• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reload life of .308 federal brass?

a8jamesa8

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2011
VTA, California
If anyone here has used federal brass what kind of life span are you getting out of it IE how many reloads?
The reason I ask is I have a bunch of once fired federal premium sierra matchking .308 brass I have reloaded and shot once fired just fine but I loaded some twice fired of the same brass and was having trouble with the brass not ejecting out of my savage 10 BA and had the bolt stick bad on the 2 I fired b4 I quit to find the problem is this brass only lasting for one reload does that sound right to anyone.

Thanks
James

Re: Reload life of .308 federal brass?

Are you full length sizing? I've switched to Winchester brass but used FGMM initially and loaded them 5 times. Never had any problems with it and have it in bucket to use later if needed. I FL sized after each firing.

I have a good impression from Federal brass. I used it because of leftovers/my non-reloading days/. Never had any problems, but it doesn't last as long as Win or Lapua. My hot loads loosen the primer pocket way sooner than the other brands. I have Lapua brass from the 90s still going strong, and I don't anneal.

I used RCBS competition FL die to size the brass first and second loads but the second loads are not wanting to come out of the rifle. I took the stuck brass to my local gun shop for some advice and he felt the inside of the brass with a dental pick thing and said he felt a slight bump on the inside around the case head he had advised me not to shoot that brass.

You are over full length sizing the brass. That inside bump is a "stretch mark" which means that the case has stretched from being fired in a longer chamber than it was initially fired in, then resized to minimum length, then fired again...stretching it again. If you want to use the "once fired brass", then size it only until it fits your chamber...don't do the,"screw the die down until it touches", crap directions. Unscrew the die until it won't size the "once fired cases" down enough to fit and chamber in your rifle. Then screw it in one eighth of a turn, sizing it down each time and trying it in your rifle each time, until it allows your bolt to close with a bit of "touch" when you close the bolt. Do two or three more at that setting. An extra 1/16th of a turn will guarantee that the rifle won't jam a long cartridge. When that fits, size another case, and while it is in the die after sizing it, lock the lock ring. That will get you the correct length. JMHO

Not only are you over resizing, your loads are too hot, at least for Federal cases. Load lighter and it will last longer than most others.

I had the same problem initially with Federal brass in a Savage 10FP. I have to trim the cases after every firing and have not had any problem yet. I am trimming to 2.010 inches. This will be my fifth loading.

I am close to 9 or 10 reloadings with my fed brass. I have full length sized it once, and neck sized all other times

Forster makes a very nice go-nogo gauge that tells you if you should bump the shoulder or trim length. Get one. Sounds like your cases are too long. FL sizing will reduce case life considerably, especially if you have a chamber at the long end of SAAMI spec.