• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Refurbishing or new rifle?

ut755ln

Rub some dirt on it
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2011
Houston Texas
I have the following rifle

- GA Precision 513
- .260 Remington Templar Action
- Tuned Remington Trigger
- 24" Bartlein 1-8 barrel MTU
- Tubb Brake
- Surgeon Bottom Metal
- Manners T5 Adjustable Stock
- Front Picatinny Rail
- 6 Flush cups
- 3, 10 round AW mags

I never competed but have enjoyed shooting it to the point that I have finally shot out the barrel. In hindsight, I think I made a bad choice picking the 260 over the 6.5 CM. I was wondering if the right answer isn't to just re-barrel the rifle into 6.5 and call it a day or if there would be much benefit in kind of doing a bigger rebuild. I could re-barrel, pull the action and bottom metal and drop it in a lighter weight chassis or lighter stock.

In another thread, I took everyone's advice and just recently sent in my PM2 to have it worked on and I am changing the reticle to the GRID.

My other option in all this is just to go new rifle. I would prefer to keep my total cost around $3k but I am not sure if this is doable?

Why a bad choice with regards the 260 over the 6.5cm. Rebarrel and shoot away, not happy with the rifle?, use the money you save to shoot more.

There's not a thimble full of difference in barrel life between the two.
The CM has a better selection of factory ammo.
There are several companies making prs production class rifles for less than 2500 dollars.
I see ZERO benefit to building a new rifle when you have an excellent one that only needs a new barrel.

Cheapest option is just rebarrel. If there are particular things your not happy with it might be worth buying one of the budget type customs but otherwise not having to buy another action saves you atleast $1k. A new barrel will cost you less that a new action alone.

If you're happy with the action, stock, trigger, have a new barrel put on and start working on shooting that one out.

What is GA Precision 513? 513 the serial number?

If you are happy with everything but the barrel then rebarrel to what you want. Yup it's that simple. If you want to change the stock then change it. Do you want or need lighter? You can get lighter by just using a lighter contour barrel than the MTU and leave everything else.

The 260 was VERY popular at one time. I'd go ahead and have it rebarreled into a 6.t Creedmoor. Just for a change. I still have a 260 and love it.

Sounds like you want factory ammo so I would go 6 or 6.5 creed