• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 300NM

CasperTheFriendlyGhost

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 19, 2023
Traveling
Hello,

I am currently doing all my research to get into reloading; I am reading and reading and reading to make my plans but I'd just like to ask a probably stupid, and simple question, before I go too far down the rabbit hole. I tried to search, and I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered many times, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm calculating things right and I didn't see anywhere that it was broken down in a way that makes sense to me or I'm just not searching right.

I'm trying to calculate the difference in cost between reloading 338LM vs 300NM. I was originally going to shoot 338LM, but 300NM as been recommended to me as being a superior choice since I don't have any of the necessary support structure for either round, and will have to buy everything anyways, now is the time to make the decision on what direction to go, but that's not so much the focus of this, although I'm definitely leaning towards 300NM.

It seems like reloading in significantly less expensive than buying match ammo. The match ammo I am seeing for 300NM averages around $5.40 per round. When I do the math for reloading, not counting the cost of the equipment of course, I come out with this:

230grain Berger Hybrid: $65 per 100, so 65 cents per bullet
8 Pounds Hodgdon H1000: $240 per 8 pounds, 7000 grains per pound, at 82 grains per round, comes out to 650 loadouts, so 37 cents per load
Brass: $3 per brass, but get 10 fires, so 30 cents per firing
Primers: 215M Federal Gold Medal Match, $100 per 1000, so 10 cents per round

Am I missing something fundamental? It looks like it would only be $1.42 to load each round versus paying $5.40 for commercial match ammo? Am I doing something wrong in my calculation? Also, I realize there is some amount of consumable cost as well in oils and media and what not, which I have not accounted for yet.

Thank you for any input! :giggle:

Part of your problem will be sourcing materials. Reloading supplies are VERY hit and miss right now.
Yep H1000 prices are more like $350 and above. 215m primers are $150-$200 per 1000. Plus the price increase starts January 1 up 7% on about everything.

The real question is WHY do want to shoot the 300NM? What do you shoot with right now.

I currently shoot precision 22lr as well as 308 and 6.5cm. I want to shoot further even though I know I'll be bad at it. :ROFLMAO: 😂 I just did google searches for my prices, but even if I'm low, and even if I adjust my prices to that, it shifts my powder cost from 37 to 52 cents and my primer cost from 10 to 20 cents, that still only amounts to $1.67 per round versus the match prices.

So am I calculating this properly?

Reactions: Im2bent
I currently shoot precision 22lr as well as 308 and 6.5cm. I want to shoot further even though I know I'll be bad at it. :ROFLMAO: 😂 I just did google searches for my prices, but even if I'm low, and even if I adjust my prices to that, it shifts my powder cost from 37 to 52 cents and my primer cost from 10 to 20 cents, that still only amounts to $1.67 per round versus the match prices.

So am I calculating this properly?
Ok yes you are calculating properly.
What’s your budget on get into reloading as far as as a press and other tools.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Ok yes you are calculating properly.
What’s your budget on get into reloading as far as as a press and other tools.
Honestly, I don't really have a budget; as in, I will just get whichever equipment is going to be best/most appropriate. I have never done any reloading but we do have a Forster CoAx and a bunch of stuff to do 308 and 6.5 that I've never touched; I just don't know how to use any of it and was planning to just buy a new 300NM/338LM appropriate setup.

Honestly, I don't really have a budget; as in, I will just get whichever equipment is going to be best/most appropriate. I have never done any reloading but we do have a Forster CoAx and a bunch of stuff to do 308 and 6.5 that I've never touched; I just don't know how to use any of it and was planning to just buy a new 300NM/338LM appropriate setup.
If you have no budget you go broke fast. Look at reloading as a business. Each caliber has a start up cost at least $1000 each caliber. I would assume you will be loading for all your calibers. So I would first go buy up powder and primers in bulk for your 308 and 6.5 and quality dies. Learn to those first . Then step up to the 300NM. You can spend $5000-$7000 easy in the premium reload equipment. It’s took me a lot of years to get where I’m at along with everyone else’s here.
You’ll need a trimmer I would suggest WFT trimmer. For a scale I’d buy a high resolution scale so you can measure to the kernel. Plus is saves time. Just some suggestions. Find a local guy to help you.

What part of the U.S are located

Last edited:
I completely hear you on the budget! :giggle: I'm still in the research phase, I don't plan on spending any money until I have identified and made a plan for everything I want/need, and what it will cost me as well a oops funds for what I mess up. That's why I was laying out the numbers for my baseline "per round" calculations. The way I was looking at it is I basically "save" $400 for every 100 reloads over buying match grade commercial. So in 500 rounds, I could apply $2000 towards reloading equipment and still have "broken even" vs commercial rounds, while also owning a reloading setup. I plan on firing more than 500 rounds. I have plenty of time to devote towards reloading and I plan on doing a lot research to figure out what will be the best fit for me. :) I more meant that I'm not looking for a budget setup as much as I'm looking for a high quality, professional setup even if it costs more money, as long as spending that money is appropriate and necessary!

Why do you suggest the WFT Trimmer? Not being snarky, like, genuinely, I appreciate the input. :)

If you have no budget you go broke fast. Look at reloading as a business. Each caliber has a start up cost at least $1000 each caliber. I would assume you will be loading for all your calibers.

I completely hear you on the budget! :giggle: I'm still in the research phase, I don't plan on spending any money until I have identified and made a plan for everything I want/need, and what it will cost me as well a oops funds for what I mess up. That's why I was laying out the numbers for my baseline "per round" calculations. The way I was looking at it is I basically "save" $400 for every 100 reloads over buying match grade commercial. So in 500 rounds, I could apply $2000 towards reloading equipment and still have "broken even" vs commercial rounds, while also owning a reloading setup. I plan on firing more than 500 rounds. I have plenty of time to devote towards reloading and I plan on doing a lot research to figure out what will be the best fit for me. :) I more meant that I'm not looking for a budget setup as much as I'm looking for a high quality, professional setup even if it costs more money, as long as spending that money is appropriate and necessary!

Why do you suggest the WFT Trimmer? Not being snarky, like, genuinely, I appreciate the input. :)
Just the cost of the WTF trimmer is cheaper than a Guriad trimmer.

Yes I have the Guriad trimmer and a AMP Annealer and Satoris scale and a Dillon 550. That right there is 3k in equipment 🤣. But if you’re really serious about this go all out. And build you component stack sky high first . Prices are only going upwards. Plus WHEN the next ammo run comes. You can stay home and not worry about it. Lastly you’ll enjoy the fact that all your ammo is very consistent lot to lot.

Just the cost of the WTF trimmer is cheaper than a Guriad trimmer.

Yes I have the Guriad trimmer and a AMP Annealer and Satoris scale and a Dillon 550. That right there is 3k in equipment 🤣. But if you’re really serious about this go all out. And build you component stack sky high first . Prices are only going upwards. Plus WHEN the next ammo run comes. You can stay home and not worry about it. Lastly you’ll enjoy the fact that all your ammo is very consistent lot to lot.

That's a solid reason ;)

I was going to go with single stage, as I was under the impression that it was the most advantageous for consistency. Is a turret style better if you spend enough money on it?

That's a solid reason ;)

I was going to go with single stage, as I was under the impression that it was the most advantageous for consistency. Is a turret style better if you spend enough money on it?
OP if cost is no object, I would still get a really good single stage to start out with. The reason you will want a turret press is for volume, and process efficiency. It will make more sense once you get going. But its a touch premature to make recommendations based on process efficency.

OP if cost is no object, I would still get a really good single stage to start out with. The reason you will want a turret press is for volume, and process efficiency. It will make more sense once you get going. But its a touch premature to make recommendations based on process efficency.
What would you consider a really good single stage vs others? I was under the impression that the turret press was not as advantageous for consistent match grade?

First off, I'd pick a caliber that I want to shoot and a place for it.
Don't get something cause it sounds great.
A 300 NM isn't much use for a 600 yd range, many better choices.

Second, don't get into a big caliber if you don't have the resources to fund it. ( bullets, powder, brass, etc )$$$$ They cost more to feed!
If your going with a 230g bullet, most are going with VV N570 or N568
The H1000 will run cooler and be easier on the barrel, but run slightly slower.

First off, I'd pick a caliber that I want to shoot and a place for it.
Don't get something cause it sounds great.
A 300 NM isn't much use for a 600 yd range, many better choices.

Second, don't get into a big caliber if you don't have the resources to fund it. ( bullets, powder, brass, etc )$$$$ They cost more to feed!
If your going with a 230g bullet, most are going with VV N570 or N568
The H1000 will run cooler and be easier on the barrel, but run slightly slower.
I'm shooting 6.5cm and 308 under 1000 already, and plan to continue to do so. I have access to a 2500 meter range that I wanted to use whichever I go with. I'm definitely going one or the other, I've been researching the costs as well. I'm not doing it competitively, just for fun, and I do have the money to throw at it since it's a hobby. :)

I'm not set on H1000, I haven't settled on a load or load data. I was just using that as a placeholder to make sure I'm doing all this math correctly. :)

You started this thread talking about costs. In that vein you don't need gucci reloading equipment to make quality ammo. If you're rich and money is no object and you want the bling go for that zero press and cps seater but it is not necessary. And you don't need a progressive as I doubt anyone is cranking out 300NM by the hundreds. Why yes I'm a poors.

You started this thread talking about costs. In that vein you don't need gucci reloading equipment to make quality ammo. If you're rich and money is no object and you want the bling go for that zero press and cps seater but it is not necessary. And you don't need a progressive as I doubt anyone is cranking out 300NM by the hundreds. Why yes I'm a poors.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on *particularly* gucci equipment, I just meant I wouldn't buy something for $300 if there was something significantly better for $400, but I don't plan on just throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist either. :) I want to make sure I'm doing my calculations right because I want the most professional setup for the most reasonable cost; I wasn't trying to be like Wolf of Wallstreet throwing hundos off the boat, I like a good deal and I like to be reasonable, I just meant I wasn't hamstrung by a specific budget cap.

I still want to buy the best, for the most reasonable price, to get the most applicably professional setup if I'm going to do it, and that's why I'm still researching. I just don't want my research to be based on false numbers/assumptions, because that would undermine my whole plan, and I just wasn't sure if I was even calculating some of these things right because of what I perceive to be the big difference in cost per round between reloads and commercial match, excluding the costs for equipment. I tend to stay with rounds for a long time, I don't chase "new hotness," so I'm trying to make the best decision I can between 338LM and 300NM. 338LM literally has decades of support and history, but I like that 300NM has a lot of beneficial features, good per round cost, and uses a 30 caliber bullet which makes them less expensive as well as more plentiful. It's also why I'm not looking at some of the new PRC type offerings or cutting edge or newly developed rounds; there isn't a long enough support history and I don't want to commit to a round that might not have staying power as far as support structure goes. :)

I hope that makes sense! And yeah, I don't just want to buy all Gucci stuff even if I can. I like good value for money spent. :)

Here is a picture of the .mil reloading room for the AMU. The blue presses are dillon/turrets. The single stage presses are ±$350 forster co-ax. and $200-ish RCBS rock chucker. Along with some stacked boxes of dies (redding). This is all solid, proven, mainstream gear.

1701797770372.png

Yeah, I have a Forster CoAx, but I've never used it; I was planning on starting with that unless I found something better in my research. I thought with my inexperience I would be better individually weighing every powder load on my scale versus trying to use a turret without understanding fundamentals, but as I said, not settled on anything and if it's smarter to just go turret to begin with, I may switch to that. The nice thing about having zero skills is having no bad habits, yet, and that either way I have to learn whatever device I use, so I don't want to become an expert on one thing when it would be smarter to just start on something else, since I have zero experience with either.

Here is a picture of the .mil reloading room for the AMU. The blue presses are dillon/turrets. The single stage presses are ±$350 forster co-ax. and $200-ish RCBS rock chucker. Along with some stacked boxes of dies (redding). This is all solid, proven, mainstream gear.

I use a Forster Co-Ax for sizing my 300 brass. Works great.
Since I'm not a high volume 300 NM shooter, I use an Arbor press for bullet seating.

I use a Forster Co-Ax for sizing my 300 brass. Works great.
Since I'm not a high volume 300 NM shooter, I use an Arbor press for bullet seating.
What do you find to be the advantage of the Arbor Press over the Co-Ax for the seating? Or do you just have them setup for reloading in stages?

Spend your money on good seating dies and a good scale (fx120i), and possibly a 3-way trimmer and IP trickler down the road. If you need features beyond what you can do with a Co-Ax, you are better off learning exacly what those things are and why they are needed by experience. Just my $0.02

you can start with a $500 Rockchucker kit and be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma smith
my initial purchase was around $2500. I purchased a MEC Marksman press (I really do like the press) a few cheap dies along with a couple competition dies. I got a cheap trimmer that I upgraded because of time and ease of use. I went with middle of the line rcbs powder dispenser and prep center along with a bunch of little things. The annealer has been the most expensive purchase but had issues with my once fired .223 brass so that saved me from losing so much of it.

I started reloading for the same reason as to save money on rounds. Some you can save a lot and some you break even or spend more on based on component prices. Ultimately you do save money per round and I bet your calculations are not far off but if you are like me you end up shooting more. The ultimate goal for me and reloading is to create rounds that are as consistent as I can possibly make them. Factory rounds can easily be 100ft ps different from round to round.

Finding components will always be your biggest issue. I always put money aside so when I do run into powders primers or bullets I can buy them on the spot without worry. If I didnt just find a deal on 2k match bullets I would have just bought a bunch of primers I found on sale.

Yeah, the Federal 215M Primers seem to be the biggest bottleneck for me right now.

I've decided to go with a 419 Zero Press, after researching it fairly extensively I think it does most everything that I want and the turret style top allows me to setup everything exactly where it needs to be without me having to change and remove dies.

I haven't settled on an annealer or trimmer yet; I'm still researching those as much as I can. I also haven't decided on a die manufacturer yet.

Things are slowly coming together. I found some decent deals on Peterson Brass and Berger Bullets and I ordered H1000 from Drifters, so I should be ready to get started pretty soon. :)

Reactions: baconstruction