• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading for precision, efficiently. What do you do?

Coloradocop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2010
Front Range of Colorado
After acquiring my latest precision rifle I began thinking about my reloading process. It has occurred to me that I'd shoot a lot more often (like I'd like to do) if I could simply speed up my reloading process. Sometimes it seems like I spend more time reloading than I do shooting, and that's not really the way I want things to be. As such, I thought it might be a good time to throw out a thread on this subject (even though I know it has probably been discussed before) to see what each of you do, *and* what equipment you use to produce high quality ammo with minimal effort!

So, what is your process, and how well do you like it?

Here's my current process (and some of my available equipment):

Pistol: Dillon 550b (no brainer, pretty quick and easy).

Precision Rifle: Single stage loading via a Lee Classic Turret press. I typically tumble my brass, then resize/decap the cases (full-length or neck sizing depending on my gun and my needs) and re-prime them. I then trim the cases using a manual lathe-style trimmer (which sucks), then I chamfer and debur the case mouths with one of those manual hand-held tools. The cases are then charged via an RCBS Chargemaster (I do appreciate its accuracy, but it isn't real fast and often overshoots the charge on stick powders). Finally, the cases go back to the press and get a bullet seated.

I'm trying to think of ways to make this process faster. I produce good ammo now, but it just takes too damn long to do so! So, I'd love to hear what each of you are doing, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to spend more time shooting and less time loading!

Like the guy below states, certain tools speed things up, I don't own any of them!
With this cold weather, it takes 2 1/2 hours to load 100rds, and 45 minutes to shoot them, things are never going to be even???
I do question priming before trimming, should pay some attention to the pockets themselves.

I have enough guns, I shoot all my brass for one before I start the sequence all over, ending up with primed brass and charge when I'm going to need it. Doesn't make much sense to load 500 cases when the last 350 wont shoot right because of throat erosion. With time constraints, and shooting opportunities, I realize most people can't do this, but it works here.

My only advice would be time management, set aside 30 minutes before work to trim, one evening to prime. Whatever you do, it's an uphill battle, and having your buddies waiting for you while you charge cases before you can go to the range really doesn't cut it!

Reactions: nikonNUT
I then trim the cases using a manual lathe-style trimmer (which sucks),
If you need to trim after each loading, then you are either not fitting the cases to your chamber properly, or a running way way hot loads.

then I chamfer and debur the case mouths with one of those manual hand-held tools.

RCBS trim pro with 3way cuter will make that a 1 step operation.

Get a powered case prep station. Rcbs, or Hornady make 'em. That will give you powered brushes for necks, and primer pockets, and if you want to hand chamfer necks, then you can at least let electricity do the turning of the tool for you.

The cases are then charged via an RCBS Chargemaster (I do appreciate its accuracy, but it isn't real fast and often overshoots the charge on stick powders).

Look on the net for the directions on how to adjust the charge masters logic on trickling in the powder. I did, and now I get zero overshoot.

While the charge master is weighing out charge #2 you can be seating a bullet on case #1.

Also have you tried loading the precision ammo on the 550? If you gave up 0.25 MOA but could produce ammo 4x faster would that be a worthwhile trade off for your 'practice' ammo?

I use a 550 and get .25moa out of my 308. I use a Lee collet die to size and De prime. No lube required. Then I prime them with a Lee hand primer. Then I hand weigh each load on a balance beam. I drop the powder into the tray with the Lee powder dippers and trickle the rest in. I then use the Lee bullet seater to seat my bullets. Doesn't take to long and I clean the brass with chemical cleaner every three to five firings

Sent from my SCH-I535

Surgikill: you are using your Dillon as a single stage?
Have you tried dropping powder and seating bullets progressively on the 550 to compare results?
I tried loading 308 on my 550 but couldn't get consistent headspace. Never tried it with the collet die though...

Trimming brass with a hand crank lathe type trimmer takes quite a bit of time. I use the Forster and though it is dead nuts accurate it takes a ton of time. I am looking at the little trimmer as an alternative.

After acquiring my latest precision rifle I began thinking about my reloading process. It has occurred to me that I'd shoot a lot more often (like I'd like to do) if I could simply speed up my reloading process. Sometimes it seems like I spend more time reloading than I do shooting, and that's not really the way I want things to be. As such, I thought it might be a good time to throw out a thread on this subject (even though I know it has probably been discussed before) to see what each of you do, *and* what equipment you use to produce high quality ammo with minimal effort!

So, what is your process, and how well do you like it?

Here's my current process (and some of my available equipment):

Pistol: Dillon 550b (no brainer, pretty quick and easy).

Precision Rifle: Single stage loading via a Lee Classic Turret press. I typically tumble my brass, then resize/decap the cases (full-length or neck sizing depending on my gun and my needs) and re-prime them. I then trim the cases using a manual lathe-style trimmer (which sucks), then I chamfer and debur the case mouths with one of those manual hand-held tools. The cases are then charged via an RCBS Chargemaster (I do appreciate its accuracy, but it isn't real fast and often overshoots the charge on stick powders). Finally, the cases go back to the press and get a bullet seated.

I'm trying to think of ways to make this process faster. I produce good ammo now, but it just takes too damn long to do so! So, I'd love to hear what each of you are doing, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to spend more time shooting and less time loading!

You can outsource your brass prep to a Hide member for about ten cents a piece.

Surgikill: you are using your Dillon as a single stage?
Have you tried dropping powder and seating bullets progressively on the 550 to compare results?
I tried loading 308 on my 550 but couldn't get consistent headspace. Never tried it with the collet die though...

The collet die is for neck sizing. I get a consistent 1.5 thousandths of neck tension with it on every round. I do not progressively use the Dillon for rifle, only for pistol. I use the Lee dead set bullet seater and only get about 1 thousandth of variation when measured to the ogive. To use it as a single stage I just pop out the brass pin on the third station.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Don't trim every time you reload. Figure out how long your chamber is, trim to 2.000, and don't trim for 10 firings.