• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

reloading equipment whats the best ?

motokita

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2011
austin texas
I want to start reloading and I am looking at the following items
C press
Tumbler
scales
dispensers

I just wanted to see what everyone though worked the best. Need to reload for rifles and hand guns

Re: reloading equipment whats the best ?

Get an O type press. Not a C press.

Tumbler. Midway has one that can't be beat for the price I believe it is Frankfort Arsenal. I have had one for 15 years and it is going strong through many thousands of brass many times over, as well as moly coating back when it was the rage.

Scales. I will not reccomend an electronic scale, sorry. They will never make one as accurate as a balance beam for the average reloader. Oh I have some digital scales at work that make a balance beam look like a cheap kitchen diet scale in accuracy terms but you don't want to purchase one unless you have an incredible expendable income and they are as delicate as a quail egg, they also require a marble table to set on that would make your floor joists groan. Get a RCBS 505 they are plenty adequate for anything you want to do within reason. You will get plenty more suggestions and name brands. At the very least get a metal one.

Dipensers. Lemme get you straight right out the gate. It is a Powder MEASURE. Not a dispenser, not a thrower, not a dump...a measure.
The Uniflow is good, the Redding is real good, the Lyman is not bad and uses an old Culver style system that MAY be a bit more uniform with extruded powders. I may be wrong about it being Culver style as some were customized way back. The bone stock 55 Lyman uses a different powder cavity system and is almost infinately adjustable. I know the Lyman is a bugger to get a consistent setting. It is the first measure I ever used 29 years ago. Hornady is probably a good measure I never used one. The Harrell's is top of the line in hand operated. Again get one in metal. I know Lee fans just crapped their pants and I say to that there is no free lunch....you get what you pay for. If you pay $20 for a powder measure you get exactly that. My uniflow has been with me for over 20 years. I loaded 60 rounds with H322 Friday night and shot them Saturday. Every load dropped spot on...22.7gr on a balance beam.

Get some loading manuals and READ them. Not the load tables but the basics of reloading. Do this first.
That is my 2 cents and I have been around. Take it for what its worth. Good luck and be careful.

I use both RCBS and Dillon equipment. The RCBS press I use is an old discontinued model, but the closest current one would be the Rock Chucker. As was stated above, stick with an O style press. More rigid than an open C style. For case cleaning, I have a Frankford Arsenal and a Dillon tumbler. For scales and dispensers, I have an RCBS Chargemaster combo which combines an electronic scale with a powder dispenser. It's much faster for weighing out large numbers of charges vs. a beam scale, but you still want a good beam scale as a backup. The electronic scales can be buggy sometimes. Fluorescent lighting and such can effect them. Ohaus make a lot of the beam type scales for companies like RCBS and Dillon. For a powder measure,I use an RCBS Competition measure. It's pretty much a Uniflow with a micrometer adjustment. For handgun reloading I use a Dillon RL 550B. That machine has it's own powder measure in station number 2. While I use the Dillon for faster high volume handgun loads, people do use it for precision rifle loads. As was stated, get reloading manuals and read the instructional sections until you thoroughly understand what you are doing.

The nicest/best piece of reloading equipment to buy, and it is a little pricey, is an RCBS chargemaster. I could kick myself in the ass for waiting so long to buy one, but it seemed like a huge purchase @ $300.

You won't realize how great it is until to switch from the 'ol dispense, weigh, trickle method to hitting "disp" on the chargemaster keypad.

i use rcbs reloading equipment.. but my buddys trying to convert me to a forster co-ax. the coax press feels effortless to size brass.

Best is very subjective.

IMHO the best production press is the Forster Co-Ax.

I use SS Media is a Thumlers Model B HS, this is the easiest way I have found to clean brass, and I mean clean.

The best reloading scale\dispenser is the Prometheus Gen 2. If you have to ask how much you cannot afford it.

thats rifle, for handgun get a Dillon 650

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Best is very subjective.
</div></div>

I like:

Co-ax press
Forster dies
Forster trimmer
RCBS beam scale and trickler
Redding BR powder measure
Lyman tumbler

and digital calipers, measuring gadgets, and various case prep tools.

Very few items are agreed on as being the "best", and most of those are expensive.

Case trimmers are a good example.
The Lee hand trimmer works fine. My Forster works better. Add a micrometer head to a trimmer and it's better. Buy a Giraud, and you've more than likely bought the "best".

Not only is "best" subjective, it's almost purely a matter of personal preference/taste/predijuce. IF there were any clear best of anything it would dominate the market; no one dominates because there is no certain winner. A few die DESIGNS such as Forster and Reddings do have some small advantages over others but even then the effective differences are not huge.

Fact is, virtually all of our common reloading tools are capabile of producing much better ammo than the users are skilled enough to assemble.

The best is a set up that meets your needs and is affordable to you. My strater kit was an RCBS Rockchucker with powder dispenser, hand primer, handcrank trimmer and 505 scale. They have cut the kits down a bit since then. For a tumbler the Frankfort Arsenel brand from Midway will do fine.

There is debate over buy the most expensive first or work your way up. To ask a few questions to decide a good starting point, what caliber are you loading, what range are you shooting, what are you ammunition expectations, what are you skill limitations? Dies for some calibers are only avail from some companies others are avaiable from everyone and have a wide range of prices, $30 to 300 for a set of .308 dies depending on who or what. A longer range load may require more repeatability and prep work than a basic kit will provide, for example preping primer pockets or turning necks might be required to meet your goals or expectations. Along with this goes expectations a minute of angle load will be fine for Service Rifle matches but not for Bench Rest. and finally for your skills, not a knock by any means, do you need a sub minute of angle load for one hole groups or are you looking for inexpensive 2 minute of angle ammo. These questions will help decide what you need, getting started can run a few hundred dollars or a couple of thousand depending on these answers, as your skill level or requirments change your equipment may change. For example if you shoot Service Rifle and move into F-Class your dies may change or you may need a new press too. I've used a little of everybodies equipment and most has pluses and minuses. A lot of them are based on personal opinion or relative ease of operation.

The Redding Big Boss line look to be the best value in an o-frame press. Their dies are top-notch as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll find the best of everyting here:

www.sinclairintl.com

</div></div>

This place is your friend. I use an RCBS Rock Chucker press, RCBS rangemaster digital scale, and Harrells Powder measure. Forester dies are excellent, same with Wilson. Another thing I will highly recommend is a hand primer. Sinclair makes an awesome one.

I'll say that I wish I had one. They cost more but they save so much time.

Got a case tumbler/brass sorter from Cabellas. Been running for 7 years.

Using Lyman treated corn cob media.

Hornady One Shot case lube for bottle neck case sizing.

Have a Hornady LNL progresive press for high capacity pistol rounds, .223 and others that I am comfortable loading on a progressive.
Powder measure on it throws ball and small flake powders +/- .1

RCBS "O" style press for rifle.

Also have an RCBS BR measure. It'll cut some of the long grain kernals, but it's consistent.

I like Hornady dies. Fit, finish seem to be on par with all others. Customer service is what make's or breaks 'em.

Also, recommend a beam scale. Digitals can be fussy, power fluctuations, air currents. Have one, use it for weigh sorting case's, cast bullets and the like.

Oh, Yeah, get your hands on and read, really read, reloading manuals, as many as your pocket book can stand!

Dial or digital 6" caliper, choice. Buy quality. shop around.

Got a Lyman trimmer as a door prize at on of my first IHMSA shoots. Has a hand crank and power drill attachemnt, works for me.
Dillion has a brass primer flipper that I prefer over the plastic ones. Plastic=static electricty. Bad combo.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not only is "best" subjective, it's almost purely a matter of personal preference/taste/predijuce. IF there were any clear best of anything it would dominate the market; no one dominates because there is no certain winner. A few die DESIGNS such as Forster and Reddings do have some small advantages over others but even then the effective differences are not huge.

Fact is, virtually all of our common reloading tools are capabile of producing much better ammo than the users are skilled enough to assemble. </div></div>

Bullshit. Go to Camp Perry and ask the top ten shooters what they load on. Guarantee it's not Lee and RCBS.

Fact is, a lot of stuff out there wouldn't make a good boat anchor. Buy the best and don't think twice about it.

I'd be willing to bet most of the top ten don't roll their own anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be willing to bet most of the top ten don't roll their own anymore. </div></div>

What makes you think that?

Marlena,
I have used a rcbs rockcrusher with great results for me
Redding dies have been very consistant
You don't have to have a chargemaster(rcbs) but the are very handy.
I have a old lyman tumbler that has done fine.
I can't say these are the best but have made very accurate ammo for me.
A good reloading book and read it thoroughly.

good luck

"My uniflow has been with me for over 20 years. I loaded 60 rounds with H322 Friday night and shot them Saturday. Every load dropped spot on...22.7gr on a balance beam."

Yeah, but you cheated; ALL MEASURES drop ball powders like water! NONE of the iron measures do really well with tubular powders and none I've tried do as well as Lee's cheep-o adjustable. We always get what we pay for...or less.

RCBS. The rockchucker will pound out rounds as fast as you can make them. Plus all their stuff is top notch.

"RCBS. The rockchucker will pound out rounds as fast as you can make them. Plus all their stuff is top notch."

As a matter of curosity, the RC is just one of several current presses in its class; the Lyman Crusher, Redding Boss, Hornady LnL, Lee Classic Cast are all basically the same press design and construction; in your personal experience, in what way do you feel the RC is better or faster than the others? And, which of the others do you feel are 'low' notch stuff?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be willing to bet most of the top ten don't roll their own anymore. </div></div>

What makes you think that? </div></div>

For service rifle most of the teams are contracting ammo out. For long range I'd agree that a good percentage do load their own or theirs and someone elses. I probably should have stated that better, not trying to start something just posting at the wrong time of the night and put up short answers sometimes. If work didn't get in the way I'd conduct the survey and post it here.

I started 30 years ago with all RBCS. That was before the internet, and RBCS was what my dealer carried. For years I made what I thought were some real good loads with it, too. Over time I've tried a lot of brands and only a few items were complete junk. I still use that first Rockchucker press, among others, but most of my stuff now is Redding, Sinclair, or LE Wilson, with a few Hornady, Forster and RBCS items thrown in. My measuring tools are much more expensive and varied than when I started, too. I don't have a Giraud trimmer, but I have two Graceys.

I could sit you down and list out everything I might use for your guns, but frankly you probably wouldn't get the benefit of those tools until you climbed the long learning curve. It would likely break the bank to buy it all at once, too.

This is one of those activities where you kind of have to work your way up through various stages. Just like any other set of tools, you start with what will get the job done and slowly acquire more and better tools as knowledge and the wallet will allow. There are obviously lots of opinions on which brands to start with. IMO, they can all serve you well. Except Lee. They make a few good things like the Classic press, but I've thrown out everything I ever had with that name on it. There's a reason it's cheap, IMO.

As for exactly which tools to get for now, I suggest you get a copy of the Lyman's reloading manual first. Read the text part cover to cover. It will tell you the basic how's and why's for each tool and each step of the process. Once you understand what the process is, you'll be able to answer your own question.

"I could sit you down and list out everything I might use for your guns, but frankly you probably wouldn't get the benefit of those tools until you climbed the long learning curve. It would likely break the bank to buy it all at once, too."

Well said Tex. But I sorta disagree about Lee stuff, even aside from the excellant Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses. Buying a pile of sophysticated tools that we don't know how to properly use not only is no help early on but can make learning much more confusing than it should be.

Lee's tools are specifically made for the low volume shooter desiring to do good work at minimal cost. It's all good too but little of it is intended for those of us serious shooting geeks that blow more powder down range in a year than most guys do in a lifetime. And, given the start-up costs and required learning curve, any money a noob spends even on Lee's basic tools isn't wasted at all. Later, if he does decide he wants something bigger, he will have the experience to make a better choice himself. And he sure won't have a lot of money tied up in it but can have an extra press, etc, for unusual purposes!

I have two of Lee's tiny little "Reloader" C presses for special work. I've proven I can load up to 300 mag as accurately on them as my much bigger, heavier and vastly more expensive Rock Chucker. And that's not guessing or depending on my shooting, it can easily be proven with any concentricity gage!

From your post sounds like you are starting out Midway sells a Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press kit for $339.99 product number #646-599. Comes with
Rock Chucker Press
Uniflow powder measure
505 Scale
Hand primer tool
reloading block
case lube pad
case lube powder funnel
hex key wrench
debur tool
Speer Reloading manual

That is a good start there and reasonable for the money spent. Tumbler I use a Dillon 1200 and Dillon seperator but I think Frankford Arsenal's sells a Tumbler/Separator Kit #414-369 for $73.99 with some media and polish added.

Case trimmer stuff I have a Forester hand crank trimmer but I been using Lee Case Length hand trimmers more lately because I have to slow down and spend more time with each case and I think I catch more bad brass using the Lee trimmers.

Get a good Dail Caliper, mechanical dail stainless steel one my first choice before an electronic one. Batteries go dead over time.

Sierra and Hornady Reloading Manuals both are a must have. And if you was going to load any lead bullets for pistols then I may think about a Lyman Lead bullet reloading manual and a Lee Modern Reloading manaul for lead bullet reloading.

I would also get a powder measure stand for the RCBS Powder measure.

Get good sets of dies for your calibers you have. I have mostly RCBS dies pistols and hunting/semiauto rifles and a couple of Redding dies sets for my precision shooting rifles. I would go with Full Length resizing dies first till you get a handle on reloading before trying neck sizing shoulder bump dies.

There is lots of other stuff I like but I think I got most of the basic stuff to get started with. The others on this site will chime in with other good things to own that I didn't mention. I also own a Lee Classic Cast Press now that I think is a little bit better than RCBS Rock Chucker press on spent primer cleanliness but the Rock Chucker press is still quality product and does what it is intended for.
Hope this helps.

Press: Forster Co-Ax though I wouldn't mind having a Harrell's single stage press. Both of these assume ~308-sized casings or less. Both are small when it comes to magnums.

Tumbler: Thumler's Tumbler. The Model B with stainless steel media. Try to tumble for less than 2 hours as it does peen your case necks. Depending on the powder and the number of cases, you might be able to get away with an hour and fifteen minutes. I generally do an hour forty five.

Scales + Dispensers: There are a lot of ways to go about this. You can get the RCBS Chargemaster, which will get you +/- .2 grains pretty quickly. I use an Acculab VIC-123, which reads to .02 grains, but is more like +/- .04 grains in accuracy. You can dump with a Lee Perfect Powder Measure (you are throwing your money away with more expensive throwers) and trickle up with an RCBS trickler if you are anal. Or you can just use the Chargemaster. The Chargemaster is good most the time, but I was surprised at how off the scale can be. As mentioned above, for the Acculab, you really need a marble slab to set the scale on. I bought one, so all in, my charging set up is pretty expensive. Prometheus is the best, but at $3,000 or so, hard to justify.

I'm very happy making 308 with my single stage setup.

RCBS Rock Chucker
RCBS Chargemaster
Redding Type-S Bushing Dies
Sinclair Micrometer Trimmer
SS Media wet tumbler

Great tool is the Hornady comparator to measure the ogive. Just make a dummy round and cut 2 slits in the neck and push that into the chamber to measure your rifle's ogive.

Anything by Hornaday is the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Best is very subjective.

IMHO the best production press is the Forster Co-Ax.

I use SS Media is a Thumlers Model B HS, this is the easiest way I have found to clean brass, and I mean clean.

The best reloading scale\dispenser is the Prometheus Gen 2. If you have to ask how much you cannot afford it.

+1 but i po boy with chargemaster

thats rifle, for handgun get a Dillon 650

</div></div>

I use:

Rock Chucker
Hornady lock N Load dispenser and scale combo
Tumbkler: My dads old school tumbler not even sure the name (big red round tubs that spin on a belt driven roller bar. but works great!
The Hornady OAL guage and Comparator

I am sitting in my office killing time so I thought I would reply. I have over 30 years of reloading experience and during that time I may not have tried everything but I've tried a lot. Off the top of my head here is a list of my current gear. I don't claim each piece of equipment is the best---only that it is currently serving me well. Since this is coming off the top of my head it is in no particular order and I may stop if I get tired.

RCBS Rockchucker press and shell holders
RCBS JR press (no longer made)
Redding competition sizing dies w/ neck size bushings
Expander dies
Sinclair Arbor press
Wilson micrometer seating dies
Redding balance beam scale
RCBS 1500 electronic scale
RCBS 750 electronic scale
Harrell Powder Measure+ Sinclair Stand
Redding and Saturn (the best) powder funnels
Redding and RCBS powder tricklers
Forster trimmer with power adapter and assorted bits
Redding competition shellholders (a must)
Sinclair bullet comparatator plus various caliber inserts
Hornady Headspace tool + caliber inserts
Hornady OAL gage and various cartridge inserts
Sinclair Bump gage body and various inserts
Sinclair deburring,primer pocket and camfering tools
Sinclair power adapter
Sinclair neck turning tools (lots I no longer use)
RCBS priming tool w/ extra trays for various primers
Inertia bullet pullers (2) (almost worn out)
Sinclair hex comparator and insert style comparator
Davidson seating checker (not good)
Sinclair Concentricity Gage,length gage
Sinclair neck sorting tool
Dial indicators (3)
Micrometers (3)
Starrett calipers--2 dial 1 electric
Hornady steel lock rings for many but not all dies
Sinclair loading blocks (6)
RCBS case tumbler
RCBS case neck brushes and power adapter
Electric screwdriver

I'm sure I have other bits and pieces but I think I have included most of it. The only other thing I would add is that you don't need half this stuff and I wish I had spent more time shooting and less time loading. I also wouldn't mind still having some of the $ back

GOOD LUCK----ITS FUN!!!!

Whatever you choose for a brand is fine, my only suggestion is that you buy a single stage press first, and learn to use it before you try a turret or progressive press. This will help teach you all the steps in the reloading process, where if you learned on a progressive, it would be harder to learn everything that is going on during the process.

I wouldn't say I am a master reloader by any stretch of the term, but I have been doing it for about 10 years now. My advice is if you know it's something you are going to stick with (and I suggest you do), then buy quality equipment from the get go. Spend a little extra now and be all set and done. Reloading equipment has a way of building up over the years. That being said, you don't have to spend a ton of money if you have time and patience on your side.

For rifle I use the following with very good results. I'm not burning rounds out.. but I can do 100rds a night and not be rushing.

Press: RCBS RockChucker (but would like to try the Co-Ax)
Dispencer: Lee Plastics (I have one for each caliber b/c they are cheap and don't have to set-up everytime I change calibers)
Trickler: RCBS
Scale: RCBS 5-0-5
Dies: Combination of Lee, Forester and RCBS
Primer: Hornady Hand Primer.. not bad but not the best.
Shell Holders: RCBS
Lube: Hornady One-Shot
Brass Prep Tools: RCBS, Wilson, Forester

Good luck.. it's fun and relaxing for me.