• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading for a semi auto

wade2big

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
Do I need to use small base dies to reload for a .308 AR10? I need to purchase dies and want to make sure I’m doing right. Its a Daniel defense. I have no experience loading for a semi auto. Reliability is the priority.

Honestly if your chambers are good and your not running a retarded gas/ buffer combo you will probably be fine.

If ultimate shtf reliability was a concern I would def use a SB die..

I usually toss gas gun brass between 3-6 reloads

In my experience any die from a reputable company will work just fine. There is no need to seek out anything 'special'.

Just so long that you are properly full length resizing and not doing something dumb like neck sizing only you should be fine.

If reliability is super important, get a rollsizer. Small base dies don't generally accomplish what they set out to do without creating some other issues.

If fired in your rifle only you should be good as long as you stay away from max loads and are not over gassed. If you intend to use brass fired from another rifle or a M60 or M240 you will probably need a SB die.

...based on your stated experience level in reloading, I would recommend you go with the RCBS AR series dies for .308. The dies are essentially FL/SB (full length/small base) and eliminate one potential issue you could encounter when reloading for a gasser. https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell...base-taper-crimp-die-set---ar-series/780.html

....One never knows what exactly the purchased rifle/barrel chamber is, tight, medium or loose...it would depend on how much wear has occurred on the reamer used for it. Improper/insufficient shoulder bump is commonly mistaken for an oversized web case when a sized casing won't chamber properly.

....I would seriously recommend obtaining a slotted case gauge from Sheridan Engineering, it can be used to set up your dies, determine bullet seating depths, determine shoulder bump, casing trim length, cartridge overall length (COAL) of loaded round, etc., all in a single glance. For new reloaders this is one of the best expenditures on tools that will eliminate many of the frustrations they may encounter by eliminating the "guessing".. https://sheridanengineering.com/product/308-win-ammunition-gauge/

i use a FL sizer die for my GAP ar10.

then competition dies for seating them @2.8

....I would seriously recommend obtaining a slotted case gauge from Sheridan Engineering, it can be used to set up your dies, determine bullet seating depths, determine shoulder bump, casing trim length, cartridge overall length (COAL) of loaded round, etc., all in a single glance. For new reloaders this is one of the best expenditures on tools that will eliminate many of the frustrations they may encounter by eliminating the "guessing".. https://sheridanengineering.com/product/308-win-ammunition-gauge/
seconded wholeheartedly. one of the best reloading tool I have on the bench and used daily.
I would happily pay a second chambering fee to every gunsmith providing such a tool using the cut away part of the barrel. My usual application is to ensure smooth chambering into prs bolt gun but same applies to ARs.