• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Reloading for semi and bolt, same caliber

winniedonkey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Orlando
I am interested in opinions in loading the same caliber for a gasser and bolt rifles. I am familiar with the different dies available(not a SME though) however there seems to be a lot of options and opinions. Personally I'm loading 223/308, however I guess it could be any caliber.

I load the same 223 loads for service rifle competition and for my bolt gun. I full length resize all cases in a Redding full length size die. I also full length size my 6.5 CM precision rifle loads in a Redding full length die and shoot it in two different bolt guns.

I was reloading 308 for my Scar and a 700 SPS and both were different as it was more seating into the lands with the bolt action and for the gas I was seating mid cannelure. I had different dies and bolt action was on the single stage and scar on the 1050. I guess it depends on the rifles you are loading for.

I am interested in opinions in loading the same caliber for a gasser and bolt rifles. I am familiar with the different dies available(not a SME though) however there seems to be a lot of options and opinions. Personally I'm loading 223/308, however I guess it could be any caliber.

I'd keep the brass separate from each firearm. Often the chambers are slightly different and the one with the bigger chamber won't fit well in the other, yes even after resizing. This doesn't always apply but I've seen it happen a few times. Plus the brass coming out of the gas gun gets beat up more.

I don't want to have to mess with keeping different batches to shoot in different guns, to me it's more time and trouble than it's worth. I use precision mics to measure my cases before and after firing and before and after resizing and I have not had any issues with shooting the same load and brass in different rifles. Same with case life in an AR service rifle, yes it gets beat up a bit more, but I'm getting 10+ reloads from every batch of brass. To me it's more productive with my time to save time on reloading and more time practicing and competing.

I should mention that I'm loading length tolerant bullets so I don't need to be concerned about seating depth as much. I'm loading 75 BTHP Hornadys in .223, 175 Sierra MKs in 308, and Hornady 140 ELDMs inb 6.5 CM.

Last edited: