• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading 50 BMG AMAX specifically for AR-50 help please

DanM55

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2021
Michigan
Hi, Im having trouble just finding normally velocity's for ar50s with amax bullets. If anyone else knows please let me know what velocity i should expect out of the AR50 with AMAX or even other types of ammo.

I just bought one today and would like to load some amax bullets.. I just need to know what velocitys anyone is getting out of the AR50 with this ammo or even other types of ammo would be good to know. Im newer to reloading and definitely 50 bmg This info is hard to find. Im hoping to get 2700 fps with clost to max loads.

Im using:
AR-50 A1 rifle
lake city brass
RL-50 Powder
Amax bullets or possibly others in the future
CCI Primers

Thank you for any insight you can give me on the matter

Using lee dies and press. A lot of the velocities i did find where for a 36 inch BBL. I just thought id mention that. That is a really long barrel.

Last edited:
Hi,

I hate to be the first to say this but...

New to reloading and BMG is a horrible mix, especially since you are already talking about wanting something with max loads.

Do not worry about what MV anyone else on this planet is getting but rather focus on working up your loads and getting your own MVs and definitely do not even act like you can see the max load information in any of the reloading manuals...focus on the beginning loads.

Sincerely,
Theis

Thanks im actually thinking of buying some factory amax ammo right now. Its just too bad its like 7,8$ a round at this time :(

Rarely will a load at max also be accurate. I have been reloading for a while now and I don't ever recall needing, or wanting, a load at or near max.

There are a lot more variables to take into account as you get close to or beyond max. My biggest concern would be you finding a max load that works in your gun then later on those rounds find their way into another gun where the tolerances aren't as forgiving. When a 223 suffers a cause head separation it is pretty bad but relatively safe, on a 50 BMG you would be lucky to come out unscathed.

As long as you know your drops velocity isn't really important. Your not going to gain enough velocity to make a difference one way or the other. My 50 does 2,580 out of a 24" barrel using LC API.

Reactions: DanM55
I cant even find any factory AMAX bullets in 50 BMG:( Ive tried everyplace on the web and called dozens of places. I found one place that has them for 1200$ for 100. I would consider paying that. If anyone has any AMAX 50 BMG ammo they can part with please let me know. I forgot thats why i decided to load my own.

I cant even find any factory AMAX bullets in 50 BMG:( Ive tried everyplace on the web and called dozens of places. I found one place that has them for 1200$ for 100. I would consider paying that. If anyone has any AMAX 50 BMG ammo they can part with please let me know. I forgot thats why i decided to load my own.

Not to be negative but those are just the bullets :( I did just buy 200 AMAX bullets from weidners so im looking to buy 200 factory hornady AMAX. Idk what im going to do. Its really depressing not being able to buy ammo. the ELD match 308 bullets i was going to buy from midway are out of stock now :( UPDATE: I was able to find my .308 cal. 168 grain hornady eld match bullets at optics planet of all places :)

Last edited:
DanM55, you've been given really great advice from these guys this morning. To anyone who has reloaded, your inexperience is pretty obvious and sometimes we can rib someone for that. Especially concerning 50BMG. Buy a little expensive factory loaded ammo, because we can tell you really want to shoot this gun. Then start low and you'll find the right load. Be careful 😁

Well i originally made this post to find info on reloading my 200 amax bullets i bought but now i want have at least some factory ones. Thats what i cant seem to find. I found one place that might actually have 100 rounds but for 1200$ :( most places are out of stock or it says theyre in stock but theyre not. Freedomammunition lists them as in stock but idk if i should bother buying from them. Not to be confused with freedommunitions lol

I really appreciate any help that you guys have to offer. Im not trying to be difficult or anything. You guys have been more that helpful. I greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to help me

Gonna go out on a limb and say that the freedom ammunition website is dead. At a quick glance their pricing looks off.......

Probably for his desperate attempt to circumvent the PX and try to buy ammo. I admit I felt a little sorry for him. His naivety was obvious and like THEIS said, that doesn't mix well with 50BMG.

Reactions: spife7980