• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reload Testing Methods

Blue3Bravo

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
PA
I’m new to reloading and the SH members here have been great with getting me squared away and up and running with my first batch of “working” reloads. I went off to the range today with 60 rounds - 10 rounds of each of 0.5 incremented weight breaks, results were good but it had me wondering what method(s) others use for finding there rifle’s best load? Should I test with more than just 10 rounds per each weight, multiple sessions per weight etc?

Re: Reload Testing Methods

A lot of guys here use a "ladder test". Where they fire one round of each loading at a target at an extended range(usually about 600yds it seems). They then take the Charge weights that grouped together the best and divide those into loadings of smaller increments and repeat the test until they have found the most accurate loading that will also be the most forgiving. Hope I explained it well enough to understand. There is a thread on these tests around here somewhere.

Thanks guys & yes I was previously reading about the ladder method but to be honest I was wondering if 10 rounds at each weight were enough let alone only one round of each. This might be ok for you perfect shooters but I'm trying to eliminate what was the load making compared to errant shooting.

Thanks Bob, that article addressed many of my same concerns

I have never been able to reproduce the effect on accuracy of a powder charge.
I have loaded up and segregated ammo by powder change.
Some loads seem to get better groups than others.
Then I go to the range again with the same variety of loads, and the results are all different.

But I sure have been able to reproduce the effect on accuracy of seating length. Most bottle necked cartridges shoot best with the bullet seated into the lands.
And they do it again the same, the next time to the range.

But I sure have been able to reproduce the effect of different bullets. Vmax are almost always better than exposed lead tips.

Likewise I can repeat the effects of; wind, bent case necks, off center chambers, short fat barrels vs long skinny barrels, fast twist vs slow twist barrels, Copper fouling in barrels, 40X scopes vs 4X scopes, ratio of the bullet weight to rifle weight, chamfering the inside of the case necks, etc.

My abilities and standards are too low to benefit from tuning the powder charge. I put it down in the same category as weighing brass, turning necks, de-burring flash holes, weighing each charge, gluing the action to the stock, 2 ounce triggers, trued actions, etc.

What does it all mean?
I have given up on tuning the powder charge.

To alleviate the accuracy error risk, I do a side by side ladder test. Meaning I load two sets of 10 rounds in .5 increments. I bought a roll of construction paper at Home Depot. Make horizontal lines every 2 inches. Make 2 vertical lines 1.5 ft apart. Write the 2 inch measurements in heavy black marker on one side. on the same horizontal inch mark I put a red dot sticker on each vertical line to designate level aiming points. Using a spotting scope track each shot by reading the heavy black marker 2 inch marks, and record in a notebook. This is harder then it seems. At 3 or 4 incremental rounds, I go to the target to mark the shots on the paper.

I pull a shot every once in while (300wm), so the side by side test allows for a pull or 2.

I test at 300yds. Wish it could be farther, but cant find an everyday range with more than 300yds.

Usually a group will form at the beginning of the test, then one at the end. Then I take the higher velocity group and do a 0.3gr increment ladder test over a 2.0gr range. A group will form in the range. Then using 0.2gr increments I load 4 sets of 5 rds for grouping test.

Ladder Testing

It does wonders
laugh.gif

Oh sorry... just to add to the above

Ladder testing with a round robin method at distances greater than 300 yards will yield good results.

I start with OCW and then refine the load after OCW has been determined with bullet seating experiments.