• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

reloading 45acp single stage?

callen3615

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Peidmont, NC
Hey guys, I got a chance to shoot a ruger in 45acp today and loved it. My only concern with buying a handgun in 45acp is ammo cost. Would it be worth it if I reloaded? I have a single stage i use for 308. I would shoot around 200 rounds a month through it. Can I use my single stage for this? I just dont want any surprises. I am looking to pick up a 1911 sometime this late spring or summer and I want to be able to afford ammo for it.

Thanks

Re: reloading 45acp single stage?

Sure can, no reason you can't.

3 die set, rock and roll.......

yes you can reload 45 acp on a single stage it just takes a little longer than on a progressive thats all but it will work just fine. you can reload your own for about one third the cost of buying amo also so if you plan on shooting 200 rounds a month the equpment will pay for itself in time.

Shooting lead and buying in bulk is very cost effective. I pay $8.50/100 to feed my SA XDm in .45 ACP. Loading single stage may take a little longer, but you'll still get quality rounds.

If you're shooting gets to the point you need a progressive, you'll be able to use the dies you have and increase production.

Try a set of Lee dies,you will like them, load up and go shoot, it can be addictive. I have used a RCBS single stage RockChucker and can load a bunch in an hour, just get organized and off you go.

If you use Lee dies you could also use the Lee auto disk powder measure to speed things up a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kinda bullets do yall load? cheap would be nice. </div></div>

been a while since i bought bullets, but here is where i ordered my lead ones from last time

http://twoalphabullets.com/Products.htm

Man,..I have loaded a blue mile of 45 acp on my RCBS single stage. At one time I figured I was loading a box of fifty for just under $5 buck. Loading 4.5 gr N310 and the old faithful 200 gr LSWC. Shoots great. Got the load from Wilson Combat.

It is certainly slower than a progressive but if you have the time then it will be just fine.

lee turret press can be had for around 70 bux and ive been shooting lead from ccastings great prices and good lead

That .45 acp is to the pistol world what your 308 is to the rifle world. Brass is still pretty cheap, lead SWC bullets are cheap, not much powder. Just about anybodys dies work, but I would taper crimp for reliability.

Yes you can load .45 ACP on a single stage. Even at 200 rounds a month it's worth an inexpensive progressive.

I loaded my first 400 45ACP rounds single stage...I reamed every primer pocket and polished every round with 4-0 steel wool (I though I had to!). Then shot them all on that weekend.
...My fingers have never been the same, but it was totally worth it!

Do whatever you have to do...Wont be long before you go progressive though
smile.gif

We should start a pool!
smile.gif

Have fun!

I think single stage is the best way to go for those new to reloading, especially for handgun and .45 ACP. There are several powders that are popular for the 45 where you can fit a double and sometimes even triple charge in the .45 ACP cases (it never hurts to start slowly when trying something new). I really like the Lee carbide 4 die set with the Lee factory crimp die, it also acts as a post sizing die along with the crimp function to aid in reliable feeding. If I don’t count the time it takes to tumble the brass, it takes me right around 1 hour to resize, prime, charge, seat and crimp 60 complete rounds, so if you are shooting a lot you may want to look at a progressive to up the production rate but for shooting only a few hundred rounds a month a single stage press works perfectly for me.

I started reloading in 1979 when I was 16 using a Herters single stage press.
My brothers and I loaded thousands of rounds of 45 with that press. We would just do everything in stages. I still have and use a single stage RCBS press that I use for certain cartridges.

I suggest Hornady 3 die set, and a Redding Tapper Crimp die, Hornady lock rings make it so it's almost impossible to lose your adjustment once set, I prefer to crimp separately, the seating crimping together works but is a pain to set perfectly, the Redding Tapper crimp die is simple and easy to set n forget. I load everything on my Forster Co-Ax and/or RCBS Partner Press, I do most of my pistol loading on the RCBS.

For cheap and as suggest by many here, the Lee Progressive Presses are low cost and when coupled with Lee dies and the auto disk powder measure, you can load up some handgun ammo with ease and speed. I only advocate this for the inexpensive route and for auto loader handgun applications. Lee may not make the 'best' products overall, but they are durable and when not loading precision long range ammo, it just works, and works and works. I would love to step up a Dillon or RCBS auto indexing progressive press some day, but until then, the Lee has made some great ammo for both my 40 S&W and 45 ACP.

For both my calibers I do, I use Hornady XTP rounds for alot of applications or use which ever of the round nose what is on sale, Remington or Winchester are cheap in bulk. I prefer 230gr in 45 and 135 to 150 gr in 40s&w, unless going supressed and then I will use the 200gr

I loaded 45ACP and 9mm on a single stage for a while, my Rock Chucker cried tears of joy the day I mounted a turret press beside it
laugh.gif
It isn't going to be the fastest, but you can make do with a single stage and use the ammo savings to buy a press that's more suited to loading high volume handgun ammo.

I went with a LEE 4 hole auto index turret and it works great. Set up your dies on their own turret plate and caliber changes take less than 2 minutes. If you splurge and pick up a powder measure for each caliber you load, it's less than a minute to change calibers. I wouldn't trust it to make my LR ammo, but it does a damn fine job for my high volume loading in 45, 9mm, and 223.

Come on guys, read <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> comprehend....the OP wants to know if he can use the single stage press he ALREADY has, thus avoiding the cost of new gear. He can do just that with great success.

Over the past 30 years I've loaded 45LC, 45ACP, 44 mag, 44 spl, 357, 38 special, and 9mm, all on a single stage press with no issues, other than yeah, I know it's taking me a little longer...but so freaking what.

Somebody suggested crimping 45 acp's with a seperate taper crimp die, Redding I believe, yes good plan.

Somebody suggested getting organized with this at the bench, yes VERY good plan. Run your entire lot of brass through each step before moving on to the next. It might seem tedious, but you will make better ammo, and you will very soon build muscle memory which will lead to faster reloading.

I'll further suggest two more things:

1.) Forget about dicking around with flasholes and primer pockets, not needed. Just dump your shit in a tumbler and let it run for a long time.

2.) If you have the capacity make, if you don't then buy, a bunch of loading blocks. I make extra large loading blocks for handgun ammo that hold 100 cases with enough room spaced around each round so it's easier to pick up with the finger tips. One thing you do NOT want to do is drop a charged case in amongst a bunch of others and mess up all the previously done charges with an errant spillage of powder. That mistake WILL piss your time away.

A progressive is not needed, especially for only 200 rounds a month. 200 rounds is childs play once you build a system of working them. Anybody with half a lick of mechanical apptitude can rock and roll right through them.

I loaded for 5 years exclusively on a single stage, and I did a lot of handgun competition shooting as well as practicing so I was going through 500-600 rounds a month. Some things I learned about volume loading on a single stage:

* The lowly Lee Auto Prime is a great way to prime a lot of cases quickly. (Oh, and keep a case mouth chamfering tool handy to get rid of any primer crimps.)

* Using Winchester 231 or another ball powder makes for smooth charging and uniform weights...accuracy generally isn't as fine as with flake powders, but for knockaround ammo it is convenient and fast.

* Using a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die as the last step is worth the extra pull of the handle. It ensures that every round will chamber every time regardless of differences in brass thickness, bullet diameter, etc. It also applies the proper type of crimp (roll or taper) for the cartridge.

One thing to keep in mind with the ACP is that some of the "clean" ammo on the market uses small primers, so seperate that brass and use the appropriate primer.

One affordable option in bullets is the electroplated slug (Berry's, Ranier, etc.). Some of them are less spendy than cast bullets. When using cast, be aware that most commercial crap is too hard, has bevel bases, and uses crayons for lube...they <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> lead up your bore. Just get a Lewis Lead Remover (inexpensive and effective) and don't worry about it.

Finally! Somebody mentions carbide dies! Yes, and if it were me, get a FOUR die set.

I have been loading 45ACP since 1970.....on a single stage press. I buy hardball 230gr and use it and collect as many as I can find. I dump them in a large can and when I have 700/800, I buy the Sierra 200 gr. and load them up. Picking the right powder in 45ACP is not as easy as you might think. Some are very dirty and a few others perform well and are clean burning. One hint, Herco is not a good choice. Many good choices, do your own search.

The trickiest part about 45 is the crimp. It has to be just right or two things can happen. One, the bullets might be slightly loose in the neck, under recoil, and the other? I forgot? (just kidding) Too much taper crimp and the cartridge won't headspace properly. If you have the chance, buy nickel brass. Personal choice, but when mine sit getting moldy in that can, for a year or longer, it's not the nickel that needs extra prep. Obviously, I am only a part time banger, but unless you get into the competitive aspects, you won't need a progressive, so you need to make a realistic assessment of your needs. BB

Don't know about "most"? Revolvers for the most part, headspace on the case head. I think the 45 is a little different, in that regard, it headspaces on the rim of the cartridge. BB

Can it be done? Sure and if you end up only shooting a couple of hundred a month it won't be too bad. Only problem is 200/month quickly leads to 800+ a month if you hit the range regularly and that on a single stage is a Pain In Ass.

When (notice I said "when" not "if") you decide to get a progressive go with Hornady or Dillon. My first progressive was a Lee Loadmaster (Total POS) I sent it back and went with the Lock n Load and couldn't be more satisfied.

As for dies I've loaded 30k + with a Lee 4 die set. They work fine and are cheap compared to other company's ( one of the few things they make that are worth a damn)

I mostly shoot lead 200 SWC loaded over 4 grs. of Clays. Burns clean and is accurate as hell. Penn and Bootheel make great quality bullets(that reminds me I need to order another 10K)

Maybe, neo? I don't agree that 200 a month quickly turns to 800. When it does, he will know what to do. But as I related above, I don't have a burning desire for putting holes in paper and maybe this man doesn't either. You like chunking out boolits by the hundreds. Hey, great, I plunge into things too, but this guy stated very clearly what he wants and I, (for one) take him at his word. He can probably survive without a Dillon for a while?
I have. BB

By design semi-auto pistols headspace off of the case mouth. That's why the taper crimp vice roll crimp. Some semi-auto extractors will hold a short case to fire it.

I've never trimmed .45 ACP brass. I've heard about inconsistant roll crimps for revolvers from not trimming but haven't loaded enough .38/357 to run into a problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on guys, read <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> comprehend....the OP wants to know if he can use the single stage press he ALREADY has, thus avoiding the cost of new gear. He can do just that with great success. </div></div>

GREAT SUCCESS!

boratwow.jpg

I reloaded my .45ACP ammo for about 5 years on a single stage press. Pain in the butt to do more than 200 rounds at a time. But you can definitely do it. I would batch the various steps right up to the powder drop. (prime, size, bell) Then all I would need to do is drop powder, seat the bullet, put a slight crimp on it. into the bin it goes.

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on guys, read <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> comprehend....the OP wants to know if he can use the single stage press he ALREADY has, thus avoiding the cost of new gear. He can do just that with great success. </div></div>

GREAT SUCCESS!

boratwow.jpg
</div></div>

Your thread, I'm trying to help by supporting your endevour, and you mock.

What a f'n tool........

I've been using single stage presses since 1978. I couldn't count the number of rounds I've loaded. No issues.

Yes to carbide dies (so you don't have to lube them and then clean the lube off).

Get one of the hand operated priming tool. I've used the Lee model for almost 30 years and it still works great.

I bought a cheap (Franklin Armory) brass polisher/cleaner from Midway two or three years ago and have run thousands of pieces of rifle and handgun brass through it. The wires right at the motor have broken twice, simple fix (once you get it apart) and I'd buy another one. I do mean thousands of pieces of brass, too, thousands. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and it runs all night in the garage (man, that can make some shiny brass).

You'll want a set of calipers if you want to know exactly what your overall length is after you seated the bullets. I never used one, I just compared them to the factory hardball rounds (even the lead bullets I buy are mostly 230 grain round nosed bullets that look like hardball except for the color.)

I like Unique for reloading .45 acp. Its always worked well for me and my lead bullets. I use the left over plastic trays from store bought ammo boxes for reloading. They work great for the .45, not so good for the 9mm (too short to stick up out of the tray far enough to put powder in or to pick up and put in the shell holder once I put the bullet in the case.) I always take a tray of powdered cases and shine a small flashlight down into the case mouths to compare them to the other cases around them - I want to make sure they all have powder and to make sure they all have a similar amount of powder. Distractions (TV, phone call, someone trying to talk to you, etc.) are bad when putting powder in multiple cases. Try not to be distracted but realize that it will happen sooner or later.

Brass prep - I put all my brass in a plastic jug (old detergent jugs I've rinsed till they suds stop) or snack jugs, etc. When I get a jug of brass I run them through the polisher till clean (can be several hundred pieces). Sometimes there is brass that needs to be run longer or soaked in water/lemi-shine and then run through the polisher again) in order to be as clean/shiny as the rest of the brass. Then I resize them and put them in another jug. Then I run them through the die that bells (slightly opens up) the case mouth and put them in another jug. Then, when I'm ready to reload them I put the primers in and start putting powder/bullets in them and running them through the bullet seating die. I've "loaded" several hundred rounds in an afternoon (easily) many times because all the hard work (brass sorting/cleaning/sizing/etc.) was done previously.

Also, be sure to inspect the brass at every stage. You'll find brass with crack/split mouths or occasionally down in the body of the case every now and then (toss those in the scrap brass can).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Come on guys, read <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> comprehend....the OP wants to know if he can use the single stage press he ALREADY has, thus avoiding the cost of new gear. He can do just that with great success. </div></div>

GREAT SUCCESS!

boratwow.jpg
</div></div>

Your thread, I'm trying to help by supporting your endevour, and you mock.

What a f'n tool........ </div></div>

Im not mocking you. I just saw that and thought of borat, geez. Thanks for the post.