• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading component selling question.

Punisher29073

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2012
White Knoll, SC
I have this friend. He has about 170 loaded rounds of RP 260 brass, 142 SMKs, and H4350. All very desirable components. He is in the process of selling the gun that they were loaded for. If he wanted to sell these components, would he have to disassemble all of them before doing so or could he sell them as components and put it on the buyer to disassemble and use as they wish?

Ryan

If they're not going with the rifle, smart money would say to pull the rds and sell separately. There are laws against selling homemade ammo or reloads, I'm not saying you can't, or shouldn't, just make sure all the bases are covered. Trust, trust, and more trust, it aint worth it unless you know the person.

It's most certainly NOT illegal to sell reloaded ammunition so long as the person did not create the ammunition purely for the purpose of "Being in the business of." Your friend can sell if he pleases, although from a liability perspective it's generally a bad idea to do so.

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

Last edited:
It's most certainly NOT illegal to sell reloaded ammunition so long as the person did not create the ammunition purely for the purpose of "Being in the business of." Your friend can sell if he pleases, although from a liability perspective it's generally a bad idea to do so.

Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]

It'll only be a matter of time before someone starts selling 80% ammo (like 80% completed actions) - Brass that is primed and powdered, cotton ball cork, and all buyer has to do is seat projectile ;)