• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Release Agent for Bedding

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Anyone ever used Hornady One Shot for a release agent when bedding a rifle? Over heard a guy saying how well this worked and I wondered if anyone here had ever tried it. I always use Brownells but a spray on release would be pretty handy.

I haven't used One shot. I just used turtle wax hardshell. super easy to apply, worked great, and was pretty cheap.

Anyone ever used Hornady One Shot for a release agent when bedding a rifle? Over heard a guy saying how well this worked and I wondered if anyone here had ever tried it. I always use Brownells but a spray on release would be pretty handy.

I think OneShot should work pretty well. I used some wheel bearing grease that I had lying around the garage, worked great when I bedded my Manners stock. Just put it on real thin then wipe the majority off with a paper towel. Leaves a microscopic film that doesn't let anything stick to it.

Kiwi neutral shoe polish works great. Put a little on let it dry and buff it out.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

7mm - how long do you wait between applying One Shot and putting it in the epoxy?

I used one shot for the bedding job I did on my Bell and Carlson. I actually used one coat of kiwi neutral and then hit it with some one shot. Worked great, and you don't hae to wait at all, just spary it on and go. It does not dry. In fact when I did mine, I sprayed on the one shot and then had to take care of something for my kids and was not able to get around to starting the bedding for a couple of hours, and the one shot was still wet. I highly recommend practicing on something first, that is if you have some extra materials. I just went with what I felt worked better for me, everyone has different opinions and ideas.

Degrease. Degrease again. Smear kiwi neutral shoe polish all over, let dry. Do it again.

Makes the thinnest layer I've seen with bedding release agents (I've used the blue stuff from Brownells mostly) and just works.

Makes for shiny shoes, too.

Imperial sizing wax worked good for my scope base when bedded with JB Weld. I used the fast curing compound and have had no issues so far (about 800 plus rds).

Imperial sizing wax worked good for my scope base when bedded with JB Weld. I used the fast curing compound and have had no issues so far (about 800 plus rds).

P.V.A. (polyvinylalcohol) is a dedicated release agent used for doing composite (fiberglass) work and can be sprayed on very thin with typical equipment. It cleans up with water and is basicaly idiot proof (I Know). Hope this helps someone. Also there is a company that is named Fibreglast (Fibreglast.com) that is really down to earth and easy to work with including tech support. Check them out. Good people...

I had luck with the Hornady case lube that comes in the little white tub. Whatever you go with, thoroughly de-grease and apply the release agent twice. Basically exactly like Normbal stated. I've personally never tried the spray on case lube but I've heard it works great along with kiwi polish. For scope bases and such just remember to playdoh the screwholes really well... And give the epoxy at least 12 hours to cure before you fool with it. If not the epoxy can still be soft or not fully adhered to the metal, (usually because you didn't de-grease it well enough). Good luck.

The most recent bedding job I did, I used Johnson's Paste Wax, $5 from Lowe's. Worked far better than any other 'dedicated' release agent I've ever used

Just an update - One shot works very well as a release agent. I've done several actions since my first post and it is the best method I have so used so far. Fast, easy and releases very well.

I am a little more picky about release agent. I Bed M14 clones. I had some Brownell's TFE stick once and I had to chisel the bedding off my receiver. After that, I never questioned Gus Fisher who told me to use Valspar 225 mold release (now called Lilly-Ram 225). It's super thin and my receivers pop out of the stock just nicely. I don't have the cajones to try anything else. The bedding was so tight, the drawing numbers on my LRB receiver are imprinted into the bedding. I used the same thing when I bedded my Savage with JB weld. The results were very nice!

Oh, and it's also expensive! 2 cans cost me $65 after shipping!

Tony.

One shot works great. I use silly putty to fill voids then shoot metal with it.
Kiwi neutral on the stock where I don't want bedding to stick.

KIWI is the way to go

Kiwi neutral shoe polish works great. Put a little on let it dry and buff it out.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

I have to agree with Biggerhammer on this one. I have bedded more than 40 rifles and have always used KIWI. It is cheap, one can seems to last forever, and I have never (knock on wood) had a problem getting the action to release cleanly. I usually put it on let it dry and then buff it off and then repeat the process making sure to do a great job on the lug and the surrounding area. I can usually separate the two by just pulling them apart firmly.

Hope this helps.