• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for my DTA 338 Lapua

fireguyty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2010
Las Vegas
Gentlemen,
I have only recently found this web page, and have been reading all I can for the last 2 months. Due to range reports I decided on a DTA SRS in both 308 and 338. I have been reloading for quite some time in other calibers then the 338. I am going to go with Hornady brass (can't justify $2.25 per piece after just spending 7 large on a rifle). Remington 9 1/2 magnum primers. For powders I have IMR 7828, Winchester Supreme 780, H1000, and Hybrid 100V. I have yet to decide on bullet, but am leaning towards Lapua 300 Scener. That Berger is also tempting. I would like a bullet that is not to finicky to get working (thinking VLD).

I am not looking for specific load info, as I enjoy working my own up.

Here are my questions:

1: what bullet
2: any seating depth info for said bullet
3: any other powders I should try...Retumbo?

I appreciate the help, as I can tell from other threads that this place is loaded with knowledge.

Thanks,
Ty

Re: Reloading for my DTA 338 Lapua

IMO, Retumbo is tops for the 300's....for 250's I've done the best with VVN560. But I've only worked with two different .338LM's, both are Bartlein's, a 1-9.7" and 1-10". They both shoot 250's and 300's well.

Copy that, I'll pick up some Retumbo and VV N560.
Thanks.

Anybody else got anything for me?

300 gr. Scenar
92.0 gr. VV N170 (over published max)
CCI 250 Large Rifle Magnum Primer
Lapua Brass
Seated .010" off lands
2680 fps

If you do a search on 300 smk's you'll see quite a few using RL-25. Youll also see quite a few load examples. I think I'll probably give RL25 a try when the time comes.