• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading 5.56 questions, where to start

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I'm thinking about starting to reload some 5.56 for my AR but I'm not sure what all I will need. I have a TON of brass already (LC, Guat, Prvi, Win, and a couple others). What will I need to start reloading for the AR platform?

-Primer crimp removal tool? What's an effective one that won't break the bank and works fairly quick?

-Dies? I read the X dies from RCBS are great, but doesn't it only come with the resizer die? Standard .223 dies or is there a specific 5.56 die? Crimp?

-Anything else?

Thanks,

-X

Re: Reloading 5.56 questions, where to start

I use
RCBS Small Base Dies
RCBS Trim Mate w/ military crimp remover
Lee Factory Crimp Die

-Some type of dedicated decapping die to get rid of the military primers without bending the decapping pin. I use the Lee Universal die for this.

-Dillon swager works for removing the crimp good, but is a bit pricey (close to $100). Sort the brass and see if you can find a bunch without the crimp (Win instead of WCC? or Federal instead of FC?) to get you going for a while......

-Any standard .223 dies. Carbide expander ball on the die is a plus to reduce the force required to size the brass and make the process go smoother. (Standard on Dillon rifle dies, add-on for Redding, etc). 5.56mm is more a throating/lead angle issue and how psi is measured, rather than actual case dimensions, for practical reloading purposes.

-Any type of tapered crimp die. Lee, Redding, (or it is included with Dillon .223 die set, but then Dillon does not give you a shell holder.....)

Some type of case trimmer, as the brass will grow after firing and resizing. Lee system is cheap and simple, but not adjustable.

I've used regular Lee dies and have since moved to Redding dies. I have not noticed any difference at the target, but the Redding dies are a little "nicer". Personally, I've never had an instance where not having small base dies presented a problem.

As far as removing the crimp, I normally buy my brass with the crimp removed by the vendor. When the occasional piece of brass still needs the crimp removed I use the primer pocket swager from RCBS as seen here;
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...m_campaign=9315 .

Others will mention the Dillon swager ( http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600 ) which is a very nice piece of equipment, but costs 3x as much. If I were going to swage a bunch of primer pockets I'd get the Dillon, but for the volume that I do, the RCBS is fine.

I also 2nd the recommendation for a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

I use the RCBS primer pocket swager also for low volume crimp removal. I agree if I had to do more I would get a Dillon.
If you go the RCBS route realize that you don't need to completely cram the swagger into the primer pocket with a full stroke on the press arm. You need to adjust the depth carefully or you will bend the swagger rod. Ask me how I know.

After bending both rods that came with the set, RCBS tech support helped me with the issue, and sent me 2 new rods free. Can;t beat RCBS customer service.

madd0c