• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading Data for .338 Lapua

lrwcummins

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2011
NC
Hello all, I am new to the reloading field for rifles and was wondering if anyone had any loads made up for .338 LM using 250 gr SMK. My rifle is a Savage 110BA so it has the 1:9 twist. So far I have Lapua brass, remington LRM primers, and H1000 powder. I alao have a 30-06 and .270 WIN to load for so if I need a different powder for the .338 it's no big deal. If no one has a load for the 250gr SMK using H100 please recommend at least a start or different powder. Thanks for any help.

Re: Reloading Data for .338 Lapua

Welcome

Shooting the 250 grainers I ended up with around 92 grains(not max)if I remember right.

I have since switched over to using the 300 smk with Reloder 25.

You should have good luck with retumbo,RL25, your h1000, or N560 among others.

I am sure someone will chime in soon with something a bit more concrete.

Give those 250's a try, but if you find you cant get them to group well you might need to switch over to 300gn pills. It seems like from what Ive read the fast twist of the Savage prefers the heavier bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Give those 250's a try, but if you find you cant get them to group well you might need to switch over to 300gn pills. It seems like from what Ive read the fast twist of the Savage prefers the heavier bullet. </div></div>

I tried to order some 300gr but no one seems to have any in stock. I haven't even got one round through the gun yet so I just got the 250's to say I have shot it. I could have bought AMMO but decided to but 100 lapua unprimed brass instead.

Yeah, good call. i wouldnt buy the factory stuff either.

FWIW, I have a 28 inch 1/10 twist. It did fine with the 250s.

Last time I checked powdervalley had 300 scenars, and they are the cheapest around anyway.

I take that back, theyre out now, but theyre still the best price Ive ever found.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last time I checked powdervalley had 300 scenars, and they are the cheapest around anyway.

I take that back, theyre out now, but theyre still the best price Ive ever found. </div></div>

Sweet I'll have to keep that in mind and check thier site perodically from now on.

Try H4831SC and 250's start at about 85gr. You'll start approaching the max node around 88 ish depending upon your rifle. The brass will take more powder and pressure up to about 90-ish grains, but you'll start feeling a change in the recoil impulse and accuracy will probably wane.