• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reliable action... Which one?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
Alright so I am looking for the most reliable action that I can purchase. Just the action not a complete rifle (so no one say Accuarcy International!). Some things that I think contribute to a reliable action is integrated recoil lugs, integrated 20 MOA base and a preferrably one piece bolt. Whether the bolt handle is bolted on, welded on integral really doesn't matter. The cartridge the action will be used with is, so far, going to be .338 Lapua. Also a secondary consideration is compatible DBM systems. I would prefer to use AI AW magazines but any reliable systems will work. Truthfully the DBM will only be used when I use the rifle for hunting. I tend to single load when I'm target shooting. However I want to be able to load atleast 5 rounds into the DBM.

So what do you all think?

Re: Reliable action... Which one?

I think a magnum xl Surgeon action and matching bottom metal will fill the bill.

I like my Surgeon XL more than all my other custom actions.It has only one drawback and that is weight.

Steve

How does the GAP Templar and the new Badger M2008 Lapua compare to the Surgeon?

The 60 degree bolt throw on the Badger is an attractive idea to me. Also I will be fluting the bolt when I get it. They will be long, wide, shallow flutes (think AI AWSM bolt) so it doesn't freeze up and the dirt and muck is cleared away.

Last are there any other options? I'm trying to make the weakest link in this rifle the barrel... Basically I want to shoot out the barrel before I break it, I want to be able to beat the living shit out of it and have it stack bullets on top of each other down range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also I will be fluting the bolt when I get it. They will be long, wide, shallow flutes (think AI AWSM bolt) so it doesn't freeze up and the dirt and muck is cleared away.
</div></div>

Don't the flutes actually create a place for dirt/ abrasives to build up? I think they look cool and people flute bolts to reduce a bit of weight, but I haven't really heard of people fluting for reliability/ ruggedness and I have in fact heard the opposite.

I have no personal experience with fluted bolts, though.

Go for the Badger M2008 Lapua. Great action, reliable, and backed by world class customer service. I've got several M2008's and they're all running great!

The purpose of the flutes is to prevent icing, water collects and freezes in the flutes versus on the bolt body therefore giving more leverage to break the ice. The flutes arent going to be full length, they will be directly underneath where the rear mount for a base would go.

The #1 goal of the rifle to make it like an AI AW in respects to the durability and shootability of the rifle. Now I know I wont be able to do barrel swaps very easily on my own and what not and I certainly dont intend to. Its going to be a dedicated .338 Lapua rifle. I would just buy an AI AW BUT I want a custom rifle that is one of a kind. Something no one else can replicate (well they can but still) that I can look at and say "Hey I designed that from the ground up. Each piece is there for a definitve reason and not 'just cause'."

Any word on the GAP Templar action?

Get an AWSM and have a barrel made for it. It will still be a custom rifle. Most people don't really do a lot to the action or stock anyway.

The point is that the rifle will be mine, with parts I picked. Dont get me wrong I like the AWSM alot but its not 100% what I would like and I can get what I want by spending half what an AWSM costs for just the rifle. To run a switch barrel is right around $5,000 with the AWSM and that less than Im planning on spending for the rifle at this point in time.

I think a stock Remington 700 would be a fine choice. The looser tolerances will probably work well in the great white north you call home: reliability-wise. Get the recoil lug pinned and you are good to go. Not sexy but it works. Many of the customs have pretty tight bolt to action clearance and that will impact reliability.

Another option, call Glen Harrison at Defiance Machine and tell him what you are trying to do. He can probably make a custom action and bolt to meet your needs.

I'll give him a call after the weekend and see what he has to say. Just spoke with Terry Cross and it seems I cant go wrong with either Badger or Surgeon. Most likely end up flipping a coin to decide.