• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Cost Excel Spreadsheet and Data Book

Supersum1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2018
NE
I've been pretty bored for the last few days, so I've been doing lots of reloading. During that, I was curious how much I was spending/saving for each reloaded round when I saw an entry on the r/reloading subreddit of a cost breakdown spreadsheet and wanted one of my own. Several hours down the rabbit hole later, I'd made an excel spreadsheet that calculates the cost of reloaded ammo by selecting the components from a drop down menu. It's pretty slick if I do say so myself and I wanted to share. Credit to u/kclark45 for the idea.

Put your component description, cost, and quantity in the appropriate tabs at the bottom, then select them from the drop down menus on the main tab to calculate cost per round. I also included some extra information that some reloaders like to keep track of (I track mine on paper, but wasn't hard to add) as well as total cost. I left in example data to show what various entries could look like. Feel free to make your entries however you want.

There is one major limitation: you can't have multiples of the exactly same entry under the Brass "Headstamps", Primer " Size / Manufacturer / Model", Powder "Model", or Bullets "Caliber / Weight / Manufacturer / Model" columns. The cost calculation on the main tab looks up the cost per component by searching for an exact match in the above mentioned column of the applicable tab (via a VLOOKUP function for you excel wizards). Because of this, it stops searching and pulls cost information from the first matched entry it finds; never even looking at later matched entries. Having multiple identical entries won't break the spreadsheet, but you won't get the right cost per round with the later cost per component prices.

How would this be an issue: if you bought identical components but paid a different price per component and wanted to show that in the spreadsheet.

How to get around this: add an identifier to each identical entry in the columns noted above. Using bullets as an example:
"Caliber / Weight / Manufacturer / Model | Price | Quantity"
".308 / 175gr / Sierra / MK HPBT - 1/20 | $175 | 500"
".308 / 175gr / Sierra / MK HPBT - 4/20 | $195 | 500"
*Where the 1/20 and 4/20 indicate the month/year these bullets were purchased.

It should be able to work through 10000 rows of data on each tab, but I admit I've only spent a few hours on testing it for bugs and broken functions so you may find issues. Let me know and I'll offer what advise and fixes I can, but I'm not an expert at excel.

Please feel free to take it, change it, add/delete stuff, and post feedback.

Screenshot (2).png

Attachments

• Reloading Cost Worksheet - Data Book.zip
    379 KB · Views: 666
The frankford arsenal app for my intellidropper records that. It's an interesting feature.
IMG_20200408_140237_272.jpg

I have something similar but much less sophisticated.
Nice job and thanks for sharing. Lots of reloading going on around here. Now I am almost out of empty brass.

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I run a similar one that I made a while back (also copied someone else's design), but it's more focused on cost per shot comparing calibers and including the cost of barrel life.

It's a protected excel sheet, so you can fill in the blanks with caliber name, components and cost, plus assumptions about brass life and barrel life, then it will spit out the cost per shot in both components and in total cost including barrel wear.

Attachments

• Barrel Cost Calculator.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Supersum1
@Ryridesmotox I had no idea the Frankfort arsenal app was that complete. I admit, I didn't do much research into what was already available, but that's a pretty nice feature.

@Sheldon N Also a great calculator! Makes for a great predictive total cost calculator for anyone trying to budget their shooting through the year. It would be interesting to do a prediction of yearly shooting costs then, at the end of the year, calculate out the actual cost of the year and compare the 2.

Reactions: Sheldon N
What we forget is range trips, fees and lunch out etc. Still "save" though. Roughly 50%? for much grade reloads

Oh-and the 1200 reloading press to be released:cool: