• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reload Svg 10FP .308 for hunting, and LR learning

adrenalinelife

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2011
Colorado/ Montana
I am new to reloading, and looking for some advice.

I have a Savage 10FP .308, that seems to like the Winchester Ballistic Silver tips in 168 grain as far as factory ammo goes.

I have two goals.
1. Reload for hunting.
2. Reload to learn distance shooting.

in my research it looks like the IMR 4064 and IMR 4895, and Hodgedon Varget are good powders for this round. A guy from the local Sportsmans Warehouse recommended I use Hodgedon BL-C(2)

I am thinking of using the Hornaday 178 BTHP, or the 175 Sierra Match to learn distance shooting.

Are there any suggestions or deviations that I should consider, and if so why?

thanks in advance.

Re: Reload Svg 10FP .308 for hunting, and LR learning

I have had excellent luck with Varget in all 5 308's I've owned. In the 168-175 grain bullets it's PERFECT. I would start there.

Are you looking to have one load to rule them all? If you're trying to get one load for hunting and target shooting I would recommend the 178 Amax based on others' reports of them or the 175 Berger hunting VLD. The VLD has killed everything I've shot with it so far (haven't shot anything over 300 lbs, so couldn't tell you about elk) and has also been the most accurate bullet I've tried in my 308's.

If it were me starting out I'd give the Amax a try first as they're half the price of Berger, lets you get more time behind the rifle.

Thanks for the response RyeDaddy,

I will try and track down some Varget where I am at, Sportsmans Warehouse was out of it yesterday.

I do not mind working up two different loads for the LR shooting vs Hunting, although I will work on the hunting loads first given the time of year.

I was reading about the 178 Amax, and the Berger 175VLD. It is good to see I am kind of on the right track.

Just curious, is it the Sportsman's Warehouse in Loveland?

I miss having Sportsman's Warehouse, we had one here but it closed down after Cabela's opened up in the area.

I've used the 165 GameKing BTHP in my 10FP and it is very accurate. I didn't like the fact that in my rifle I had to load them so short in order to close the bolt.

I just changed to Hornady 165 SST and today shot very good sub-moa 100y groups with near max load of Varget.

Give the SST's a try.

The 168gr Amax was very good out of my 10fp 1-10twist. I loaded it over 44.5gr of Varget and it worked wonderfully with Federal large rifle primers and prepped/chamfered brass. I fully prepped the brass from flash hole to neck, inside and out. I used the coated Amax and it would put a ragged hole out at 100yds and by that I mean basically all the rounds were touching each other. I've since switched to SMK's and they work pretty good, but maybe no quite as good as the Amax. Never tried the Berger's, mostly because of cost, but from what I hear they are the shiznit!

Oh yeah and get yourself a neck sizer for your brass. It will make your reloading easier and faster, plus it will make your brass last longer. Once you fire your round, then your brass is chamber matched, fire formed, for your rifle and there really isn't any need for a full length resize at that point.

I am near Missoula Montana currently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, is it the Sportsman's Warehouse in Loveland?

I miss having Sportsman's Warehouse, we had one here but it closed down after Cabela's opened up in the area. </div></div>

I am actually looking for a good neck sizer (preferably with the micrometer like a Match set) that has bushings so I can adjust the neck tension, I read that was the way to go. If anyone has any suggestions or has a line on something I would be interested in knowing about it.

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah and get yourself a neck sizer for your brass. It will make your reloading easier and faster, plus it will make your brass last longer. Once you fire your round, then your brass is chamber matched, fire formed, for your rifle and there really isn't any need for a full length resize at that point. </div></div>

I will give this a definite pondering. what would the advantage be, or have you tried a bullet near 175 to 178 in your 10 FP yet?

Did you find that eh Hornaday 165 SST fit better? what was your OAL, and have you mic'd your chamber to get the headspace measurement also, what is your proximity to the lands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used the 165 GameKing BTHP in my 10FP and it is very accurate. I didn't like the fact that in my rifle I had to load them so short in order to close the bolt.

I just changed to Hornady 165 SST and today shot very good sub-moa 100y groups with near max load of Varget.

Give the SST's a try. </div></div>

Thanks for the link to the loads, very helpful.

I just picked up some Varget, and IMR 4064. I am pretty sure I will be able to find the 165 BTHP Gamekings locally, I have to look for some Berger's but I thought I saw them at SW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gnab2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget is the ticket. There is a couple of us in the gruop that shoot 308s and for hunting a couple like the 165 gr BTHP Gamekings. I think that around the 44gr is common but my 10FP 20 incher likes 155 VLD Bergers with 43.8gr of Varget... But start low and work up.

Loads:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=323517#Post323517

</div></div>

I didn't have much luck with the 165's. Not to say you won't, but i didn't. I found that my rifle likes 168's and up. I've also tried the IMR4895 with luck. I'm going to try some IMR4064 to see what it will yield. It appears that it should carry alittle more MV and hopefully alittle better down range ballistics.

I use a set of Lee dies, but the neck sizer is not a bushing type. There are alot of brands for that. I use a Forester FL die to resize new/non fire formed brass. Then it is strictly a neck sizer at that point.

I've found, though I have not checked my distance to the lands, that my rifle likes about a .010" into the lands, instead of a jump to the lands. With that said, your rifle may be different in that account. There are several accurate ways to check the chamber, from having the tools and doing it through the muzzle to making a molding of your chamber. What I do is to load a longer OAL until I can see the land marks on the bullet. I then measure the marks on the bullet. Now you can only do this once per bullet or you won't be able to tell. I'm at about 2.880" when I'm approximately .010" into the lands by my measurement. My rifle seems to like that, but I also have a CDI DBM and use AI mags, so I can get away with that alittle better than the guy running a factory magwell setup. All I'm saying is simply play with the OAL of your round and see where your particular gun likes to be. I didn't start doing this until I had found an approximate load that my rifle liked.

Also if you do load into the lands, keep an eye on your brass or monitor your pressure information to make sure it's safe. I do this using a method that shows when the brass starts to "flow". By this I mean that you can see when your brass is starting to imprint, the best terminology I can think of at this time, the features of your bolt head/ejector plunger, extractor in the rim/head of the brass that you're using. I usually adjust my powder charge in .5gr increments until I find something that is close and then I'll fine tune it, but I'll start in a safe range and load up until I see the brass "flow" and then I'll back it off about .5gr and see what it looks like. At that point, I've found the maximum charge I can use with that bullet in my gun. Like I said though, if you've found a max charge and then you load into the lands, you will possibly have an unsafe pressure at that point. So I would back it up a grain or two if I decided to load into the lands and then start working the load back up until I see signs of pressure problems. Hope some of this is helping and as always, I'm not an expert so check the powder manufacturers and such to make sure you have a safe load. Attention to detail is where the fine tuned accuracy is at, along with consistency in your loads to be duplicate a successful load time after time. Take good notes along the way and you'll find something that performs within your perameters that is safe to shoot as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trajectory_student</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will give this a definite pondering. what would the advantage be, or have you tried a bullet near 175 to 178 in your 10 FP yet?

Did you find that eh Hornaday 165 SST fit better? what was your OAL, and have you mic'd your chamber to get the headspace measurement also, what is your proximity to the lands?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've used the 165 GameKing BTHP in my 10FP and it is very accurate. I didn't like the fact that in my rifle I had to load them so short in order to close the bolt.

Give the SST's a try. </div></div> </div></div>

The SST is loaded to 2.755". I loaded the GK to 2.707 so that the bolt would close w/o excessive pressure.
I don't have a 'good' way to measure proximity to lands. On the SST I used a .308 case with a slit neck and put a bullet in it and closed the bolt. Using that method I measured the OAL at 2.818.

I gave you the wrong info on OAL that I was using. I guess that's what I get for going off the top of my head. I'm at about 2.825, through AI mags, and that's loading into the lands by about .010". I did experiment with alittle longer OAL, but it yielded no dividends. It seems from my experience and most of what I've read that about the .010" into the lands is about the tops, but I've read of others loading deeper with success. Sorry for the wrong info.