• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading die for .338 Lapua Magnum

Jason Gebo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Ok, I've been fighting with my RCBS dies for a couple of weeks now. I've been learning a great deal about headspacing and such and that is checking out fine. Once measurement I make from smooth ejecting cases versus not smooth is the base of the case wall. It's the only discrepancy I can find, everything else checks out.

I'm curious as to what everyone else is using for a set up when it comes to reloading for .338LM What kind of dies are everyone using? My rifle is a Barrett 98B in case anyone is wondering.

Zeb

Re: Reloading die for .338 Lapua Magnum

i use a redding body die, redding s neck die, sinclair expander, and a wilson seater

Redding comp dies. I have had a lot of not so fun sizing problems with rcbs lately and I have found that their quality has gone down as of late. I am currently not using many of their dies because of it.

The Forster Benchrest die set is pretty good and is what I use, other than that I'd look at the Redding.

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated. After discovering that the #37 shell holder does NOT push the case in far enough on the sizer die and the #14 goes a little further, I'm losing faith in this new die set I have from RCBS. I'm surprised they allowed this loop hole to exist. I'll give one of those companies you guys have suggested a try and see how things work out for me.

Zeb

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but there's a Redding group buy going on and I'm also trying to figure out which Dies I need.

Shuold I just stick with the Type S Match full size set? Should I even bother with neck sizing if I'm going to get the brass annealed?

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but there's a Redding group buy going on and I'm also trying to figure out which Dies I need.

Shuold I just stick with the Type S Match full size set? Should I even bother with neck sizing if I'm going to get the brass annealed?

Thanks! </div></div>

I've had just about every 338LM die made. The RCBS dies I started with were the first to go.

I use the Forster MicroSeater with a Redding Body die and either a Redding neck bushing, or FL bushing die for the times I may be lazy.

Getting their Competition seater would be a good option. I used a Hornady InLine seater with their MicroSeating stem and it worked fine for the first 700 rounds.

Get the .364" and .365" TiNi bushings while you're at it.

I just placed an order for the group buy and it's a very good deal.

Chris

Hey Chris, great info. I just ordered a Redding FL sizer in hopes that it will fix my bolt getting stuck issue. I've done everything I can with this RCBS die and it's now going to collect dust, I may turn it into a sounder for ice fishing actually! You use the competition dies for more precise bullet seating I pressume?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebinator338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Chris, great info. I just ordered a Redding FL sizer in hopes that it will fix my bolt getting stuck issue. I've done everything I can with this RCBS die and it's now going to collect dust, I may turn it into a sounder for ice fishing actually! You use the competition dies for more precise bullet seating I pressume? </div></div>

The Forster, Redding and Hornady micro seating stems use a delineated outer stem and 40 tpi bolt, so making adjustments is just a lot easier. You have markers on them, so going back and forth between bullet types can be made easier, since you know you went up 75 thous for bullet A, from where bullet B was at the day before.

The finer threads are the way to go, but you can still get there with coarser threads found on most standard seating stems.

Chris

First I use redding dies for loading .338 lapua. I have a bushing full length sizer and comp seater.

If you can measure a difference at the base of the cartridge then it sounds like your die isn't resizing that part of the case. I have not had that issue with the redding dies so far. If you arent getting consistent results case to case though it could be something else in your setup.

Another reason cases get stuck is the load being too hot.

Yeah QuiggyB, I believe there is a slight discrepancy in the RCBS die. So far from what I've heard, no one likes to use the RCBS sizer dies, probably for the same reason I'm having issues. I do know for a fact that I'm not over charging though. I'm always very safe to not exceed max loads. Plus it still gets stuck at the suggested starting loads. This powder is pretty nice, it produce decent velocity at lower CUP pressure. I have a FL sizer from Redding that'll be here on Tuesday so hopefully that'll take care of my issues. Thanks

Zeb

Well, here's an update for my stuck shell issue. I contacted Barrett after trying everything possible related to the brass. Of course I never had any shells getting stuck with a 250 grain MK, just the 300's. The technician at Barrett said that the chamber is probably a little too tight and that they would gladly take care of it at no charge. How's that for service!!! Hopefully this will take care of my problem.

Zeb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebinator338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, here's an update for my stuck shell issue. I contacted Barrett after trying everything possible related to the brass. Of course I never had any shells getting stuck with a 250 grain MK, just the 300's. The technician at Barrett said that the chamber is probably a little too tight and that they would gladly take care of it at no charge. How's that for service!!! Hopefully this will take care of my problem.

Zeb</div></div>
Just getting around to reading this, but i have seen tight chamber problems like this before. I think from what i have read in this tread the "tech" at Barrett, is spot on.

I use the redding type s bushing neck die.(.365bushing for my TRG) FL die that doesn't re-size the neck, just bumps the shoulder, and the Micrometer seating die... Painful at first to buy but its probably some of the best non custom dies one can purchase IMHO...