• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Regrettable pictures?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    We have all taken pictures of harvested animals that we have later regretted. At least, I know I have taken a few. Shots of trophy bucks in the back of a pickup, riding an elk like a drunk cowboy, carcasses piled like firewood, lopped off heads, etc. there was a similar thead brought back to the top a few weeks ago that dealt with picture composition. Perhaps we could show some of our most egregious photographic mistakes, how we got to that point, and what we would have done different.

My worst offender is a use deer doe that I spined with my muzzle loader on a hunt in SW Nebraska. I cut her throat to finish her off but in my zeal cut most of the way through her neck. Needing to keep the head attached to the carcass at least until we got her back to be processed, I left the head attached by a bit of skin. The carcass was hung in a barn over night and we skinned her in the morning. The picture I have is of a deer carcass hung by a single rear leg, head nearly cut off, and me holding the other leg. I have it in my album of hunting pictures, but I cringe every time I see it. I'll post it here if I can find the digital copy.

What could I have done differently? Well, I could have not taken the photo... Also, I could have taken my buddy's advice (who is apparently deathly afraid of paraplegic cervids) and put another bullet in the deer instead of cuting her neck. I now always carry a camera (even if it is just a cell phone, but most often a digital slr) and a tripod whenever I go to the field.

I am still working on the other guys on our lease who seem to think a severed head casually tossed in the back of a pickup at night is the height of trophy photography.

Proper planning prevents poor photography...

Okay, that's mine. What's yours?

What I Find Myself Regretting Is Either Not Taking Enough Pictures Or Not Proofing The Ones Taken Before Leaving The Scene.

I regret pics of me posing with a trophy in Baghdad getting out and losing half pay for 45 days....

And just curious, if you regret it so badly, why the hell would you dig it up and post it on the Internet? Doesn't sound like regret...

Make a thread to post the "pictures you regret taking the most"... Brilliant!

Some of the stories might make us laugh but it seems off to post up such pictures for the www if they are the ones you actually regret.

edit: Delta4-3 types faster than I do

I was thinking of this more as a learning experience. I guess not everyone likes to learn from their mistakes. My mistake...

I thought this was going to be a thread about your girlfriend sending pictures to your wife.

Made a bad shot on a running doe and took out both back legs. Had to put one in the back of the head to finish it. Blew out the mouth and both eyeballs were hanging out. Got some pics of it hanging in my cousins garage by its neck. Both back legs shot off and face all blown out.

Made a bad shot on a running doe and took out both back legs. Had to put one in the back of the head to finish it. Blew out the mouth and both eyeballs were hanging out. Got some pics of it hanging in my cousins garage by its neck. Both back legs shot off and face all blown out.

I have finished off a few of other peoples wounded that were like that. I have seen some carnage from well placed headshots also.

I tracked a barely wounded cow (she would have made it) for seven or eight hours, over about the same distance. My buddies wife shot her so she tagged along. Once the cow started laying down every hundred yards in a pool of blood I knew we were going to be on her soon. Since it was Eve's shot I set her up to make the kill shot. I sent her down a draw in an opening and I pushed through where I thought the cow was. I was right and Eve shot that cow at about thirty five yards with a partition (in an '06). It destroyed the quarter she hit it in, but stopped the elk. I took a knee and tried to put one through her head. I blew her jaw almost clean off. It was awful. I don't like wounding animals and don't like them to be in misery so I ran up to her and shot her with an lcp in the head. She died and started kicking, but I wanted to be sure so I put another one in her head. It was gruesome. No pictures but I think it would have qualified. That night it dipped below zero and stayed that way for a few days. She froze solid. I had two elk in the back of my little toyota pick up with their heads stuck out the top because they were frozen solid, one could hardly be called a head. When I got home a few days later my daughter was a little traumatized when she left the house to go to school with a mutilated elk head with one eye open (the other was gone) watching her load up in the car.

I have some of my Dall sheep, that unfortunately ran an eighth mile or so before succumbing pumping blood from its wounds, mouth and nose, on a white animal to the uninitiated it looks pretty bad. I don't look my best either, but whatever, they're not really for public consumption. I don't take pics of headshots, hanging, or skinned game.