• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

reloading for 338 lapua

muscles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
ut
hello, I'm looking for some advice on reloading for 338 lapua. i currently only reload for 45 acp, and have a lee pro 1000 and a handheld lee press.

I'm looking for a solid, but affordable single stage press & dies. I have been looking at the RCBS gear. Regarding the dies, I see that there are neck dies, and full length dies. do i need both? I'm assuming that i neck size only until after a few loadings and would possibly need to full length resize at some point.

the brass i currently have is hornady, although I'm looking to add some lapua brass in the future. I'm considering using 300 gr sierra match kings, h1000 powder, and not sure on which primers should be used.

any recommendations on a case trimmer, and a powder measure? any other gear i will need?

I'm new to reloading rifle cartridges and and input would be appreciated. these will be shot out of my savage FCP HS at long range.

Thanks in advance!

Re: reloading for 338 lapua

Muscles, you are asking too much in one posting.

Most, no probably ALL the answers you are seeking are right here on this forum in the Reloading subforum you have already found. But, you have to use the search feature, because nobody wants to retype the same info for you that they typed to answer someone else's dientical question a few days or weeks ago.

But, here's a start for you.

I just started loading 338 Lapua, and raneg tested my first output last Saturday. My best 3-shot group at 100 yards was 3/16 of an inch. My best 4-shot group at 250 yards was 3/4 inch vertical by under 2 inches horizontal, in a wind, with no wind correctino attempted. I say this not to brag, but to show you that YOU cna get greta results your first time out if you READ and UNDERSTAND what others have posted here. That is what I did.

here's my "kit" and technique" for these rounds:

Hornady Classic "O" press with Lock-N-Load feature for quick and accruate die changes

Redding Competition die set ($$$ but worth it) inclduing FL sizer for soemtimes use, micrometer-equipped neck sizing die, micrometer equipped seating die. I use a .365" bushing in the neck sizing die, as that gives me perfect outcomes with both Lapua and Hornady cases (.015" wall thickness). If you have a bolt rifle you need the full length "body" die (as Redding calls it) to size used cases intially and then whenever the cases get too "large" to chamber properly. if you have a semiauto, you need to full length size EVERY time for safety (read on this forum for why).

Sierra 300g Matcking Bullets

Retumbo powder. 85 grains and 87 grains both gave great results in my abbreviated testing, but you can PERHAPS safely go to 91 to 94 grains AFTER A SAFE LOAD DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM, DEPENDING UPON YOUR SPECIFIC RIFLE.

I use a Sinclair / Wilson hand trimmer for certain technical advantages you can search out on this forum or at the Sinclair website. Expensive, but very precise. If you have more money to spend, you can get a motorized Giraud trimmer.

I do not use a pwoder measure. I use an RCBS combination scale and dispenser, which you can also search for info on on this very forum.

If you send me an email to my email address (not a PM, PMs cannot handle "attachments"), I will send you my Excel worskheet document that tells ALL, in way more detail than you probably want, and it will save you a lot of search time. You haven't even mentioned many items you will need. My email address is: [email protected]

Jim G

jim,

i appreciate your response, and will begin to read up on existing information. i will say that it is a bit overwhelming but you are right...i have some homework to do.

i will email you, and thank you for your response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muscles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hello, I'm looking for some advice on reloading for 338 lapua. i currently only reload for 45 acp, and have a lee pro 1000 and a handheld lee press.

I'm looking for a solid, but affordable single stage press & dies. I have been looking at the RCBS gear. Regarding the dies, I see that there are neck dies, and full length dies. do i need both? I'm assuming that i neck size only until after a few loadings and would possibly need to full length resize at some point.

the brass i currently have is hornady, although I'm looking to add some lapua brass in the future. I'm considering using 300 gr sierra match kings, h1000 powder, and not sure on which primers should be used.

any recommendations on a case trimmer, and a powder measure? any other gear i will need?

I'm new to reloading rifle cartridges and and input would be appreciated. these will be shot out of my savage FCP HS at long range.

Thanks in advance! </div></div>

Sleeper deal for a SS O-frame press is the Lee Classic Cast Iron O-frame press. Made in the USA on CNC machinery out of hard railroad rails. Anywhere from $90-$100. This will also load up the 50 BMG, if you care, it's that beefy/big. This is the one I'll get to supplement my Dillon 550b, which handles my 338LM ammo just fine.

Buy right, buy once, cry once.

For the dies, either get the Forster micro seater die, or the Redding Competition seater die.

For sizing, get a Redding bushing neck sizer with the .364" and .365" TiNi bushings and get their Body die. If you need to full length size, you have the Body die. If you want to just neck size (I can go 2-3 cycles just neck sizing) you're good to go.

I use a Lyman Universal trimmer with power drill adapter bar and that's been fine for 17 years. I have a ChargeMaster 1500 from RCBS for my more precise chargings, otherwise I'll just use the Dillon measure for plinking/zombie ammo.

I generally use Federal 215 Match primers and since my 1:12" twist Sako can handle mostly the 250s, I stick with those out to 1000 yards.

Powders, I like H-4831sc, VV-165, VV-170 and H-1000, but also have some RL-25, which I have yet to use.

Load to the distance you intend to shoot and if you want your barrel to last, don't load super hot when you're only going to shoot at shorter ranges.

This will save your throat and add rounds to the barrel's lifespan.

Chris

I have a .338 and all RCBS kit to reload it like you I have Hornady brass but I have mainly Lapua brass the lapua brass is by far the best it does not need to be re sized until after 4-5 rounds the hornady brass after abuot 3 at least in my chamber
also when choosing a case trimmer I have the rcbs trim pro and the shell holders you will need are the 14, 37 and a 5 the lapua brass will not fit in the 14 or 37 shell plate on the trim pro RCBS sent me the 5 and it is just a tick loose but it works. also I prefer Retumbo powder for the .300 grn Scenar and
RL 22 for 250 grainers. You will want a neck die and FL die. Good luck with your .338 their fun to say the least

Jim,

I to am getting started in reloading for the 338LM,
great info. Would you be willing to share the spreadsheet
with others?
Thanks
Randy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camo27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim,

I to am getting started in reloading for the 338LM,
great info. Would you be willing to share the spreadsheet
with others?
Thanks
Randy </div></div>

Sure. Just send me an email, to: [email protected]

and I'll reply with the spreadsheet attached, Remember though that it's set up for MY objectives, MY safety standards, and MY rifle. You'll need to modify it to your needs and to ensure that you create a SAFE load!

I learn SO much at this forum, and am glad to be able to give as well as take.

Jim G