• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Reloading 300 Win Mag to 30-06 performance

BenelliSBE

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
I am encouraging my dad to practice more with his 300 win mag for an upcoming elk hunt, but his sporter weight 300 win mag beats him to death during extended range sessions. I was wondering if I could reload some rounds to ~30-06 performance. I haven't found any such loads in my manual, but I am curious to know if any manuals have a load that would be suitable. I am willing to order something different, but I have a bunch of 165 grain bullets that I would prefer to use.

Re: Reloading 300 Win Mag to 30-06 performance

I pulled some 190 SMK bullets from some A191 and replaced them with 175 SMK's just for grins. Recoil was nothing and velocity was 2850fps.

The A191 had 72 grains of powder. I believe it was RL22.

That may be a starting point.

Load it as if it were 30-06 and adjust as needed over a chrony. 4895 will likey give good accuracy and 414 would also be a good powder to try. I would try to stick to bullet weight / powder combos' shown in both wm and 06, just reduce to the 06 loadings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtnCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Load it as if it were 30-06 and adjust as needed over a chrony. 4895 will likey give good accuracy and 414 would also be a good powder to try. I would try to stick to bullet weight / powder combos' shown in both wm and 06, just reduce to the 06 loadings. </div></div>

Wouldn't there be quite a bit of difference because of the extra empty space(case volume) vs the 06? Maybe it's not enough to matter? This is not something I have experience with; however, I know that just changing the seating depth of a load can fairly significantly affect chamber pressures.

Go to Hodgdon's reloading data center. They have loads for the 165s in a 300WM. Just use the lighter loads. Don't use other cartridge data in a different cartridge. Safety should be the first thing you think about when reloading.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BenelliSBE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">his sporter weight 300 win mag beats him to death during extended range sessions. I was wondering if I could reload some rounds to ~30-06 performance. </div></div>

You could download a 300 WM to 30-06 by using a chronograph and ligher bullets until you got 30-06 MVs.

It would be easier to loan him a 30-06.

I further suspect that if he keeps shooting the 300WM loaded for Elk at practice, he will probably develop a flinch--which will do nothing good on your hunt.

Use a faster than standard .300 powder. 4895 or 3031 are good easily ignited powders. Don't just reduce the slow burners. 60 gr of 4895 will give about 30-06 speeds with the 165 grain bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phearkno1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a muzzle brake be an option for him? </div></div>

+1

Thank you for all the excellent feedback. I think I am going to go the "Youth Load" route. I'll order some lighter bullets and use H4895.

As to the muzzle brake idea. That is a no-go for both aesthetic and acoustic reasons. (If it were my rifle, it would be an option.).

Now my question is whether to use magnum primers or large rifle primers. The youth loads list large rifle primers, but the the normal loads with H4895 suggest magnum. Could I safely use the magnum primers with a reduced load of H4895?