• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading in a hotel room?

finbox

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2009
I travel a lot (by car) for my job and sometimes have a lot of time to kill..and what better what to kill time that reloading!!

I know I can't lug my press around, and priming is easy to do in a hotel room. I would like to take my chargemaster and powder and throw some powder in my brass. the problem is the powder can easily jump out of the brass with my current shell holder setup when I carry my gear to and from the truck.

Anybody have any ideals how to keep the powder in the brass? Maybe little caps for each round, or a top that seals all of the brass in a 50 round block and held tight with rubber bands?

thanks

Re: Reloading in a hotel room?

What about a Lee Hand Press Kit? Then you can charge and seat the bullet and not worry about about losing powder moving everything back to your truck.

Will is seat 178 A-max as good as my redding comp dies?
About 15 in 50 of the 178 A-max are too short are too long..i can easly adjust the comp die for this. I have never used a Lee hand loader, is a good ideal! i will check into it

oh I did not know the Lee hand press took die's

i was thinking of the one you tap with hammer etc.

cool

I say go ahead and load them up. I have loaded many rounds in a hotel.Dont ask. Get a C-Clamp and a piece of that rubbery material your wife puts in the cabinents so the dishes dont fall out. Put it under your press and lock her down with the C-Clamp. Just dont let the maids see the hardware,May cause a stir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will is seat 178 A-max as good as my redding comp dies?
About 15 in 50 of the 178 A-max are too short are too long..i can easly adjust the comp die for this. I have never used a Lee hand loader, is a good ideal! i will check into it </div></div>

Too short or too long based on what measurement?

ojive to bottom of bullet. or ojive to head of brass.
it's as if two machines are making the bullets and putting them in the same box.

i usally find all the long ones and seat them then seat the short ones (only two sizes) if you just grab them out of the box and seat it's a pia

Lee Hand Press = all round useful tool and reasonably cheap too.

Sinclair Arbor Press with L.E. Wilson inline dies.

A RCBS Partner Press would work great in hotel room, I use one at the range to FL brass, I do all my bolt gun seating with a K&M Arbor Press with Wilson dies.

Finbox if your not actually seating the cases, you should look into some Plain Blood (Red Cap) Blood Tubes.

The Red cap ones have no chemical additives inside the tube and allow the blood to clot.

Anyway, you can pour powder into these and then decap them at your convenience and pour them straigh into the cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair Arbor Press with L.E. Wilson inline dies. </div></div>

Ditto.

Honestly, I would just bring your press and finish the job. Most times when I am going to a faraway range I end up doing my loading the night before in the hotel. I use a big plastic tote to bring all the gear up and just mount the press with a
C clamp. Only problem is when you are on the third floor with no elevators and all the gear is heavy as heck. Press is a RCBS rockcrusher but I've never been in a room where I can't mount it somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee Hand Press = all round useful tool and reasonably cheap too. </div></div>

I decap / size on the bench and load with the Lee Hand Press.

You can do all of the above, or instead of seating them all the way just push the bullets in to be about 0.1" longer than normal.

Seat them the rest of the way at home when you have a few spare minutes.

I've used my hand press to take seating depth test and charge weight test ammo to the range on the same day.

I shot the seating depth test, then finish seated all the charge weight test ammo to the best seating depth test.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair Arbor Press with L.E. Wilson inline dies. </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
Yep! </span> </span>

ReloadinginfrontofthecomputersoIcan.jpg

Mound any small press to a board. [Shown here is a $20 Lee press, but a $70 RCBS Partner aslo has an Aluminum frame.]
Clamp the board to a desk or table.

Put the lap top on the table just beyond the press.
You should be able to reload, watch a movie or TV on the lap top, and post on SH all at the same time.

buy:
a 30 inch long piece of 2" galvanized pipe threaded on both ends.
two 2" end flanges with bolt holes.
buy a piece of plywood either 1/2 or 3/4 inch approximately 12 by 24 inches.
buy a piece of 1X2 board (tomato stake) for the edges of the board, twice the length of the plywood (48 inches if finished plywood is 24 inches).
6 mounting bolts, nuts and washers.
some wood screws.

With 4 bolts, mount the flange in the center of the board width-wise, slightly back from center longways;
flip over and mount the 1x2 on the long edge with the wood screws, to raise the plywood base off the floor the height of the nut&bolt protruding from the bottom.
Screw in the pipe;
screw in the top flange and snug up; - you want it tight, but able to unscrew also.
setting you press on the top flange; make sure you have the long side of the base facing you when you pull the handle of the press (for leverage), measure and cut off the part of the flange that stops the press from aligning with the bolt holes in the top of the flange. This will center the press over the pipe; Bolt the press into place.

You can unscrew, if necessary or use as a one piece unit, it is portable. lower the press arm if moving to avoid pinching your hands in the press while moving.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> lower the press arm if moving to avoid pinching your hands in the press while moving. </div></div>

This sounds like the voice of experience.

arbor press and wilson seater is easy and doesn't take up space

Exactly. My favorite way to seat regardless availability of other presses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I travel a lot (by car) for my job and sometimes have a lot of time to kill..and what better what to kill time that reloading!!

I know I can't lug my press around, and priming is easy to do in a hotel room. I would like to take my chargemaster and powder and throw some powder in my brass. the problem is the powder can easily jump out of the brass with my current shell holder setup when I carry my gear to and from the truck.

Anybody have any ideals how to keep the powder in the brass? Maybe little caps for each round, or a top that seals all of the brass in a 50 round block and held tight with rubber bands?

thanks

I also am on the road all the time.. I do it all in the motel. Resize load and clean. I have my press on a board 4ft long 2x8 I just put my suitcase on the other end of it and let it sit on the spair bed. Works Great. Charge master and powder on the table and press tight next to me.. Almost like being at home. Just make sure that you are in a Motel that dosen't have MORONS working there that think that making ammo is tabu...

</div></div>

Here is mine
0516110030151.jpg