• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

reloading die help

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I am thinking of putting together a 284 shehane build and am wandering where to get dies from. Is it easier to order them from Bill shehane, or send fired cases to a custum die maker like Harrels brothers? I have never had custom dies made before, but have read that they would match the chamber of your rifle better. Any input is appreciated.
Thank you
DS

Re: reloading die help

I don't know what a 284 Shehane is, but if it exists, I would bet there are dies available from somebody and I would do that before having custom dies made.

However, I own a 22/243Middlested built and provided the gunsmith with a blank Wilson die. He used the same chambering reamer on the barrel and the seating die. You could do the same thing with a Wilson neck sizer, although in my case, I just bought an available Redding FL die.

Before I would pay the freight for custom screw in dies, I would look around. BB

I don't think Harrells makes a Shehane die and it may be a Shehane exclusive and a little pricey$$$$$.
Seems to push more folks into a straight 284 which from what my 'smith says is about as good and easier on barrell's and no custom $dies$ needed.

If Redding doesn't already offer it, I believe they will make custom dies for you. They have an 800 toll free number, I would give them a call. I can't remember the guys name. But they have an engineer there ALMOST all the time.

Good luck.

Redding can make the dies, think they may want your reamer for a caliber like you thinking about.