• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for dpms lr308 jump to lands ?

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I built a dpms lr308 and went with a jp 18" 1:10 barrel I have not done too much shooting with it yet probably 200 rounds but can't seem to get the great results others are getting with factory dpms barrels. I started reloading and found my max oal for my pmags to be around 2.81". So far I have tested smk 175 over varget my jump at mag length is .116" from reading the reloading articles seems jump shoul be .03" off lands to .015 into lands. My best groups so far are hovering around 1moa usually closer to 1.5. Is my chamber reamed wrong or do I need to keep experimenting? I have also tested hornady super performance 165 and 178 factory and federal gmm 168 and 175 same results. Thanks for any help

Re: Reloading for dpms lr308 jump to lands ?

I have cfe223 powder and Sierra 168 175 and hornady 168 and 155 amax bullets to try also but don't want to burn through components if the problem might be the barrel. Last gun has a geissele trigger and ior 2-12 scope so it should be a shooter no cheap parts to blame and I'm not the best shooter but my winchester 7mag and my savage 17hmr I a able to consistently shoot sub 1 moa. So I would like to think its not the shooter.

What if you single load a few longer rounds at different OALs? See if they improve your groups.

the gas gun (especially in a chambering that has significant recoil effects) will always be more difficult to get results than a bolt gun

my strategy would be:

do not blame the equipment/ load

put away the top shelf components for a while

develop a reasonable priced load with bulk bullets/ brass/ powder - something .40 or under

shoot it in all positions/ weather conditions etc for at least 4000 rds

concentrate on improvement not an arbitrary moa #

then think about equipment changes/ developing using premium loads

Try 178 amax's at mag length, they don't mind a long jump.

Great advice so far thanks for the replies. Does anyone have measurement on other barrels such as factory dpms? Just curious if my chamber is normal or off.

Are there other magazine offerings that would allow you a little longer OAL? I don't have any experience with the AR-10 platform, but it really sounds like your mag is what is keeping you from being where you need to be.

Larue has mags that say they have more room but don't give any specs. I might call them and find out. But easiest first test is to load some long and single feed them and see what the results are. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Another thing you might try is seating your bullets deeper if you don't get what you're looking for. Just be aware if you do keep a close eye on pressure signs, especially if you're already close to max. I've had good results with this on a load that wouldn't group the way I thought it should.

I'm working on a load for my LR-308 I assembled with all JP BCG & 16" JP Supermatch barrel.

Yesterday I finished a seating depth test @ 2.815, 2.810, 2.805 & 2.800. 168 Amax, Hornady cases, 44.5 gn IMR 4064 & CCI BR-2's. Average about 2450 fps in 60* F sunshine.

2.810" COAL wins the contest at less than 3/4" at 100 yards, 2.815 being close second. I'll load some 5 shot groups of this recipe and shoot them, well no, first I want to load a primers test.

I have CFE 223 too. I worked up too 48.4 grains of that in Win brass and 168 Amax and 47.9 gn seems good but still needs work. 2600 out of the 16". Work up slow too that if you go that far with it. Those were seated to 2.800, I will try again and dial this load too.

Nofail what is the measurement to the lands on your barrel?

^ I have no idea but I don't care so much since I'm limited with Pmag. 2.815" and they're about max in there. I'm not interested in single feeding as it doesn't make sense to me in this case.

But it's probably the same as yours? I got mine last Feb/March 2012.

Edit: oh and Varget, 42.9 gn Varget, 168 Amax, Hornady brass & CCI BR-2. I like this one how it groups tight <.5 MOA @ 100. But yesterday the ES stank @ 44 fps!!

Maybe the case not filled enough with the Varget? I hear Varget likes to be full in the case. Or primers idk yet. It was only six consecutive shots I had with me yesterday. The 1st being highest fps, the next 4 being very tight ES, the last being the lowest fps. So maybe its okay i dunno.

But I have a OCW test ready with Varget in Hornady brass and everything else the same. From 44.5 to 45.8 grains Varget.

Sorry I'm just thinking out loud I think.

another one to try when you do not have much wiggle room for seating depth is crimp - I am not usually a fan, but it is another tool

I loaded up lake city brass with 175 smk federal gold medal primers 2.805" oal powder charges from 38.5-41.5 in 1/2 grain increments. I loaded 3 for each charge since I had never done a ladder test so I could confirm. My es was from 47fps to 82fps. Test were shot low to high then high to low and then low to high again. Rode 4 wheeler back and forth to mark each shot so barrel temp should have stayed pretty equal. Loads were not crimped thanks for the advice so far. I have a lee factory crimp die I might have to try. What is the theory with crimping? To help build pressure for a more complete burn?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Baron85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Larue has mags that say they have more room but don't give any specs. I might call them and find out. But easiest first test is to load some long and single feed them and see what the results are. Don't know why I didn't think of that.</div></div>

Larue 7.62 mags allow for a 2.850" COAL

SMKs usually do not mind jumping, I have jumped them alot. You will not likely get to the lands mag length so don't worry about it, I dont think that will hinder you with SMKs anyway.

Concentrate on follow through with gas guns. Keep the trigger back until you watch the impact on the target then reset. Gas guns put a real premium on being consistent with your body position, cheek weld, trigger pull and follow through, more so than bolt guns. My guess is that if you don't have much experience driving gas guns you are going through the same thing I went through when I switched.

Keep your smk load, and focus on fundamentals. I think you will see your groups shrink to moa or less.

^^ I'll have to check that out, thanks 50APIT.

Baron85, how do you like the IOR 2-12? I was thinking hard on that one.

I love the scope I admit it's the only high end scope I have much experience with. I liked the idea of the bdc turret when I bought it but now I have it kinda wish I had regular turrets. Doing the ladder test @ 400yards it was impacting between 6" to 12" low. I was told its made for 165grain bullets. Going to do some more testing and make a better decision. I love the glass and really like the reticle. I don't like the mill dots the hash marks seem more precise. And last wish I would have gone with more magnification. I will be buying another ior when the time comes though if that helps.

Thanks for all the responses this is my first precision semi auto so maybe like anything practice practice practice. I shoot 3 gun with my 223 but that's a different game next time out I will really focus on follow through.

I was reading on here somewhere today about tuning ammo for suppressors. I have a tbac 30ba I am waiting on paperwork for. Should be in the next couple weeks. Should I wait to keep working on developing a load till I get the suppresor or will it make a difference on the load?

Baron
You might look into the C-Products mags for additional "space". I have those as well as P-Mags with the limited space.Big difference in my JP BCG/Lilja barreled AR. Got to ladder both ways depending upon the distance im shooting. Keep in mind the c-prod mags are a little tough to get any more.... I recently picked up six mags for $18 each.

Ok thanks on the mag advice I think like what was suggested earlier I will load some long and hand feed them and see if there is any improvement worth justifying new mags. Looks like 2.85" for larue thanks for posting that.