• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Refrigerator recomendations.

Sirshredalot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2019
Hello hide.

My fridge is slowly dying and i need a new one.
I dont care what it looks like but i need it to last.

Also... im a poor... so there is that.

Are any brands better than others?
Not made in china?

What says the hide?
please and thank you
Shred

I just got a Samsung French door with dual freezers on the bottom from Home Depot a couple months ago. I like it. Wasn’t cheap, but HD runs sales all the time.

During my research, it seemed the general consensus was that new consumer level appliances just don’t last. I’m not about to fork over the cash for a commercial style fridge, so I went with the Samsung because it looked nice and had the features I wanted. I paid extra for an extended warranty on it.

The Maytag fridge that I replaced was 20 years old. I figure I got my money’s worth out of that one.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Hello hide.

My fridge is slowly dying and i need a new one.
I dont care what it looks like but i need it to last.

Also... im a poor... so there is that.

Are any brands better than others?
Not made in china?

What says the hide?
please and thank you
Shred
Bosch

Reactions: HeavyAssault
I bought a whirlpool 7 years ago , midrange price 800 and change iirc ice and water dispenser, been good so far.

Reactions: BLEE
I just got a Samsung French door with dual freezers on the bottom from Home Depot a couple months ago. I like it. Wasn’t cheap, but HD runs sales all the time.

During my research, it seemed the general consensus was that new consumer level appliances just don’t last. I’m not about to fork over the cash for a commercial style fridge, so I went with the Samsung because it looked nice and had the features I wanted. I paid extra for an extended warranty on it.

The Maytag fridge that I replaced was 20 years old. I figure I got my money’s worth out of that one.
I had the same Samsung, it lasted about a year and a half. Nothing but problems. To their credit, I had to send a pic of the power cord cut off and they gave me a full refund. Next, had all the same problems with an LG.

No more Korean appliances for us.

What's the budget? MIL or MOA?
Well...
I know that up to a point... the less you spend, the more you get.
Id say 2k max... much more comfortable around 1500... but if i can get a functional fridge for $600 im not gonna shell out the cash for some bullshit french doors or wifi doodads.

And i prefer moa for refridgerators

@Sirshredalot I hear you with all the "wifi" doodads. I have a French door style with the freezer lower, I'm pretty happy. The biggest thing was a ice maker in the door. Good luck!

Bought a Samsung fridge in March that died last week. Didn’t even make it 5 months. Timely thread that I’ll be keeping an eye on!

Frigidaire probably has the lowest cost most reliable 'no frills' fridges out there

grab yourself one of those 10% off lowes coupons and a lowes credit card with free financing for 6 months and go for it.

I own two Frigidaires and have not had any issues. One is only 2 years old, the other is about 20.

that said check out this thread

see what kind of deals you can get. I bought my most recent fridge before I knew about this thread.

Most appliances these days will last 5-10 yrs, longer if it has fewer doodads. Just spent $200 on a 7 y/o Whirlpool side by side, the "mixer" per the repair tech, (water valve that sends water to the door or ice maker) developed a pinhole leak on the supply side, so it leaked water for about 5 days and ruined some 5 yr old hardwood flooring from the 2018 renovation we did. I was hesitant to renew the service contract on it when it came up for renewal earlier this year, but I did as it has made weird noises from day one, but a lot of the reviews on our model mentioned those same weird noises (most common being a jet engine whine). LOL It took 3 weeks to find someone to come look at it, determine the problem, and another 2 weeks to get the part in and the tech come back. Fridge is still sitting in the middle of the kitchen as waiting on the guy to come fix the damn flooring. LOL

Samsung ice makers are huge failures. mine, my SIL, and neighbor all had same problems. All 3 had same repairs on 2x occasions. No repairs lasted more than 2 months

No Samsungs. No LgS. No Kenmore Elites (LG Guts)

Samsungs will have countless ice maker issues and separated heat exchangers

LGs and the Kenmore Elites are rife with compressor issues. Like so bad they’ve had Class Action Suits.

GE are hit or miss. Hearing problems with the new R600 comps.

Whirlpool side by sides have always debentures workhorses.

Anything new is now running off of R600 which is a flammable/explosive refrigerant. Know that going into it.

Reactions: johnnycat
Whirlpool side by side for me. LGs and Samsungs are crap from everyone I've known to have one, including myself.

William fridges are good, and Ive heard good things about Perry fridges too.

I like the rectangular shaped ones that keep things cold with little noise and less maintenance

• Haha
Reactions: Ric O'shay
Samsung refrigerators SUCK, as do their laundry machines. Ours was replaced once under warranty, replacement unit shit 2 icemakers before they replaced the freezer door, and then after warranty expired, the icemaker on the new door died again.

Will never own another Samsung fridge or washer/dryer.

Great luck with the LG we bought to replace it.

Plessers in New York is a great, inexpensive place to buy appliances. They deliver.

Have a Samsung we bought new about 12 years ago. It has had some issues, but is lasting so far. My son bought the same one - side by side, freezer on the bottom - and his crapped out after about 7 years. Have Samsung washer and dryer that are doing okay.

The fridge we replaced was a Kitchen Aid that we bought new over thirty years ago. Simple fridge with top freezer, still running strong in my basement keeping all my beverages cold and the freezer is also full. I will try to keep that one going as long as it can.

I wouldnt buy a Samsung ever again. Had one with the French doors and the bottom freezer. It would always freeze over on the bottom and would have to clean it out at least once a month. It finally died earlier this year and got a LG with a craft ice option and it's nice! Also has a partial front door for the drinks. No issues with it so far.