• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading equipment -- what else do I need?

ATC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
Virginia
Well, it's begun. The other night I ordered a few of the main ingredients to reload...

Redding T-7
LE Wilson case trimmer (308 case holder for it)
4-pc Lee dies
Deburring tool
Powder trickler and funnel

I already have powder, primers, and bullets

Next on my list would be:

Digital powder scale
Powder thrower
Annealing setup (I'm going to get a JMorris blade and build one for the hell of it)
Hand primer
Wet tumbler
Primer pocket cleaner/swage tool

So...is there anything that's needed that I missed? I'm just going to be loading .308 for now, and will start on .223/5.56 once I get settled in.
What are some nice options/tools that makes the reloading life easier? Tips & tricks?

Last edited:
Personally, as a starter Id purchase a regular scale and powder measure.
.308 usually requires a lot of case prep if using mil spec brass so it saves wear and tear on the wrists to buy a case prep center and the needed attachments.
tumbling in dry media works fine and vibratory case cleaners have worked well for me.
Annealing setup? is it really needed?

Your list is a good start, but Hornady case and bullet comparators for the calibers you load are worthwhile investments.

If you want to buy a trimmer once, buy the Giraud trimmer and be done with it. I've done the manual route, I've done the powered version of the manual trimmers as well, nothing works quite as well as the Giraud. It will handle the trimming, chamfering, and deburring of the cases all in one simple and fast step. I would never go back to trimming cases another way short of a trimmer for my Dillon.

Personally, as a starter Id purchase a regular scale and powder measure.
.308 usually requires a lot of case prep if using mil spec brass so it saves wear and tear on the wrists to buy a case prep center and the needed attachments.
tumbling in dry media works fine and vibratory case cleaners have worked well for me.
Annealing setup? is it really needed?

My reloading buddy used a beam scale his first couple years of reloading. Lets just say he had a few choice words for it. Not in the sense that it didn't work, but because of the time it took for each round...eyes going blurry looking at the line, waiting for it to settle, etc... I don't think I want an automatic thrower...but just a digital scale I can use a powder measurer to get close and trickle it in to perfection.

I won't be using mil-spec .308.
The vibrators (lol) are nice, and do work well...but for $40 and some stainless pins (HF), I can have a wet one (lol again). Not to mention the noise the dry ones make...can't be in the same room with it.
And I thought annealing was necessary if you want to use your brass more than a few times before it split...?

Annealing isn't necessary, but I find it to be helpful in extending case life as do many others. You can really feel the difference resizing cases that have been freshly annealed vs. ones that have gone several cycles without annealing. I now anneal every other time using my bench source as it's just too easy.

Your list is a good start, but Hornady case and bullet comparators for the calibers you load are worthwhile investments.

If you want to buy a trimmer once, buy the Giraud trimmer and be done with it. I've done the manual route, I've done the powered version of the manual trimmers as well, nothing works quite as well as the Giraud. It will handle the trimming, chamfering, and deburring of the cases all in one simple and fast step. I would never go back to trimming cases another way short of a trimmer for my Dillon.

I'll look into the comparators.

I guess I forgot to mention, but I'm not shooting competitions or anything. Just plinking steel and paper out to 500yds max. A comparator might be overkill for me...but seem cheap enough to give it a try and see how it effects accuracy.

And the Giraud...thanks, but $400+ is totally out of the question. I took a deep breath plopping down $145 for the LE Wilson. The manual should be fine for me. I'll only be doing about 100rds at a time. My friend has one that you chuck the shell holder in a drill and hold the cutter in your hand. It's quick, that's for sure...

Annealing isn't necessary, but I find it to be helpful in extending case life as do many others. You can really feel the difference resizing cases that have been freshly annealed vs. ones that have gone several cycles without annealing. I now anneal every other time using my bench source as it's just too easy.

That's what I was planning on doing. Annealing every 2-3 cycles. Neck sizing only until FL sizing was needed. Anything to help lengthen brass life is fine with me...

My friend stands them up in a pot of water to anneal them. I want to make an automated one for the both of us to use...

I'd say an RCBS Chargemaster should be on your short list, before you know it you'll have at least two! A Dillon swager is a must if you plan on any 5.56 mil brass, other than that the list looks good for starting. Good luck!

A pair of shell holder trays are very helpful. Do you have a caliper? Need one of those (some prefer dial, others like digital), and I didn't see reloading manual on your list anywhere. Appropriately sized case brush to get the neck cleaned after trim/chamfer/deburr step.

A pair of shell holder trays are very helpful. Do you have a caliper? Need one of those (some prefer dial, others like digital), and I didn't see reloading manual on your list anywhere. Appropriately sized case brush to get the neck cleaned after trim/chamfer/deburr step.

Yes, I have trays -ordered them with the other stuff. I have calipers as well (I've got damn near any automotive tool you can think of). The book is on my need list..might get a couple different ones. I took pictures of the .308 pages of the books at a local store to get me going a few weeks ago. The brush must have slipped my mind...I remember seeing people mount them on their case trimmers as it seems like most are threaded for them. Thanks!

A lot of time and a little OCD will get you going.

I've got more than enough OCD to go around....and time is no problem (I work nights, single, no kids...damn...now I'm getting depressed! At least I'll have something to take my mind off it now! Haha)

Well, all I need now is a powder scale, tumbler, and an annealer setup. I'm working on the tumbler now. I pulled some steel out of my pile for the frame, and am going out tomorrow to find some PVC. I went to Lowes today, and while they had a 2' piece of 6" sewer pipe...they had NO caps or reducers or anything else in the 6" range. Home Depot was lacking even more. I'm going to hit up some plumbing supply places tomorrow.

Oh...and a place to reload! Is there anyone here who reloads in a spare bedroom?

Our garage is automotive/metal fabrication only...and full.
Our basement is a woodshop...and full.

My bedroom is about the only chance I have...and it's almost full! Haha

Quality set of dial calipers. Several reloading manuals. Hornady and Sierra and good. There's a guy on the hide who offers annealing service and his work is first rate. Save your money on annealing for now and if you decide to really get into save your coins and buy a Giraurd case trimmer. I prefer Redding dies with the competition seating die. Most important thing I would recommend is a reloading mentor to help get you going.

After every conceivable setup from the kitchen table, to the garage, to a shed in the back yard..I now enjoy the blessing of a dedicated indoor reloading room.

Good luck and good shooting.