• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloader-15 Discontinued??

RedMonkey

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2009
B'ham, Alabama
Stopped by the gun shop to buy a couple pounds of R-15 to feed the .308. The guy behind the counter said that Alliant had discontinued Reloader-15. Have any of you guys heard that or is he missinformed?

Re: Reloader-15 Discontinued??

Sounds lie a load of bullshit to me. It's still listed om their site, and why they would get rid of a product that is a cash cow for them because it's used in military lR ammo, I don't know.

Go to a different gun shop.

Damn, are you trying to give me a heart attack this early on a Saturday Morning.

I heard all the ammo at walmart was factory seconds guaranteed to blow your gun up.

One time at the gun store this guy told me that the CIA has black helicopters and that bullets have tracking devices in them so I should cast my own.

Whatever... It's one of their most popular powders. It's not going anywhere, he was just trying to sell you some Varget.... LOL

I believe your gun shop guy is confused.

Latest RL-15 I have is marked as "Made in USA", whereas the older RL-15 I have is marked as "Made in Sweden". I don't think Alliant has "discontinued" making RL-15. I'd sooner say Alliant stopped importing and started producing powder domestically.

I have read a few places that the USA made powder is not as consistant as the imported version.

I have 2 new containers of rl-15 (1 lb each) looking to sell if your near my area. PM me

Just looked and I have two more 1# jugs of RE15 that are made in Sweden but the 5# jug I have is made in the USA which is great but I hope the powder is just as good.

I was at Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer, the guy I talked to said they hadn't had any R-15 in months and couldn't get any, they had plenty of everything else on the shelf so no general shortage of powder. I shot an e-mail off to Alliant Friday asking if R-15 was still being made. I'll pass along their reply when I get it. I sure hope it's BS. I'm going to call Simmons and talk to Clay Monday, he's one of the owners and should know the facts.

Now that I think of it....Have not seen any RL15 on the gunshop shelves for many months? All the RL 15 I had was made in Sweden...excellent powder. It used to be cheap, and I bought it in lots of 4-5# jugs.

I just bought a couple of 8# jugs of Varget, so I should be GTG for a while.

Powder valley has it in 1 lb. or 5 lb. I bought 15 lbs from them a few months back.

Yeah, makes total sense for alliant to d/c their most popular powder.

My 15#'s says "Made with pride in the USA" Reloder 15 lot 05074 Shift 2 05/20/10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plinker625</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All RL15 is made in Sweden! The labels on 1# are in error, and if you do not believe it , get it from [email protected] </div></div>

Awhile back there were some mislabelled jugs of RL15 but apparently sometime receintly (2-3 years) they have started making some in Virginia. I don't know if they paid Bofors for the formula or came up with something very close but they do now make RL15 in house.

they dont make it anymore but i have some for $100 a pound

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One time at the gun store this guy told me that the CIA has black helicopters and that bullets have tracking devices in them so I should cast my own. </div></div>

What's your point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One time at the gun store this guy told me that the CIA has black helicopters and that bullets have tracking devices in them so I should cast my own. </div></div>

What's your point? </div></div>

Don't believe a fucking thing you hear in gun stores. 99.9% of it is BS.

I even heard all weapons are bad! You must give them to me
laugh.gif

Anything read on the Internet or heard at the gun counter HAS to be true..........(extreme sarcasm)

Keith

I got a reply to my e-mail from Alliant today. Acording to Ben Amonette, Consumer Service Manager with Alliant, Reloader 15 is alive and well and is NOT going to be discontinued. That still doesn't tell me WHY I can't find any locally?

Maybe the guys in the 'black helos' have hijacked all current stocks of R-15 and are selling it on the black market?

Guess I'll buy on line and get screwed with the "Haz Mat" charge...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awhile back there were some mislabelled jugs of RL15 but apparently sometime receintly (2-3 years) they have started making some in Virginia. I don't know if they paid Bofors for the formula or came up with something very close but they do now make RL15 in house.</div></div>

Yeah well you sure do not know what you talking about! Email the guy at Alliant ask him where it is made? It is not in the USA!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plinker625</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awhile back there were some mislabelled jugs of RL15 but apparently sometime receintly (2-3 years) they have started making some in Virginia. I don't know if they paid Bofors for the formula or came up with something very close but they do now make RL15 in house.</div></div>

Yeah well you sure do not know what you talking about! Email the guy at Alliant ask him where it is made? It is not in the USA! </div></div>

Actually, I do. THe newest 5lb jugs say "Proudly made in the USA" on them. I have 3 that were made within the last year if you want to see pictures. From what I've been told, this is not the misprint problem from several years back. Why would they have a misprint many years ago, then suddenly within the last few years have another "misprint" that lasts this long?

I was actually disappointed to see this, since RL15 has always been essentially the same powder as Norma R203-B at a cheaper price. If you have received a very recent email stating that once again they are having printing issues I will be ecstatic. I do find it troubling though that they would have this many "misprints" in the last 5-8 years though.

I started a thread on American made vs Swedish made RL15 a while back after I heard rumors of the American stuff being dirty, slower, etc. It would be nice to clear this up once and for all.

From the horses mouth as of today, I asked if <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY</span> RE15 was now made in the USA because I have a 5lb jug that clearly says made in the USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. RL 15 is still made in Sweden. That was a misprint on some of the
labels. Thanks for your note and have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
Consumer Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company
</div></div>