches on AICS chassis

paindoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Peoples Republic of Michigan
At my last match (Brawl) I lugged my beautiful rifle over my shoulder but was not aware that the chassis was rubbing against other gear. See the pic for the result.
What is the best way to make that look better ?
2u9u5yza.jpg

Refinishing or repairing surface scratches on AICS chassis

Why would you want it to look better? Many people never achieve that on their rifles.

Last edited:
Don't change it. Wear marks give it character. Now your chassis has a story.

Blast it with some sort of soft media, maybe fine corn cobb or something like that.

I'm in the wear marks look good and give character camp. however, i can't tell how deep the marks are- if they are only comestic and you want that fixed, custom gun coatings does some cool looking rifles.

Not sure how I would blast it with that media. Maybe some sort of ultra fine grit paper?

If you have a blaster go to a welding supply shop and buy some ultra fine media. I have some but I took it out of the bag so I can't tell you what size it is. I use it for cleaning cases. I got a 40 lb bag for about $8.00. Load it up and blast on a low PSI until you get the desired look. You will have to do all of the skins to get it to match.

krylon, cerakote or realize if you use anything it will look worn... seriously stressing about some wear marks on a AI chassis? fix it and put it in a glass temperature and humidity controlled bulletproof case that way you can ensure it stays perfect.

Well, it appears to be left handed, so it was f'd up to start with and can't be made to look right anyway. I'd also guess the bore has some wear marks as well as the bolt body, so I'd say you are SOL and need to ditch it and buy a new one.

Stop bein a queerbate and saddle up a fresh tampon and stop worryin about a rifle that looks used
(Lmao!)
Yes but what will all the other girls think? Especially you VJJ? You can't expect me to ignore that considering the trouncing that you took at last seasons cotillion when you wore both chiffon and lace! It was spring for gods sake!

(Lmao!)
Yes but what will all the other girls think? Especially you VJJ? You can't expect me to ignore that considering the trouncing that you took at last seasons cotillion when you wore both chiffon and lace! It was spring for gods sake!

Chiffon AND Lace!!! This is getting good!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 17
Know how I know you're a dick smoking cock gobbler gay? you know what "chiffon and lace" is and used it in a sentence.

Bag of meth, soldering iron and a few hours. Stipple the bish.

.....Or buy a new set of skins for it to keep pretty (well as pretty as an ugly block of a stock can be) and put on your "match skins" when you want to actually use it.

Head to the skate shop and get some grip tape

Alternatively, cover it in industrial bubble wrap.

Last edited:
Bag of meth, soldering iron and a few hours. Stipple the bish.

.....Or buy a new set of skins for it to keep pretty (well as pretty as an ugly block of a stock can be) and put on your "match skins" when you want to actually use it.

I think this is what I am going to do. Basically don the beat up skins for a match and
put on new skins if I ever want to show it off. I just didn't realize it would mar that easily from just carrying it all day. It's a work gun so indeed the marks were "earned" but when you plunk down the big bucks it's hard to see those scratches. It's like that first car door ding on your new car.

You know what I did with my new Ahsbury 338 and USO ?
Went deer hunting . Got out in the crisp Az desert air ....................................
Through it in the first cat claw I could find . Had to prove to my hunting buddies that guns get scratched up .
The first scratch is always the hardest , then its all character from then on out .

Greg

"Canadian grass... Assholes!"-Rabbit, Super Troopers

Last edited:
krylon, cerakote or realize if you use anything it will look worn... seriously stressing about some wear marks on a AI chassis? fix it and put it in a glass temperature and humidity controlled bulletproof case that way you can ensure it stays perfect.

I concur, whatever you do, don't take it out into the field again - no telling what might happen.

Last month in Namibia, the trackers were very concerned about my new rifle, insisted on putting it in the soft case everytime I got on the truck. Finally threw the soft case in the floor of the truck, told them no one was to touch or clean that rifle but me. Message rec'd. I didn't buy it to polish it, and it cost more than a AW with a Schmidt......

Don't even ask about any of my comp guns - they aren't pristine anymore!

At my last match (Brawl) I lugged my beautiful rifle over my shoulder but was not aware that the chassis was rubbing against other gear. See the pic for the result.
What is the best way to make that look better ?
2u9u5yza.jpg

Hi, If you want to get rid of the mars, use 0000 steel wool and start with light pressure in a circle pattern applying little more pressure until they are gone. Wipe done with silicon rag when done. Works great on light marks in plastic like that, also works well on car dashes too.

Hi, If you want to get rid of the mars, use 0000 steel wool and start with light pressure in a circle pattern applying little more pressure until they are gone. Wipe done with silicon rag when done. Works great on light marks in plastic like that, also works well on car dashes too.

Thanks