• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Release agent

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    Ok so I tried bedding my scope base and hit a snag. Typically I would've used Brownells' release agent but I didn't have any so I used Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish instead. I applied one coat, let it dry and then another, then mixed up some JB Weld. With the JB Weld after about two hours I went to remove the base and it stuck to the receiver and the base so it was no joy. I removed the JB weld and started the process all over again but got the same results. I switched over and tried some Marine Tex that I had on hand because I thought it was possibly some bad JB Weld. After a while I tried to pull the base and got the same results...talk about frustrating. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the release agent or may be something with the mixtures of the compound. JB Weld was a 1:1 ratio and the Marine Tex was a 1:5 ratio and it all seemed to harden up just fine so I dunno. I might have to break down and order a can of acra release for a scope base.

Re: Release agent

Yeah, PVA is the way to go. It was designed to be a release agent. They've got many choices at www.fiberglasssupply.com HERE And if you do some Googlefu for "mold release" you'll come up with some options. That, & most places which sell epoxy, or fiberglass in any quantity will have some too.

The stuff I've always used is a liquid which you just apply with a small brush, or q-tip. It dries to a translucent blue film, so you can see what you've covered, & what you haven't. And typically I'll put on 2 coats. I don't have mine handy at the moment, but if you need the specific product which I use, hit me up by PM.

PVA is water soluble by design, so if things are really stuck, it sometimes helps to run water over the part. This dissolves the PVA in between the two stuck together items. Though I've never had things stuck together to this degree.
    Some guys will also apply a coat of Pam cooking spray overtop of the cured PVA as "insurance". Which is something I've done on occassion. Never had a stuck part yet, knock on wood.

Trigger Monkey, if you have a few items which you're willing to use to experiement with release agents on, try a couple of coats of automotive paste wax. Perhaps with a shot of Pam cooking spray once the wax has been cured & buffed.
    Can't hurt if you try it on unimportant parts/pieces of metal, & it might get your rig up & running sooner than waiting for a bottle of PVA or similar to be shipped to you.

Also, have you tried the freezer trick on stuck parts? Sometimes the contraction of the cold is enough to assist the release agents in breaking things free. Lots of guys have done it to free up barreled actions which they accidentally glued into their stocks when bedding.

I'm surprised you couldn't get the base off with Kiwi. Did you make sure to buff the wax off before applying the epoxy? Also, tapping the part with a plastic hammer or the handle of a screw driver will usually knock off the stubborn ones.

Clean with alcohol or acetone first. Then Kiwi neutral. Put it on heavy, let it sit for a couple of minutes. Buff/wipe off, repeat again, good to go. Should still be able to feel it on there slightly. Has worked for me a bunch of times. That's weird.

Marine Tex Grey - 1:6.3 by weight

Carnuba car wax - works every time.

I use this for bedding stocks and scope bases.

Are you scuffing the bottoms of the scope bases with your dremel first?

Also, leave an 1/8" gap around the screw holes in the bases. The bedding will flow when you tighten everything down.

Don't forget to put some carwax on the threads in the action AND on the hold down screws.

Thanks all, I'll give the pam a try, I have some on hand incidentally and if that fails a friend has some Brownells release agent, which I know works.

Surprinsingly the Pam worked pretty good, the base is bedded and torqued to the gun. Normally I'd just use Brownell's Acra Release since it's been a pretty proven performer for me but I didn't want to order a whole can for just a base. A friend had some but he's out of town at the moment so that was no joy. Anyway, my budget build moves on...